What You Need To Know About Melatonin

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Joy Martin, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I do fine taking 1/2 mg nightly with my other sleep stuff. and here is what
    Dr. Mercola has to say about Melatonin. I've been following his work and advice
    for many years....he is NOT MainStreamMD.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/...cid=20220814_HL2&mid=DM1237746&rid=1576061759

STORY AT-A-GLANCE
    • Melatonin is one of the most important antioxidant molecules and certainly the most ancient, as it has been part of biological life for over 3 billion years. It's present in prokaryotes, which are bacteria, and even in plants

• In the human body melatonin not only has independent direct antioxidant effects on its own, but it also stimulates the synthesis of glutathione and other important antioxidants like superoxide dismutase and catalase

• Mitochondrial melatonin production is one of the reasons why regular sun exposure is so crucial. The near-infrared spectrum, when hitting the skin, trigger the generation of melatonin in your mitochondria
    • Considering melatonin’s function within the mitochondria, and the fact that mitochondrial dysfunction is a hallmark of most chronic disease, it makes sense that melatonin would be helpful against a number of different diseases, including the two most common — heart disease and cancer
    • Melatonin and methylene blue belong in every emergency medical kit. In cases of an acute heart attack or stroke, melatonin can help limit the damage, while methylene blue augments cytochromes to allow the continued production of ATP even without the use of oxygen, which also helps minimize cell death and tissue damage
    In this interview, Russel Reiter, Ph.D. — a world-class expert on melatonin — discusses some of the biological activities and health benefits of this important molecule. With some 1,600 papers to his credit, as well as three honorary doctor of medicine1 degrees, he’s published more studies on melatonin than anyone else alive.

Melatonin 101
    Melatonin is one of the most important antioxidant molecules and certainly the most ancient, as it has been part of biological life for over 3 billion years. It's present in prokaryotes, which are bacteria, and even in plants. In the human body — aside from having direct antioxidant effects — it also stimulates the synthesis of glutathione and other important antioxidants like superoxide dismutase and catalase. Reiter continues:

“Melatonin has been here forever ... and its functions have evolved. It has learned to work successfully with other molecules during this three-billion-year evolution. One of the molecules with which it collaborates is glutathione ... But the antioxidant activity of melatonin is extremely diverse.

It in fact is a very good radical scavenger. There are other radical scavengers — vitamin C, vitamin E and so forth — but melatonin is superior to those. But beyond that, it stimulates antioxidative enzymes, especially in mitochondria. Mitochondria are small organelles in the cell that generate the bulk of the free radicals.

So, it's very important to have a good antioxidant at the level of the mitochondria and melatonin happens to be located and is, in fact, synthesized in the mitochondria. Melatonin scavenges radicals that are generated, but it also stimulates something called sirtuin-3, which activates or deacetylates super oxide dismutase (SOD), which is a very important antioxidative enzyme.

It also removes free radicals and prevents the degeneration of the mitochondria, and why this is so important is because mitochondria are really the center of the action within a cell. In other words, there's strong evidence that aging, frailty of aging, senescence of cells as we age, relate to molecular damage at the level of the mitochondria, and melatonin seems to be very efficient at protecting mitochondria from that damage.”

Melatonin increases glutathione through a genomic effect on the enzyme that regulates the synthesis of gamma glutamylcysteine synthase, the rate limiting enzyme in glutathione synthesis. Melatonin activates that enzyme.

Glutathione tends to be found in high concentrations in cells, although some is also found, to a lesser degree, in the extracellular space and the mitochondria. Meanwhile, 95% of the melatonin in your body is concentrated within the mitochondria inside the cells.

Its antioxidant effects are quite diverse, but include preventing free radical generation by enhancing the efficiency of the electron transport chain so fewer electrons leach onto oxygen molecules to generate super oxide antiradical.

2. Joy Martin

Registered

OMG, the 10mg Melatonin people!!!! You;ve got some constitution ---- the 2 members that said this have a similar personality too....so the body system!!!!!!!!!

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Beware the 10mg Melatonin People

[​IMG]

4. Joy Martin

Registered

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Body weight and metabolic rate have a LOT to do with how much or little melatonin one can take. It’s the same with a lot of supplements.
    It doesn’t all go directly to the brain but everywhere blood takes it and yes, across the blood brain barrier as it should.

Sadly, it has nothing to do with personality.

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Just add it to the list.

I’m a Caucasian male.
    un-woke
    I’m straight.
    I am a conservative deplorable.
    I am patriotic and love our nations banner and anthem.
    Pro 1st and 2nd amendment
    Christian

and now I’m a 10mg melatonin person.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  7. Joy Martin

Registered

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

There is a book that I have had for quite a while, called, The Melatonin Miracle, and it explains all of the other great benefits of taking melatonin. It has anti-aging benefits as well as other health benefits, and even if you take more than you need, you just feel droopy the next day; but it is never addictive and does not hurt you to take more than you need to go to sleep.
    Some people need a larger or smaller dose to do the same benefit for sleeping, and the amount necessary can change over time.
    When I first read about taking melatonin, I started out with 3 mg, and it was fine, and then gradually started taking a little bit more over the years. I also take 10 mg at night, and it works fine for me, but might be too much for someone else and too little for someone different. You just have to try it and see how much works right for you.

I just found another book about the health benefits of melatonin that was free on Kindle Unlimited, so I am going to read that one next. Here is information about the book that I have had for years, and it is a great book about melatonin.

IMG_6177.jpeg

9. Joy Martin

Registered

When I first started working with Melatonin and that was 1999 or so, I knew NOTHING about it..and bought a 3mg tab bottle and that 3mg did me in....tossed that bottle and went to work learning more and more about it. I guess back then I could have just "bit" off a piece of the 3mg tab and takenn that....I didn't know but now I do.... I took 1/4mg last night, I bit off a piece of a 1/2mg piece...

Jacob Petersheim likes this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I like the 10mg chewable because it tastes good and I don’t gain any weight from having a little sweet before bed.
    I tried the 3mg and the 5mg but they just don’t appease my appetite for sweets like the 10mg does.
    ……………………….

What the “Sleep Foundation” doesn’t say:
    The Chief time for L-arginine to be able to cross the blood brain barrier so it can activate the production of GH is during a Deep sleep.
    Napping won’t do it and neither does REM.
    I don’t want to merely happily dose off nor do I wish to dream a lot. I want to go right to the. crux of the matter and heal muscle fiber so I can beat myself up the next day.

And…..as a reference point: I believe the thread is about napping for which no one I have heard of yet takes melatonin to do.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Joy Martin

Registered

good grief, connecting melatonin and sweet things, I never heard this one...but of course can't one be away from sweet things at bedtime? sounds strange to me..

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Exactly. I take 10 mg with no issue and have never had a "groggy" feeling when I wake up.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Joy Martin

Registered

All I can say is that the Vast difference in dosing for each person's body is something NO ONE can explain, I'm thrilled that I don't take or want 10mg....

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Since melatonin has so many health benefits and no downsides to taking it, I have no clue why you are so happy to only take so little of it, @Joy Martin .

15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Seriously Joy, there’s got to be some supplement to help you improve that sense of humor.
    If I remember back in the day, pot did a lot for that plus made napping more enjoyable.

And, as far as sweet things at bedtime,
    I have taken my “sweet thang” to bed with me Every night for oh….20 or so years now and the doctor says I’m extremely healthy.

Don Alaska likes this.