Who Are Your Favorite Western Actors?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Smith, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Julie Adams (Betty May Adams) October 17, 1926 – February 3, 2019 Just heard the sad news that Julie Adams has passed away at 92. One of my favorite actresses, she made some great Westerns.

[​IMG]

Glenn Ford, Julie Adams, Marc Cavell, Hugh O'Brian, and Chill Wills in "The Man from the Alamo" (1953).

[​IMG]

"Rio Bravo" (1959) Angie Dickenson and John Wayne.
    On the set.
    [​IMG]

Marie Mallery likes this.
  2. Jake Smith

Registered

Woody Strode.
    Seargent Rutledge was directed by John Ford with Woody Stroder (1960).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sydney Poitier ("Duel at Diablo").
    [​IMG]

Dual at Diablo (1966).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  3. Jake Smith

Registered

Kevin Costner.
    Dances with Wolves is a 1990 epic Western film.

[​IMG]

Dances with Wolves is a 1990 epic Western film directed by and starring Kevin Costner. It’s based on a 1988 book of the same name by Michael Blake. The film was a box office hit and was nominated for twelve Academy Awards, winning seven. See what makes Dances with Wolves such an iconic film and learn all the amazing behind-the-scenes facts you never knew Inspired after reading about the Plains Indians, screenwriter Michael Blake pitched Kevin Costner with the idea for Dances with Wolves. The two had met in an acting class, and Costner suggested that he turn the idea into a book first, rather than a screenplay, to hopefully garner more interest from the studios.

[​IMG]

Costner decided to direct the film himself.

Blake wrote the book over a series of months and submitted it to a series of publishers. Unfortunately, nobody was interested in it, and after more than 30 rejections it was picked up by the small publisher Fawcett.

4. Jake Smith

Registered

(1925 -1997)

Actress. Born Betty Jeanne Grayson in Little Rock, Arkansas, she studied drama and dance at the University of Texas. While there she met fellow student Bob Davis and they married. They divorced in 1952 after the birth of their daughter. She was discovered by Gene Autry who gave her the name Gail Davis. He featured her...

[​IMG]

The history of Range Rider television series.

[​IMG]

How many of you remember the beautiful, blond heroine of the Old West, Annie Oakley? She shot and rode her way across our television screens and became an instant hit with little girls all over America. She was one of the few female heroes. Called "Little Sure Shot".

[​IMG]

5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

6. Jake Smith

Registered

BARBARA STANWYICK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

As a kid I could not get enough of Fess Parker as Davy Crockett.

gettyimages-1137186400-612x612.jpg
    gettyimages-674973987-612x612.jpg

8. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Always enjoyed James Stewart in any role he played.

9. Jake Smith

Registered

Do you remember?

The history of the Buffalo Bill Jr. television series.

[​IMG]

Or, The Adventures of Jim Bowie tv series?

[​IMG]

Little Beaver/ Audie Murphy/ Grade C westerns All kinds of films played in our small neighborhood movie theatre. So, according to your taste, you went to see one kind or another.

[​IMG]

10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes I do remember them.
    If memory holds correct Buffalo Bill Jr did his own stunts and very acrobatic.

Marie Mallery and Jake Smith like this.
  11. Jake Smith

Registered

Like this guy?

Actor, Circus Performer. In his over a twenty-five-year career in Hollywood, he appeared in literally hundreds and hundreds of uncredited roles in movies during the heyday of westerns in both the silent and talkie era. He did trick riding stunts and doubled for many actors including his own brother Ken Maynard.

Kermit Maynard (1897-1971).
    [​IMG]

Tony Page likes this.
  12. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Disney had several made for TV movies in the mid 50s he stared in. There is no TV worth watching any longer honestly I don't how they make any money. I think one of those movies was The Night of the Grizzly but it was a long time ago so I could be wrong.

Tony Page and Jake Smith like this.
  13. Jake Smith

Registered

[​IMG]

November 10, 2017, Contrary to popular belief, when it comes to authenticity in Westerns, Hollywood gets it right more often than they get credit for. That is the premise of a big feature we are preparing for an upcoming issue of True West magazine. Here is a sneak peek at some of the contenders: Doc Holliday (Dennis Quaid) and Big Nose Kate (Isabella Rossellini ) in "Wyatt Earp" 1994 Quaid is fantastic as a lunger and although Val Kilmer gets all the raves for his work in "Tombstone," Quaid captured the look of the emaciated Doc perfectly. Here's another photo from the set of "Wyatt Earp." Dennis Quaid as "The Man In Gray" A few Westerns we are celebrating were small at the box office but played really big, at least to those of us who like and appreciate the authentic, nitty gritty Old West Culpepper Cattle Co. 1971 There are sleepers in our coverage, films that were so authentic looking, stills from the movie often end up in history books. "The Covered Wagon" 1923 One of the advantages to the older films, like "The Covered Wagon," above, is that the clothing, props and wagons were still around mere decades after the passing of the Old West and in many cases, still being used! I have seen the above photo and this next one, below, being passed off as historic photos, that's how good the authenticity is in these scenes. "Brigham Young" 1940 "It doesn't matter how accurate a story is if you can't keep awake through it." —Henry Parke Another early film pulled out all the stops to create a sprawling Old West town in what turned out to be the largest Western town set in American film history. "Cimarron" 1931 Of course, the Western that I absolutely love on many levels is, in many ways, considered to be an odd one. "McCabe & Mrs. Miller" 1971 The authenticity of the town being built as the movie opens and progresses is quite authentic, with walls and roofs unfinished, and boards hanging out. I love it we see McCabe (Warren Beatty) sewing his shirt. Sewing! When is the last time you saw Gene, or Hoppy, or the Duke for that matter, sewing?!
    Then, in the main saloon people are talking over each other and you can see their breath! It's that cold. In fact, what I really love about "McCabe" is the weather, the snow, the freezing conditions, and the heavy overcoats. I think, for my money, it's the most authentic weather in a Western, ever! Some Westerners get dinged for having bad hats and incorrect weapons for the times they are portraying, but then the geography is dead on. "Shane" 1951 Some of the early Westerns don't get credit for trying to be authentic, but here is another film that tried to get it right. Great look, at least in this still photo: "The Gunfighter" Gregory Peck And then there are Westerns that failed on so many levels but the look of one of the main actors is just about perfect: "Wild Bill" Jeff Bridges, Of course, we haven't even mentioned the film that our readers considered the most authentic of all, and, well, it's not a secret, but I think you know which one that is going to be. Here's a hint: "Heroes are not giant statues framed against a red sky. They are people who say 'This is my community, and it is my responsibility to make it better.'" —Studs Terkel

14. Jake Smith

Registered

Hopalong Cassidy.

One of the most popular collections at the American Heritage Center is the papers of William Boyd, who played cowboy Hopalong Cassidy for many years on radio, television, and film.

[​IMG]

15. Jake Smith

Registered

Randolf Scott.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Movie poster Carson City Nevada Express.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]