What Movie Are You Watching Today?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 1, 2018.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't believe I've ever watched it.
    I may have seen East of Eden, but it would have been a very long time ago.

Interesting that Joni would have used it as an example of Boomers. The movie was about teenagers, made in 1955. Perhaps the curse started early...

Nancy Hart likes this.
  2. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I've seen it in the theater when it first came out, And numerous times on TV. I did enjoy it In the theaters, Later I think Nostalgia And memories we're part of the reason I enjoyed it. I think being born in brooklyn, I could relate to the gangs, Seems like I was always on somebody's "turf", aw The good old days.

Marie Mallery and Nancy Hart like this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes. Mitchell only mentioned the movie in a list of things that I think were describing the parents of the boomers. Many of them had the dreams of 2.4 children, house with a picket fence in the suburbs, 2 cars, etc. And their dreams trickled down to the kids (boomers), where it didn't fit with the times. It was interesting, but her thoughts rambled a lot.

It doesn't fit my parents because they grew up during the depression and ww2. I was the first crop of boomers. Maybe later ones.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

Interesting. I will agree with her that expectations can always be a killer...and they can prevent you from enjoying the "what is." Makes me glad I was born into circumstances where the luxury of Naval Gazing did not exist. Too much thought and too little action is never good...especially for teenagers.

And I can see why you would not enjoy the movie. All that anxiety is hardly what we watch movies for...even if it is "loosely based on someone's reality." And Natalie Wood was only 16 when she got that part! I shant mention how she purportedly got the part, but it involved a 44 year old director...no Lights! and no Camera! but apparently some Action!

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I feel like I was transported back to 1987 for a couple of hours. For some reason an old Lifetime Movie turned up in my youtube recommendations; it is called "Strange Voices" starring Kristi McNichol and Valerie Harper. I used to really love Valerie so I decided to watch the movie.

As I expected it was kind of cheesy but I LOVED that the upload included all the commercials exactly as broadcast. What a blast! I loved seeing all the 80's fashions, too. I still remember the oversized jackets and huge shoulder pads. :D:D

6. John Brunner

That's interesting. Kristi was on my radar screen yesterday. She was the answer on a game show, so I went and read about her. I never was much of a Valerie Harper fan.

7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Forever Young with Mel Gibson. I always loved this movie. It is on TUBI.

8. John Brunner

I haven't thought of that movie in a loooooooonnnnnnnng time.

Caitlin D Burnside likes this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Registered

It's funny. The airshow in the movie had a banner dated 1992. I have it in my library but it is much easier to pull it up on ROKU.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I recently watched a movie I DVR'd from TCM " The Girl from Jones Beach" (1949) starring Ronald Reagan, Virginia Mayo, Eddie Bracken.
    All I can say is the wife and I got through it, or should I say I got through it, it was a cutesy love story. I dvr'd it because Jones Beach is about 5 or 6 miles from us, I was curious to see what it looked like back then. I came to the conclusion a Sandy Beach back then, it's the same as today.

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Registered

Jones beach was a hostile environment in my youth. Blistering hot sands that you ran to the water to escape. But the water was so cold it froze one's ankles to the point of pain. Fortunately on the way back to your blanket or whatever it was not painful because it took time for your feet and ankles to thaw.
    I laugh when I think about the movie Jaws where people supposedly flocked into the water en masse. But Glouchester was kinder, not so open to the ocean?

Caitlin D Burnside and Tony Page like this.
  12. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I am not a beach person. I live on Long Island now over 60 years I have been to Jones beach once. I don't swim.
    And sleeping on a Blanket on the sand in the sun, Doesn't seem like fun to me. If I was going there to the fish, that's another thing, however I fish a lot closer to the home, In the local marinas.

13. Caitlin D Burnside

Caitlin D Burnside Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well... Daughter told me of an upcoming unexpected film... Ghostbusters Frozen Empire.

While she's playing her favourite game on the Xbox, I decided to pop onto YouTube and find trailers for that latest Ghostbusting adventure...

Wow, it's an eye opener. Upcoming besides the aforementioned on 22 March 2024, here's the previews I saw...

Back To The Future Part IV (Michael J Fox returns)
    Twister 2 (Helen Hunt)
    Harry Potter and The Cursed Child
    Constantine 2 (Keanu Reeves)
    Willy Wonka (2025)
    Jaws...The Deep (Richard Dreyfuss)
    Beetlejuice 2 (Michael Keaton)
    Popeye The Sailor Man, Live Action

All I did was enter on the YouTube search bar: Ghostbusters Frozen Empire Trailer. Then all these upcoming new film trailers popped up. It'll be nice if they're coming soon indeed!

Sorry, if this isn't a good place to say this but I thought, we'll be watching loads of feel good films throughout this year and the next...

Throw the popcorn bag in the microwave, let the fun begin

14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Seems Natalie was famous by then, she was also a child star. Of course, they did have slow periods, I guess.

Tony Page likes this.
  15. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Remember Miracle on 34th Street. One of my all time christmas favorites.

Marie Mallery likes this.