What Is Art?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Tom Locke, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

There are some caves near where I live that have ancient Pictish carvings. The location is Wemyss (pronounced Weems), the name of which derives from the Celtic word uamh, meaning cave. These carvings can, undoubtedly, be described as art, but they are equally assuredly a form of communication.

Joe Riley and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Like many cave carvings, the Pictish ones here feature animals, in this case a fish.

0_around_edinburgh_-_east_wemyss_jonathans_cave_fish_1638.jpg

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

After you mentioned the caves, I googled them and found a site you can enter the caves in 4D. It was a little hard to navigate going through the caves though.

Terry Page and Tom Locke like this.
  4. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Why is Art Important

5. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

That's a powerful 2 minute video, Terry.
    I like, "If we can change the way they perceive or the way they see, then we can change the way they think".

Here's my humble attempt to create a reminder of the effects of deforestation. This is 1 in a series of 3 environmental issues I've addressed and plan to do more. I have a much better quality photo but it was too large for SO. So I took this one standing farther away and cropped in on it but it's fuzzy and less detailed. Oh well.

I've signed it with the first initial of my last name. The quote is by Thoreau (public domain) and much clearer in the original. I used metallic copper acrylic paint for the forest so it has a slight sheen to it….not evident in this photo.
    IMG_2135.JPG

Terry Page likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

How about things like the art of war, the art of persuasion, and the like?

Terry Page and Lara Moss like this.
  7. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Those are excellent ideas. War is not me but the art of persuasion is something all females know something about :rolleyes:

Terry Page likes this.
  8. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Loved the painting Lara, you could perhaps post more of your work?

Lara Moss likes this.
  9. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you Terry. Whenever I figure out how to reduce the photos I will. The maximum SO range must be set smaller here than in SF so it was a struggle and the result was a huge phot and out of focus. I've often wanted to post pics of my fall leaves and other photos I've taken myself but always get a pop-up that denies them.
    The only solution is to stand wayyy back to shot it, crop wayyy in to post it, and then the quality is too disappointing. Dragging online photos is no problem.

10. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson , you started me thinking (that's always a good thing) about making a powerful statement about war...and yet not a bloody, gory, overdone visual of bombing/planes/military/guns/death, etc. I just don't like dwelling in the negative too long. Something more along the lines of post destruction of the overall planet with the contrast of life or rebirth of life and beauty. That would be a challenge, yet the result could be intriguing. Thanks for that idea.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"Painting imitator in 'Art and Craft' documentary says he wanted attention, not fortune"
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-art-and-craft-20140925-story.html
    [​IMG]
    "Mark Landis didn't become an art imitator for the money. Using his name along with several aliases — he even posed as a Catholic priest — Landis attempted to donate 100 fakes to some 50 institutions in 20 states. And because he has not accepted money for his work, Landis has never been charged with a crime".

12. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Gosh, I don't know what to think of Landis. Mixed emotions since he didn't do it for money but rather for attention. It's hard to get upset with a guy who was that desperately lonely (wait, I moved around all my life too with a Navy father and I'm not that bad…no old friends though…no social media back then to stay in touch).

Sounds like he just enjoyed copying other's works for the pleasure of it and for the friends it brought him. He just enjoyed pleasing them too. But living a lie all that time must have been hard. I want to be mad at him but just can't be. He's happy with new friends after being found out, and happy about a movie of his life.

Generally speaking, I have little sympathy for people who run galleries or jury the shows though….it's largely political (who you know, how you relate socially at the openings, and not necessarily based on the best art)

Joe Riley likes this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe they should hang the people on the walls, and let the art, strut around!;)

Lara Moss likes this.
  14. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

You're onto something, Joe…that's called "installation art". Congratulations, you're an artist.

Joe Riley likes this.
  15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Lara Moss likes this.