Woodstock

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Thomas Stearn, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

I like him, too. Joe Cocker looked gorgeous at Woodstock.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I was so sad when Joe died. I read that he lived his final years in rural Colorado at his "Mad Dog Ranch", and all his neighbors knew him to be so kind and unassuming.

Just a little cottage... :D

[​IMG]

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Many of them were raised on not only classical music but jazz as well.
    For instance, Arlo Guthrie’s mother was a classical musician and the family often had some of the old jazz musicians visit their home and jam.

Some of the musicians that came through the door that Woodstock opened up had / have some major degrees in music.
    Although I’m not sure of Jimmy Hendrix’s background, but because of him a brand new style and breed of guitarists were born which brought forth major players like Stanley Jordan and some of the lead guitarists from Chicago and Deep Purple and other well established almost orchestra like bands.
    Hal might wish to pick up a copy of “Deep Purple at the London Philharmonic” just to be slightly more informed.

4. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

:D For sure.

Thanks for all the pics. As a Teen I had been listening to his music for years without having had a clue what he (and many other musicians) looked like. Pics were hard to get at that time. Hadn't seen a pic showing him performing at Woodstock.
    Some years ago I happened to pass by a Joe Cocker coverband performing open air. I stopped and stayed until the end of the show.

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I watched the whole documentary on his life and death...

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Joe could be quite weird when performing. When I first saw him, I actually thought he was spastic or something because of his jerky movements on stage. I remember American comedian John Belushi doing a fantastic impression of JC on Saturday Night Live during the late 70's.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The episode where Joe Cocker comes on stage while Belushi is doing the impression was great, both dressed alike. If we go any further with this though, we'll have to spinoff a Joe Cocker thread, but that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Joe Cocker, huh?

I never indulged myself in the kind of noises those types made.

Give me the Lighthouse All Stars who played great Modern Jazz, West Coast style.
    Shelly Manne, Shorty Rogers, Stan Getz, Charlie Mariano, LeRoy Vinnegar, J. J. Johnson, all real instrumentalists who played real instruments!

Harry

9. Holly Saunders

Registered

Who?...who?...and who? o_O

10. Hal Pollner

Registered

What does Woodstock mean to me? An event in our Country which I'm not proud of!

The police should have stopped before it got started.

Half a million unwashed, long-haired, half naked, pot smoking, worthless trash, listening to over-amplified non-melodic noise, some of whom became Doctors, Lawyers, and Successful Businessmen, but not when they were at Woodstock!

I've often wondered how it would turn out if all the Males from that crowd (and I won't call them Men), were stacked up against an equal number of male Chinese youth in battle.

I think the Chinese would grind them all into the ground!

I was 33 at the time, and had already served my Country in the US Army, and this is why I feel the way I do about Woodstock.

Hal

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  11. Hal Pollner

Registered

These were Jazz Greats, Holly, which adults enjoyed while teeny-boppers liked the Childrens' Music that was being shoved down their throats at Woodstock, and applauding it without ever knowing why.

Hal

Holly Saunders likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Jazz musicians were viewed by my grandparents much as rock musicians were viewed by my parents.

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

15. Holly Saunders

Registered

You say that.. but I remember an ex of mine telling me, that when he played the ''Beatles '' his father would come into the room, and turn it off, saying.. ''call that music?..that's not music''.. but then his father told him tat when he was growing up.. his own father ( my ex's grandfather) would do exactly the same ( except they were old 78's at the time in the 40's)...and demand that my f-i-l shut off that rubbish because it was not recognisable as music in any way shape or form..

What was me ex f-i-l playing when his father demanded that his son turn off that rubbish?...

BING CROSBY!!!! :eek::D