What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

IMG_0071.JPG
    Baked Spaghetti Casserole and it just came out the oven a few minutes ago. :)

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

It's such a beautiful day with sunshine all around us and since we have had so much rain these past few weeks my Honey is going to do some grilling for us today.

I really never was one to like the dark meat on chicken but the first time my Honey grilled some marinated chicken legs and asked me to try them and I did....and ever since they have turned out to be one of my very favorite things that he grills and the only way I will eat the dark meat of chicken. He takes the skin off and then seasons them well with our cajun spice and then lets them soak in Lawry's Herb and Garlic marinade overnight. When he is finished grilling them they are so moist and flavorful it's hard for me not to "pig out" on them. My husband is a great griller and today besides the chicken legs he is doing two kinds of sausage and some bacon and cheddar burgers. I will makes sides of pasta salad with tomatoes, avocado, and black olives along with his favorite Bushes grilling beans. And for dessert fresh melon slices and strawberries. :)

Changed our menu a little and decided to do baby brussel sprouts and oven roasted potatoes with the Bushes beans. :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

Ive always preferred the dark meat, especially the thighs. Chicken and turkey. The breast is too dry in my opinion.

Always worked out well because my kids liked the breast and my husband liked everything so there was no waste on a whole chicken.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That was how I have always been as well; but lately I have learned that if the white meat is not cooked as long , it is still juicy and tender. When you cook a whole chicken, if you take it off the stove when the breast meat is cooked, then the thighs are still way too raw; and by the time the dark meat is cooked through, then the white meat is just too dry to taste good.
    What I do now is try and get the cartons that have all of one kind of meat in them, and then I can cook it properly for whatever time it needs.
    When I get the larger packages of white meat, then I divide them into serving size portions (2 for Bobby and one for me) and put them in freezer bags until we are ready to cook them. I do the same with the dark meat, so we can have whichever we want to have that meal.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yep, that's the problem always when cooking a whole Turkey or chicken.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I just buy the turkey breast when it goes on sale for us. If the kids want me to get a turkey for a holiday meal and cook it, then I will buy the whole thing. But I do not like the dark meat of turkey or chicken except when my Honey grills the legs in his special way for me. All other dark meat I let others have. :)

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

We would get along just fine!! :)

Babs Hunt likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

As long as we don't talk about religion! :p

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

We'd talk about our grandchildren while you ate the white meat and I ate the dark meat. :)

Babs Hunt likes this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

That I could definitely do...and show you pictures of mine while you show me pictures of yours. :)

11. Spencer Berrett

Registered

I will prepare some ham, some homemade augratin potatoes, some steamed broccoli, and for dessert: Strawberry Lemon Pie. I do most of the cooking.

12. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

I prefer the dark meat on a chicken...I too find that the breast meat is way too dry...but interesting to read how you do it with the mix @Yvonne Smith ..however I only ever buy chicken thighs..I never buy breast or for that matter a whole chicken because I'm the only one in this house who eats meat...

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My son does all the cooking, some men enjoy it. My husband didn't though.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Registered

My husband has never made a meal for me in 17 years... he simply wouldn't know where to start with cooking...and he's not interested in learning..

15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

The first time my Honey cooked inside for me....was the last time! He put dill weed in the green beans...yuck...you just can't do that to a cajun lady! :p But he can grill outside for me anytime he wants. ;)

16. Spencer Berrett

Registered

To be fair, my wife does assist me on some of the more labor intensive menu items. I plan the meal most of the time, but she will go get fast food in a heartbeat, usually wanting more. Sometimes, so do I. :cool:

17. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Strawberry lemon pie...that sounds yummy Spencer. :)

Spencer Berrett likes this.
  18. Spencer Berrett

Registered

Your spaghetti casserole looks good too!

Babs Hunt likes this.
  19. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks...it really is good and is made without tomato sauce or paste (which I can't eat) but tastes just like a yummy spaghetti. :)

20. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My hubby use to cook all the time...on the grill...at our apt complex he was calked The Grill Master...but things and times have changed all that.
    So we eat whatever I prepare. Tonight some chicken , yellow squash and onions, potatoes. Doesn't even sound good to me.

21. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I do more of the cooking these days.

for supper we had hamburger steaks, zipper cream peas, fried okra and corn on the cob.

22. Spencer Berrett

Registered

Fried okra, eh? You must have a deep fryer. :) What oil do you use? I see you are in Arkansas, and I miss Houston. Country fried steak is wonderful down there! ;)

I took over the cooking about 15 years ago due to a change in circumstances, but I've cooked off and on since I was a teen. It helps to have some decent cooking devices and some cookware. I finally bought a swiss bread knife from Victorinox. :cool:

Bill Boggs and Sheldon Scott like this.
  23. Holly Saunders

Registered

Tonight my dinner was quick and simple...some fresh egg spaghetti to which I added just a tablespoon of passata sauce ( not much because I have a problem with anything tomato based ) so just enough to coat the spaghetti... and then added some chopped dry fried streaky bacon, and some grated medium cheddar.. . Dinner cooked and on the plate in less than 10 minutes

Sheldon Scott and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  24. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I got ambitious today :p, and started off by fixing a cherry and peach cobbler. Then I decided to make some fresh yeast rolls. By then I was on a roll, so I put on a pot of ham hocks and butter beans, seasoned with onion, celery, garlic, salt and fresh ground pepper.

I thought all was fine and dandy, until Bobert told me that he didn't like beans. :confused: So now I have to think of someone I can give them to. :(

25. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We do have a deep fryer which we use quite a bit but okra is fried in a skillet. Much different than the okra you find in restaurants. Usually use peanut oil in the deep fryer.

Speaking of cooking devices we've been using our Aroma electric pressure cooker for several years now. It's so easy to use.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.