Why Do You Use Forums, What Do You Like/dislike?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by May Benot, Feb 4, 2018.

1. May Benot

May Benot Veteran Member
    Registered

I use forums mainly to pass the time, particularly o'seas as I'm often awake at ridiculous hours in the morning and the time difference is convenient
    It's entertaining .sometimes educational when reading of others life experiences and the games help keep the old brain cells ticking over.
    Knowing next to nothing of O'seas politics, I leave well alone, but happy to talk about things which affect our daily lives in general. ...
    Dislike? not much ... I don't take things personally on forums but pettiness for the sake of it annoys me and I'll always defend my position if I feel that criticism is unfair or unwarranted ... we all make mistakes at times and I'm the first to say sorry if it's my error ( even when it's not, lol)
    Anyway, this seems a good place and I hope I'll always be welcome

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@May Benot this is my first forum I have been on. Not a big fan of FB...and Trump twitters enough for us all.Lolol
    Come March have been on here a year.
    I find these people fun, interesting,and forgiving. Plus I like having different topics to discuss. Just have always felt right at home here- and hope you do to.:)

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep I use forums for the same reasons as you May... and tend always to leave the politics alone , I've seen too much virtual blood spilled over it...

I've been using forums for 20 years now and I think I've seen just about every type of personality come and go... some very bad and some very nice...and I've been lucky to make some very good friends along the way and met many at forum meets too..here in the UK

I always try to stay polite, but there's always someone who equates kindness with weakness and then that's when the angry side of me appears...fortunately that doesn't happen too often because the vast majority of people on the forums I spend time on are decent folks... but there's always a few rotten apples scraping the bottom of the barrel everywhere you go...but we try not to let them ruin the whole barrel..

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

This forum in particular is kinda like family...Ive known many of the regulars for a few years now. Had ups and downs but I'm happy and comfortable here.

Sometimes I can't help myself and will say something I shouldn't but doesn't mean I don't like the person.

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Registered

excuse me...I don't know you from Adam...where have you come from at this time of night...?...lol

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Registered

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that she sometimes watches television in the evenings. I know she said she was not interested in the football game; but probably something else is on that she likes. Or she might have gotten up really early, and has just gone to bed.
    Hopefully, she is not sick or something.

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  8. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I'm on here as a pastime and also as a very comfortable forum where there isn't any pressure or arguments..
    Also there isn't any religious discrimination.. We all have our opinion on that and respect each others views..
    Now, we are not all perfect but the fact we make misteaks is an acceptable thing for most people.. if some can't accept that, well it is too bad..
    personally, I have been on several forums and I have never seen one as mellow as this one..
    Great members that make it feel like a family from all over the world..

Some are on here several hours a day, however I am only on here in the late evenings before bedtime..

9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm here to pass the time. On this forum It's like being part of the family, we get to know each other as we speak our minds and read what others have to say.

10. Holly Saunders

Registered

oh actually I remember her saying she'd got up extra early...

11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm here, I'm always off the iPad by 5:00 pm. I did watch half the game also yesterday @Holly Saunders

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In regard to this forum, it's somewhat of an intermission and a resource by which I can interact with other humans without having actual physical contact.
    By intermission, I mean that there are times when I need something to focus on rather than on life's continual puzzles that sometimes bog down my brain. I love research and I love to study but there are times when I have to force my brain to take a break.

By resource, I am an introvert and with only a few exceptions, I really do not like physical contact with other people. And, because I love to write, a discussion group such as this one allows me to socialize without the humbug that goes with one on one coffee and donut conversation.
    The fact that the SeniorsOnly Club is based on age and age related experiences and thoughts makes it a premiere spot for socialization for those over 50. Although there are other seniors based formats out there, this one tends to be more peaceful and much more productive and to be quite honest, especially with a couple of other forums, I really do not like to be taking a peaceful break by writing and then walk away wanting to punch someone.

As far as other types of forums, I have belonged to faith based organizations which become redundant at best in that they tend to ask and answer the same things over and over. They also attract the type of trolling that all like minded forums draw and it becomes argumentative rather than that of debate and takes away from any gracious thought process and brings about a huge amount of animosity.
    I am, however, a great fan of those forums which are science and IQ based. One particular forum I was rather fond of because for the most part, the members were involved in some sort of research and my own was included in a think tank form. Sadly, a Ddos flare up benched the forum and I haven't seen it come back to life since then.

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm been on two wonderful Forums in my life...the first one I met my husband on although I really wasn't looking for a husband. :) The second one is this one.

I have a very large family so I have plenty of people to socialize with when I'm in the mood. Being an introvert I don't find the need to spend a lot of time socializing but I do like to express my thoughts and opinions...and Forums fill that need for me.

I do not like drama and fighting on forums though and I have found that on way to many in the past.

Ken's Forum is as close to perfection as I have found in a forum and over all the warmth and respect we all try to give to each other here has made me feel like we are family here. This forum has become like a second home to me and I hope it will be here for a long time.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I use forums because I enjoy the exchange of ideas on a variety of topics, and I like this forum in particular because I, like everyone else here (for the most part) have come to regard the people here as kind of an extended “family”.
    Even though we have differing ideas on some topics, we are able to express those ideas without being offensive to anyone else reading our post, or at least we all do our best to be that way.
    I enjoy intelligent discussion about interesting topics, but I really hate arguments, where it is mostly just throwing garbage back and forth and not really adding to the discussion.
    I belong to several different forums, some are age-specific, and some are topic-specific, and I enjoy reading and posting on all of them; but this forum is my home forum, and I come here to socialize with my friends.

PS
    Mister Bobby (@Bobby Cole ), you have really pulled the cat’s tail on this one !
    To quote, you said “ a discussion group such as this one allows me to socialize without all of the humbug that goes with one on one coffee and donut conversations”.
    Since I am the one with whom you have the coffee-and-donut conversations, that does not make me happy to have you say that our conversations are “humbug”.
    And if per chance, you are having those coffee and donut conversations with someone ELSE, you are still in hot water......

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Humbug!
    When we converse, I do not have to get dressed, brush my hair and prepare myself for useless conversation that generally goes no where but is instead intended to waste time and burn brain cells.
    There are those times when we may go out and eat whilst conversing, but there is a basis on which we can converse on the same level and has equal meaning to both of us. No façade, no rhetoric and no platitudes.............just good conversation with someone I trust.