Will You Ever Go To A Chinese Restaurant Again

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Ed Wilson, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

...once the pandemic is over?

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Of course ! We would go right now, if the ones near us were open. I think most of them are still doing take-out; but both Bobby and I prefer to dine in the restaurant.
    I can’t see what eating at a local restaurant has to do with a cold virus ?

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I only eat Chinese food a few times a year but yes, I wouldn't stop that.

Frank Sanoica and Micki Pembroke like this.
  4. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Chinese restaurant owners are mostly proud American, Canadian, Australian or European citizens or permanent residents. Communist China is as far removed from many of them as is the Moon. So I am not boycotting my local Chinese restaurant. The food is great and the people running them are friendly and generous.. with regular freebies because we are such good customers.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Von Jones likes this.
  5. Emily Brown

Emily Brown Veteran Member
    Registered

What's wrong with the word "Chinese"? Even if the restaurant owned by a Chinese, what's wrong then? Are you going to label people every now and then?

Take care all!

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Some concern is reasonable but very little, and not because they are Chinese. We have one Chinese restaurant in Millinocket and the owners close at least once a year to visit China, but there would be no reason for more concern than one might have for anyone who has recently visited China, whatever their heritage. It's not like they are carriers because they are Chinese. Nevertheless, I don't know if the Millinocket restaurant closed before they were forced to or not but I hadn't seen a car at the Chinese restaurant since the virus hit the news. I quit going there long before because they quit their Sunday buffet, which was the main reason I went.

Micki Pembroke and Emily Brown like this.
  7. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I like Chinese food but where I live, to go out and eat it is a 2 hour drive which is ridiculous...

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  8. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

No, because I've never been to such a restaurant and never eaten Chinese food.

Micki Pembroke and Lois Winters like this.
  9. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I have Chinese friends, American born, whose family emigrated from Shanghai during WWII and they run a very upscale restaurant called Shanghai Jazz. They do not serve the usual chop suey or chow mein sort of food one generally applies to Chinese cuisine. It is all very Oriental, but very upper class. They feature also upscale entertainment and have a great bar. Expensive, yes, but so worth it. I would not touch any other kind of Chinese fare.

Craig Wilson and Micki Pembroke like this.
  10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

No I wouldn't stop either.

11. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't go out to eat Chinese anymore but if I could I would. I've always enjoyed a good Chinese meal.
    Now I eat what Chinese I can find in the feozen food section of my local grocery, which I admit isn't much.

12. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

You dont know what you are missing @Thomas Stearn. Westerized Chinese cuisine is very tasty. I find Chinese traditional fare is too spicey ..always swimming in ginger and garlic which does not agree with my stomach.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Thomas Stearn likes this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Will You Ever Go To A Chinese Restaurant Again ?

Of course. My favorite dish is Mandarin Beef.

14. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

The reason I asked was because the coronas virus originated in China, and I thought that would influence some people's attitude in all things Chinese, but apparently not here although somewhere it might. I was reminded of the extreme reaction to Japanese-Americans during WW 2 and internment camps.

15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I called the Chinese restaurant in my town yesterday to see if they were open. Nobody answered so I guess they weren't. The one here is owned by an Oriental family but I think they are Vietnamese. They are not part of a chain. They are truly a Mom and Pop business. It's run by a husband and wife. They have been here for quite a while. I use to go in and see the children sitting at a table doing their homework. Now the chidden are helping with the business. They serve some food that is nothing like Chinese cooking. One is the honey chicken. It's like chicken nuggets with a sweet sauce poured over it. But they also serve healthy Chinese style food. My favorite is a stir-fried chicken or beef with vegetable plate. It's really good and it is reasonably priced.

Yvonne Smith likes this.