What Other Languages Apart From English Do You Know?

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Helene Lawson, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Well-Known Member
    Registered

Bravo Yvonne! Right you are! We'll either all be speaking Spanish or Farsi if the powers that be have anything to do with it! :(
    I used to speak pretty decent Latin. It was the only language they offered in my high school that I could tolerate. I haven't kept up with it, but I kinda wish I had. It might come in handy since America seems to also be overrun with ancient Romans. ;)

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

English only for me.;)
    [​IMG]

Brittany Houser likes this.
  3. Angel J More

Angel J More New Member
    Registered

Being born in the Philippines,my native language is Filipino and we are called Filipino citizens--as simple as that.:) Tagalog is the dialect widely known in Filipino but since our country was an American colony in World War I era,we have been exposed to American influences,including language. Thus, among young people,there is now such a thing as "Taglish" , short term for Tagalog and English combined which is generally accepted in colloquial terms.However, in the formal education system, English is still being taught as the universal language with all its rules. This is why Filipinos easily get jobs in the global community.

4. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Active Member
    Registered

I've heard about how many islands are in the Philippines, and that there are so many dialects. Do they typically use one certain dialect for filipino movies? I've seen a couple, with subtitles. And I've noticed a lot of english scattered throughout. Is that common?

5. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was partly amused and partly astounded to read of the New Zealander who won the World Scrabble Championship. Nothing too surprising there, but this was the French version and the winner does not speak French. He managed to memorise the French dictionary in nine weeks and win the title. Quite an extraordinary feat and one that I, as a Scrabble aficionado, can only marvel at.

Harry Kemp likes this.
  6. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Active Member
    Registered

I love scrabble, but far from an aficionado. And thats just mind blowing. I've been trying to learn sign language for close to a year. I am going letter by letter in the dictionary and memorizing the common words. I haven't made it to "s" yet. Nine weeks after I started I was probably around "d". That effort alone should have its own prize.

7. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

One of the key things for a Scrabble player is knowing the two-letter words. I'd say it's essential. Another thing I did was learn those words with multiple vowels, like iota, akee, aioli, etc. because there are always times when you're overloaded with vowels.

My favourite, though, is zoaeae (the free-swimming larvae of crustaceans, in case anyone is wondering).

8. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Active Member
    Registered

Good for Filipinos, I guess, but every person who has bigger ambitions should learn English in my opinion.