What Is Your Favorite Brand/Type Of Coffee?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Susan Long, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Pretty much every part of the dandelion can be used, the only danger being that, if you are using dandelions from your yard, you need to pay attention to the types of fertilizers and insect killing chemicals you may have used on your yard. My mom used to use the leaves for tea, and to mix them in with salads sometimes. I have heard of using the roots for coffee, but haven't tried it. My wife brought it up just the other day, so she came across it somewhere too. Interesting, when I was looking through the plant catalog, I found that you can buy dandelion seeds, and after all these years of thinking of it as a weed. Another quite edible plant that often grows as a weed in the lawn is plantain; its broad-based leaves can be used in salads or soups.

[​IMG]

In an attempt to bring this thread back on-topic, it might be interesting to try some mixtures of coffee with dandelion roots. During times of shortages, I know that chicory was used as a coffee substitute and I used to be able to find Louisiana coffee that include chicory, and I thought that was good.

2. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Well-Known Member
    Registered

My friend, Yvonne Smith, buys Coffee Fool brand on Amazon when it is on clearance. She is a sweetheart and shares her finds with me. She recently gave me some Blueberry Cinnamon and some Chocolate Pumpkin that I really enjoyed a lot. The Blueberry one is finished up and I have one pot of the Choclolate Pumkin left. So I am back to my regular unflavored coffee. :( I do enjoy my coffee every morning. And like some of you, I do not care for Starbucks coffee in the shops, but I did get some on clearance at Kroger a few months ago,,, and I just brewed it weaker than they do and it was okay.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have eaten some dandelion greens and also some plantain leaves. I don't put any kind of chemicals on the lawn; and I try to only pick them after a rain when they are fresher tasting.
    I have found that i prefer them lightly cooked rather than raw in a salad, however, because dandelions are bitter.
    As far as mixing the roasted roots in with your coffee; that is what i did and it came out okay; but I killed a lot of dandelions when I was digging them out. Now that I want to use the leaves as a green, I don't want to dig up the dandelion.
    I am kind of liking the idea of roasting grits and making coffee with that; they might give coffee an interesting flavor, and would not have caffeine (or at least not as much when mixed with regular coffee) like just having a regular cup of coffee does.
    I have had Postum and Pero before, and it is made from roasted grains. While it does not taste exactly like coffee, it is a good substitute when you want something hot to drink at night and don't want to have coffee.
    So if you hear Bobby Cole grumbling on here that his morning grits are disappearing, then you will all know that I am probably experimenting....

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Registered

They're not so bad if you pick them in the early spring, before they flower.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have wonderful memories of shopping at the A&P with my Mom when I was little, and inhaling the amazing aroma of the freshly ground coffee. My ultimate favorite is Dunkin' Donuts, but I don't often have it, so at home, I usually make Eight O'Clock or Folgers. I can't handle the rough brands like Starbucks, because they tear up my stomach. I add a lot of half n half and sugar, because that's how I grew up drinking it, and it's still how I think it tastes best.

6. Lydia Williams

Registered

I'm not really one for fancy coffees, it just doesn't seem worth the price for me. I just buy the cheap own-brand instant coffee from the supermarket and it tastes just fine to me. I usually have it with milk but no sugar.

Terry Page likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Registered

Most of my life, I drank regular Folgers coffee or other brands that came in a can in the supermarket. Now, I'm not sure why I bothered drinking it, since I have become a bit of a coffee snob. Not only do I enjoy premium coffees, but I like trying new ones out. Right now, we're getting the ones that I've already mentioned on subscription from Amazon.com but we've just signed up with another coffee subscription from Hello Fresh that sends us enough freshly roasted coffees in packets just large enough for one pot, four packets at a time, once a month. We've just tried their sample four-packet box and loved all four of them. Rarely do I find coffee in a restaurant anymore that I like. Starbucks is awful, but then I don't much like the stronger coffees, which are usually the dark roast or French roast coffees.

8. Ken Anderson

Registered

I hadn't used chicory in quite a while, although I had always liked it, but I just bought a packet of chicory root granules from Amazon.com, and I like the way that it takes the edge off of a pot of coffee, making it smoother. All that it takes is a half a teaspoon in a pot of coffee for a noticeable difference. I used to buy Luzianne coffee with chicory, but this is the first time I've tried adding it to the coffee myself.

chicory.jpg

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I tried that many years ago. Chicory was used to stretch coffee. I thought it was very bitter.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Registered

Used in that way, or in large amounts, it might be. A half a teaspoon mixed with the grounds for a pot of coffee has the opposite effect. I don't know if I'd use it in every pot of coffee but it is a good taste and, since I like different types of coffees, it adds to the taste choices.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Here in Louisiana we take our coffee pretty seriously. :) And my Honey and I are pretty serious about ours too. Before we married my Honey drank any brand of coffee...but after we moved back here to Louisiana and he tasted our Community Coffee...any brand is now a thing of the past. We like the flavored Coffees..he takes his black with a teaspoon of sugar and I like my morning cup with flavored coffee creams too. Community Coffee even comes out with new flavors at certain times of the year. Like during Mardi Gras they will produce a King Cake and Pecan Praline flavored coffee. We don't like ours real strong but light and mellow. But many true cajuns want their coffee so thick a spoon can stand up in it! :D

IMG_1947.JPG

12. Ken Anderson

Registered

I had never heard of Community Coffee, @Babs Hunt; but for those who may be interested, here is a link to their site. Right now, I have plenty of coffee on hand but, unless I forget, I might order a bag so that I can taste it for myself.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  13. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I like Gevalia.

14. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It is only when I feel that the moon is blue that I will drink coffee. The time is few and far between when I actually purchased coffee but when I do it is International Coffee, the flavored type.

15. Ken Anderson

Registered

Is this what you're talking about? I used to drink a lot of that stuff. I'm sure I'd still like it but I gave it up for the calories some time back.

international coffee.jpg

Von Jones likes this.
  16. Arlene Richards

Registered

GF International coffee drink mix used to be heavily advertised on TV commercials – not so much anymore. I tried it and didn’t care for it at all.

17. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson - that's the one. That little tin can can last me for months.

18. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Well if you do order some...let us know what your taste buds think about it. :)

19. Arlene Richards

Registered

White Castle coffee is also good. I like Starbucks but will only buy if on sale.

20. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I drink Folgers or Safeway brand of coffee because I can buy it for $5 for a 38 oz. can. By choice I'd rather drink Kona coffee, but it's expensive. I drink Kona coffee at McDonald's when I can and enjoy it. The canned ones have too much sugar so I stay away from the canned Kona coffee drinks.

21. Ken Anderson

Registered

I bought this bag of Chicory in March, and I use a pinch of it in nearly every pot of coffee I make, and I go through a lot of coffee, yet I still have half the bag left. It really goes a long way.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  22. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    Best time to make them into wine??

23. Janice Martin

Janice Martin Well-Known Member
    Registered

It may or may not be available where you live, but you can get coffee (cans) with chicory already in it.
    I like it very much but it tends to give me headaches.

Up until a few years ago I usually drank instant, but while I use a variety of brands now it's usually Folger's. Plain. I don't like flavorings in coffee.

Terry Page and Frank Sanoica like this.
  24. Ken Anderson

Registered

Now I've gotten spoiled and like the freshness of whole bean coffee but I have used Luzianne often before, and it comes with chicory in it.

25. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson I bet you could tell us some "stories" about that Internet Cafe you once owned! :) Of course that would probably be a subject for a different thread if you haven't already started oen on your Internet Cafe.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017