Who Are You... Really?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Bobby Cole, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ritalin eventually took care of the assertive kids And the window watchers…..

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Now I'm enraged again...

3. Kimba Sue

Kimba Sue Member
    Registered

Looks like you are, at heart, a very simple man who is independent and capable enough to survive on his own and might just enjoy a Walden Pond experience. Maybe you know that life is gritty.....but can also be great if you can enjoy the simple things.

4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

That pretty much merits a Yup !

By the bye….welcome to SoC @Kimba Sue!!

Mary Stetler and Von Jones like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I have often wondered what the window watchers would have been if the prescribed alterations hadn’t taken place and their imaginations limited.

Marie Mallery and Mary Stetler like this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

you are an Observer, trust me I know;)

Von Jones and Nancy Hart like this.
  7. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thank you for your Service,as the Daughter of a Veteran I needed to say that.
    As for who I am,I have no good answer for that.I navigate the best I can in this world.
    You look happy there,that is all that's important.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Curious. And self-reliant.

upload_2024-2-1_23-2-16.png

9. Celia Jenkins

Celia Jenkins Well-Known Member
    Registered

We live in communities and are expected to conform to a certain role. This is why it's necessary to have rules so that we can live together in relative harmony. Those who break the rules spoil that harmony and are regarded as criminals.
    Many of the people who become monks and nuns do so, not for religious reasons but because they don't really 'fit' into modern society.
    Human beings are generally social creatures, who enjoy the company of others. Anyone who does not conform to this 'norm' is regarded as strange. This makes many of us put on an act so that we will be accepted by the rest of the 'tribe'.

10. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

This was a good read for me celia. I spent my whole life trying my best to be like others in the "tribe" and I never fit into any one "mold". I wanted so bad to be normal, instead of feeling like abbynormal (used that username many times over the years). I believe being what you want to be, as long as you don't want to teach or force others to be like you, and you are not bringing harm to young children, or anyone else, by teaching them "lies", is a human, God given right. Notice I say human, not inhuman acts.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

WOW, I missed replying to this thread???

So, "Who am I?"
    Well, I have no problem saying "I'm sorry", however, I did see a Psychologist back in the mid 80's, for saying it too much. I can get really "teary-eyed" watching some movies, like ET (end) and Parent Trap (end). I can have a very, sometimes overly, sensitive side, but my wife loves it. I've never been the muscular/tough type, so jobs like installing Dry Wall and Fence Building didn't make it for me. However, working in an electronics stockroom, some shipping/receiving and most definitely purchasing and inventory management did. Raising Duroc hogs, during high school years, in northeastern Indiana was ok, but taking care of those hogs in fairly harsh Indiana winters definitely wasn't. Joining the Navy was "ok" also and going to countries I'd never heard of or seen was definitely a plus. Thank God that North Vietnam didn't start shooting at Navy ships until I got out.

Went to a Jr. College, from my GI Bill, but that didn't last long. Guess I just wasn't the "college" type.

Two highlights of my life: Meeting/marrying my wife and becoming a rodeo cowboy. Even though I wasn't the muscular/tough type, I definitely learned how to handle the horse I had. Excellent feed and loving care makes for an excellent rope horse!

I was a Christian before meeting my wife, but now she has made me even more of a Christian and I absolutely love it!

Love my music, as in Classic Rock, Disco, older, but not really that old, Country music and, without a doubt, Motown. Bad Company, Deep Purple, Van Halen (David Lee Roth era), Chicago, The Rascals, Association and others. Bee Gees, Taste of Honey and some others from the 70's. George Strait, Chris LeDoux, Garth Brooks, Martina McBride, Mary Chapin Carpenter and Brooks & Dunn just to name a few. Four Tops, Supremes, Temptations, Martha Reeves among others. My wife introduced me to Motown and now I love it.

So, that's "Who I am".

So, "bottom line" here is,

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Tried teach my wife to be "self-reliant", but it definitely didn't work. LOL

Marie Mallery and Denise Evans like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I am fairly self-reliant but not as much as when I was young, especially for things that require physical strength. I was not referring to myself in that post, but to @Von Jones , our resident DIYer. :D

14. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Who am I? No one could be completely objective so any answer would be perhaps only partially right if at all. I'm just me without labels in my mind. We change over time anyway.