What's Bugging You?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Corie Henson, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was discovered to have high blood pressure when I was in the mall with the children. It was a good thing that I noticed the unusual dizzy spell. When my blood pressure was taken, it was on the dangerous 190/100 level. The doctor declared that I should be taking maintenance medication otherwise a treacherous stroke might hit me without warning.

From then on, I was being bugged by this high blood. I have been advised from time to time that when my temper rises, it might be a side effect of high blood pressure. So in times like that, I should take a rest and to calm myself. But sometimes I am not aware especially when I am working on something important to me like bathing my dogs. I got so tired that I had that temper. It's a good thing that people in the house understands my condition.

2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting I have never heard of high blood pressure (hypertension) causing anger Corie, I have been taking a prescribed drug for hypertension for over 20 years, I occasionally get hypotension (low blood pressure) which causes me to feel dizzy, but never had symptoms of hypertension. Blood pressure changes from moment to moment so you need to have a series of checks to see what your normal level is.
    Mine can vary from 130/70 to 180/105 in the space of a few minutes, I bought my own blood monitor which gives me a warning if it stays high for too long, they are cheap to buy now so may be worth you getting one perhaps. Suppressed anger and stress can cause it to rise, as can the presence of a doctor, known as the white coat affect.

Corie Henson and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson, Do you mean your body's temperature or your temper, (level of anger),? I agree with @Terry Page, you can get small wrist blood pressure monitors for a very small amount of money these days. I've been using one for about five years, and they are pretty reliable. I started off taking my BP three times a day for the first year, so I could get a good idea of what was going on, and when it was apt to rise, or lower. Now I just take it in the morning, and unless something is bothering me, I've gotten to where I only have to take BP meds once or twice week.

Corie Henson likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Registered

Hello there, @Terry Page and @Ina I. Wonder, let me answer your question about anger in connection with high blood pressure. Over here, high blood connotes temper or anger. So when one is angry, it is said that he is "high blood" again, to mean his blood pressure is on the rise thus causing him to have a bad temper.

@Terry Page, it is still not good but having low blood pressure, I think, is better than having high blood pressure that can cause a stroke. @Ina I. Wonder, I am on maintenance medication so it is not a necessity for me to check my blood pressure regularly although they said it is ideal so I would know. One problem is when I forget to take the pill, I get lost in my temper sometimes. But thanks for the suggestion, I probably need to buy a digital spygmomanometer since it is simple to use and anyone can take my blood pressure reading.

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson, I too was on daily meds for over 15 years, but I got tired of nothing working for me. My BP stay around 190/100. That was when I started to take my own BP. The doctors finally were able to tell me part of the trouble was the level of pain I was continually in, and my level of anxiety stayed very high. After addressing these issues, I now rarely need BP meds, maybe once a week now.

Corie Henson likes this.
  6. Corie Henson

Registered

Gee, that was my BP's reading when I was discovered to have high blood pressure - 190/100 can be fatal. And yes, when you are in pain, the tendency of your body is to increase the blood pressure. That's why in accidents, some of the survivors who suffered trauma would go into coma for severe high blood pressure. The kidney stone is also a suspect because it continually brings pain to my lower back. However, the urologist ruled it out and said that there are people who are prone to high blood pressure due to genetics.

I am being extra careful with my blood pressure because my mother had a stroke in 2011 and it can also happen to me.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A few months ago, my doctor was haranguing me about taking medication to control hypertension. I didn't do it because I was a paramedic for more than twenty years, I monitor my own blood pressure at home, and knew that the readings I was getting were much lower than what they were getting at the doctor's office. Then one day, a few weeks ago, I asked the nurse to take my blood pressure a second time, a few minutes after the first, and the reading was way lower than the first, and 124/72 is not a hypertensive reading. Since then, I have had them take a second reading and, with their monitoring equipment, the second reading is always within normal ranges, while the first is nearly always high. It makes me wonder how many people are unnecessarily taking medications to monitor hypertension that they don't have.

Yes, that is not a blood pressure to ignore. Both the systolic and the diastolic are very high.

Ike Willis likes this.
  8. Corie Henson

Registered

It's good that I have seen this thread again. I was meaning to buy a digital spygmomanometer so I can monitor my blood pressure and also of my husband's (although his blood pressure is stable at 130/80). When we were in the beach resort last Wednesday, my sister had noticed that my face was red. Not from the sun since we just arrived in the swimming pool. She suspects that high blood is bothering me. I just forgot to ask her to buy a monitoring device for me. She said that it is always a good measure to know your health condition particularly the blood pressure since we are susceptible to strokes because my mother was hit by one.

Ike Willis likes this.