What Happened To The Head Of John The Baptist?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Lon Tanner, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

It's written that he was beheaded . What did they do with his head?

2. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Do you know why he was beheaded? I am curious. (I know the answer, I think)

3. Joseph Carl

Joseph Carl Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well, since Lon's not answering that easy question, I will. As the Bible says and of which movies have been made, Herod had John arrested and put in prison at the request of Herodias because John had been publicly speaking out against the adulterous affair between Herod and his sister-in-law Herodius.

The where question cannot be decisively answered because there are several churches making claim to having his skull and dispursed parts. It makes sense though that such a meaningful relic, including all of the bone parts of John, would have been preserved by caring Christians of the day and later turned over to protective churches.

Emma Potter and Lon Tanner like this.
  4. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's true. Herod had married his brother Philip's wife Herodias, which was not only illegal, but immoral. John, who preached righteousness, confronted Herod about it.

Well, that is something one just couldn't do to a the leader of Galilee. Except for John's following, and because a riot would have gotten him in trouble with Rome, Herod decided not to kill him but throw him into prison.

Herodias' daughter danced at Herod's birthday party, and apparently it was very alluring, to put it mildly. There is one word to describe it - carnality, (or lust). The bible states that the dance "greatly pleased" Herod, and we all know what that means. The cost was John's head. Jesus later said: "....of all who have ever lived, none is greater than John the Baptist."

Joseph Carl likes this.