Working From Home: Good And Bad

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Some information: My wife turned 74 this past January and is still working from home for an insurance company in another state. This job is thru an employment agency. She started the job in January 2020 and it was originally only suppose to be for three month/90-days. Since the 90-day period ended, she has been getting extended on it. She is currently on a month-to-month basis. Here salary is excellent, but she has no benefits. She has holidays off, but not paid. Any day/days she is sick, not paid. Any vacation time, not paid. She does have her own health insurance (Medicare, etc.). Our dining room table is set up in our spare bedroom, where she has to rather large computer screens, laptop and docking station.

Now, the good and bad:
    Good: Don't have to go out in Colorado winter snow/ice to go to work and come home. A year ago this month, we had a 30" blizzard and we were both very, very glad that she works from home. She doesn't have to get all dressed up. She gets paid weekly.
    Bad: All of the noise, when there is some, that goes along with living in an apartment. For years, she worked in a nice/quiet office atmosphere, generally in Finance or Accounting. A person could pretty much hear a ballpoint pen drop on the floor. At home, people talking outside, heard thru the patio glass door, young folks starting up their loud engines and dogs barking. Nothing that would be heard in an office building environment.

The young guy, that lives above us, just got a small puppy. His bedroom is right above our spare bedroom, my wife's job area. His roommates have a dog as well, but we very seldom hear it bark. We could hear the puppy whining/small barking this morning. To a point, very annoying, and, no other place for her to work at in our apartment.

We were so, so glad when our next-door neighbor moved, because their dog barked pretty much constantly when they were gone at work. Our new next-door neighbor has a pit bull, but hardly ever hear it bark. That's very nice.

So, there it is, the "good" and "bad" about working from home. What do you think? Management won't do a thing about the pup. Pretty sure of that.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I know, I know, we are complaining "again" about where we live. Then again, wonder if anyone here has worked from home with annoying noises inside and outside the home? Try trying to concentrate on something (work) with dogs barking and other noises going on. Not easy and my wife is finding that out.

I guess, if a person is going to "work from home", they should be living on several acres somewhere, where the only sounds would be birds tweeting.

Problem is, when applying for an apartment, many times a person doesn't know how much noise they are getting into. IOW, and we have found this out very fast..........many apartment residents don't give a hoot about others that live next to them or below them. A certain amount of noise is going to happen, but many people who live in apartments act like they are living back in a house.