Wow! No Shopping Carts Thread?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Neville Telen, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

For a long time I packed in groceries using my crook-handle cane. For one bag I used it hobo-style, and for two bags it was vietnamese style (a bag on each end). Years of that took its toll on my neck, and I finally wised up and got a shopping cart. When one wore out I'd get another, each time trying to find a better one. Well, I finally found one I got no complaints with:
    https://www.versacart.us/
    I'd recommend it, but here are some others I've found that look worthwhile, for them that like choices:

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Gard...n-Folding-Shopping-Cart/12352968/product.html
    https://www.modcomplete.com/products/mdc77037
    https://www.ebay.com/i/322733358992?chn=ps&fl=a
    https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...ing-cart-insert-bag/1041504925?skuId=41504925

You will note all have one thing in common....front wheels that swivel. Whatever else you do, don't buy the cheapo junk with fixed front wheels. The time and effort you waste getting it to go where you want is not worth the pittance you save on the cheaper price. By the way, if you find a cart you think is superior to those listed here, do let me know. I'm always looking for a better cart!

Yvonne Smith and Von Jones like this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I like the stair climbing cart best. What I use is a homemade garden cart with a large bin on it.

Neville Telen likes this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have used a wire cart for years to haul grocery into the house. But its small and I need to get a bigger one.

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I use a bag on wheels, gets the shopping done a treat

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ive never used a cart...maybe because I drive to the store?

Sheldon Scott and Ken Anderson like this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

It's all very well having a Shopping cart ( shopping trolley) to prevent you having to carry the shopping in Bags, I tried it because I have a Lower back problem... however trying to lift that heavy loaded thing into the car at the supermarket and back out again at home was impossible...so I just have to cope with several bags ...

7. Holly Saunders

Registered

So Do I CC... but by the time I've walked around many stores in the Mall or on the high street I can end up with a lot of shopping...so I have to keep returning to the car with stuff so it doesn't get too heavy for me...it's a PITA... here in the Uk Shopping trolleys are not fashionable at all.. and looked upon as only for the elderly.. whearas in Spain the ladies think nothing at all of using shopping trolleys, regardless of age.. especially as most of them buy their food at the markets and nearest supermarkets which are just a few minutes walk from their homes .

When I was a child Shopping trolleys in the UK were used by everyone, I remember my mum who would only have been in her 20's having one...again she walked to the store... but really...trying to struggle with a full trolley into the car when we have to drive miles to the nearest stores or high streets , it's just not feasible to try and lift a heavy trolley in and out of the boot of the car

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Since I go to the store almost every day I don't have that much to bring in. It's not a very far walk from my garage to the kitchen either.

I can lift a 24 case of bottled water but that's my limit. Don't think I buy anything heavier than that.

The hardest part is putting it in and especially getting it out of the trunk because I have to bend and lift.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  9. Holly Saunders

Registered

Exactly and bending and lifting a completely full shopping trolley is a complete No- No...

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Two years ago we decided to get a front-wheel swivel "Granny Shopping Cart" that collapsed flat. Getting the front-wheels to line up correctly, so the cart would collapse flat, wasn't very easy sometimes. Anyway, our neighbor used one and it sure look easier than hauling all of the shopping bags into our apartment by hand. Our cases of water we take into our apartment with a 2-wheeler.

Funny, though, the only people that use these carts, that we have now seen, are Seniors. So again, we felt like "Seniors", which isn't necessarily a good feeling........but is a fact. We only used it for grocery shopping, but had to put it in the back seat of our SUV when we went shopping. The cases of water that we buy are too heavy to put in the cart, as is a bottle of Bleach and/or Clothes Soap. We still use ours, but not nearly as much as we use to. It sits, folded up, in our one closet most of the time. But, if we need it, it's there!

11. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Why not just unload the bags into the car ................

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

This cart isn’t for taking into a store, it’s purpose is........loading plastic bags of lighter weight groceries into it at home and wheeling them (inside the cart) into your house or bottom floor apartment.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My garage opens into my laundry room which opens into my living room, then a couple feet to my kitchen.

So still manageable to bring in things from the trunk without any help....yet. Although I do worry about my back when I bring in the 24 bottles of water but so far it's been ok.

And the water I only take as far as the laundry room...put it on my dryer and then get bottles as I need them.

14. Holly Saunders

Registered

yep I could do that Patsy I never thought of that, but then of course I'd have to find room for the empty trolley in the car and then load them all up back into the Trolley to wheel into the house...

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm standing in my living room to take this pic of my laundry room.

The door that's closed with the sensor on top is the door to my garage where my car is....it's a very short distance.

IMG_1984.JPG

You can only see part of my washer in this pic....my dryer is next to it and on that is where I put my waters.

Holly Saunders likes this.