When A Band Member Leaves Or Dies

Discussion in 'Music' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When Paul Revere, the man that put together Paul Revere and the Raiders band, left the band, the band just isn't the same anymore. It was his health that made him quit the band.

When rock group, Journey, lead singer, Steve Perry left the group, to me Journey was gone. The new lead singer just couldn't match Perry's voice.

When David Lee Roth left Van Halen and Sammy Hagar took over as lead singer, again, the band was gone for me. I was never a fan of Sammy Hagar.

Artists that start a solo career, lose my interest as well. Ann Wilson, Phil Collins are a couple. I love the bands, Heart and Genesis, with them in.

The girl that took Grace Slick's place in Jefferson Starship, just can't compare to Grace's voice.

Deep Purple is a great rock band, but when Ritchie Blackmore was with them as lead guitar player, the group was fantastic.

There are other rock band members that have either left their highly notable band or passed-away where the band no longer sounds the same.

Do you know any?

Honey Gee likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

We watched a BBC programme last night 'Rock Family Trees'
    It looks at the start of a rock band and the changes that occur later, with members leaving and why
    Then how they progress. Its a fab programme, the band in question ended up as ELO but even that great band
    didn't last, one member though, went on to be an outstanding producer, other members did not fair too well
    Also shocking were how badly they were ripped off financially by management

3. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Brian Johnson ACDC

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

That was Jeff Lynne.

Like CCR, when John Fogerty left and had to go to court to obtain the "rights" to CCR songs. CCR went down the drain, but John sure didn't.

Honey Gee likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

He left the band this year due to hearing problems. When he started having these problems, Axel Rose (Guns & Roses fame) took over.

Have some AC/DC music and play it loud when on our boat on the water. Also have a DVD concert of them.

Honey Gee likes this.
  6. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Seen them several times @Cody Fousnaugh including with the original singer Bon Scott. I suppose you have to give Axl Rose a chance :)

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Although Crosby, Stills & Nash were still very good, they were at their best with Neil Young.

Cody Fousnaugh and Honey Gee like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Almost every great lead singer has a great lead guitar player. When Freddy Mercury died, Queen was gone. Brian May was somewhat out of a job.
    Steven Tyler and Joe Perry are matched, like Roger Daltrey and Pete Townsend of the Who are.