Whole Milk Or Skim?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes I always used whole milk labelled as 4% here in the UK, I avoid any low fat, fat reduced products as they are processed and unbalanced as a food, plus in the case of cheese usually taste awful. I haven't drank actual milk for decades, but recently started using it for making Kefir, which is a whole different product than the milk that created it.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Cheryl Torrie

Cheryl Torrie Member
    Registered

I don't drink milk, just use it in cooking and baking or on the rare occasion that I get a craving for cereal, so I always buy whole milk. I've never understood the reduction of fat content process. How could saving 1% fat content make any difference in your diet? I guess you would have to be drinking a lot of milk to notice the increase in calories. I have never drank goat milk or fresh from the cow milk. Mostly because I was raised in a suburb, not the country. I guess it all comes down to what you know, what you experienced as a child and how much you are willing to buy into. I really don't think I could drink almond milk. I'd rather take a multi vitamin and use real milk and milk products. :)

Terry Page and Joe Riley like this.
  3. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

One serving of whole milk is equal to 1 cup and contains 146 calories with 71 calories from fat. A 1 cup serving of 2 percent milk contains 122 calories with 43 calories from fat. The same serving of 1 percent milk contains 102 calories with 21 calories from fat. Each serving of skim milk contains 86 calories with 4 of those calories from fat.

Minerals
    Based on a 2,000-calorie-per-day diet, each serving of whole milk and 2 percent milk contains 28 percent daily value of calcium. Each serving of 1 percent milk contains 20 percent daily value of calcium. Skim milk contains 50 percent daily value of calcium. Whole milk contains 349 mg of potassium, while 2 percent and 1 percent milk contain 366 mg of potassium per serving. Skim milk has 410 mg of potassium.

Ruby Begonia and Joe Riley like this.