Who Is Your Favorite Philosopher?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Marie Mallery, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

After seeing what "charity" has done to this nation and the world for that matter, plus my own experiences over the years I don't think helping is always helpful.
    Although I have helped many people even when it took more than I could really afford. I've also been helped by a few people. Some, in hindsight I would not give to now.
    I am more on the Ayn Rand types than most modern-day preachers.

Others I like are Churchill and CS Lewis, although not sure they are what you'd call philosophers.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  2. Marie Mallery

Registered

3. Marie Mallery

Registered

Eisenhower was another I liked, although I misquoted the one who said his,

[​IMG]

4. Joan Kuper

Joan Kuper Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think we can learn from them all. Lately, I have been looking at Socrates..Know thyself, The unexamined life is not worth living,

John Brunner and Johnny Forster like this.
  5. Johnny Forster

Registered

As a young man in my 20s I became fascinated by the New England Transcendentalist movement. I still admire that kind of thinking, the primacy of the individual, concept of personal responsibility, the importance and value of Nature, etc.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Johnny Forster I remember the Transcendental Meditation movement of the early 70s.

I've read the classical Greek philosophers. I took a couple of philosophy classes when I was in my early 40s, trying to finish up my degree. I've always found it to be concurrently comforting and concerning that the nature of Man changes very little.

I would say that Carl Jung is among my favorites, but that's probably because he is more contemporary that most others. PBS aired a mini-series on him in the late 80s: "The Wisdom of the Dream." I recall an analogy he made regarding grouping people that always stuck with me: "You can average the characteristics (size, shape, color, weight) of all the pebbles in a stream and not accurately describe a single one of them."

Johnny Forster likes this.
  7. Johnny Forster

Registered

Carl Jung is also one of my favorites. A giant of a mind. He will be remembered and studied for a very long time.

John Brunner likes this.