What Do You Keep In The Trunk Of Your Car When Traveling By Car?

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Ken Anderson, May 12, 2024.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When taking a trip by car, other than local trips, what do you carry in the trunk of your car?

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Other than the stuff that's always in there... spare tire, tool kit, medical kit, we usually only carry luggage. When the kids were small we sometimes packed a cooler with drinks and sandwich stuff.

3. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

In the Winter I always try to put a D-handle plastic-blade scoop shovel back there.

Most of the rest is always in there: jumper cables, super-capacitor pack jump starter, 12 volt tire inflator, 3 orange-flasher magnetic emergency lights (double as flash lights), a couple of microfiber rags, a pair of old "mud shoes." Spare, jack and tools came with the car. A few of the old plastic grocery bags. Remainder of a roll of duct tape.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I always have road flares, spare, hand cleaner, rags, etc. I also carry paper maps. Back in the day, I used to carry an extra fan belt, points, condenser, distributor cap and tool kit. These days I don't mess with that stuff...there's nothing mechanical I could possibly fix, either at roadside or at home. I carry my AAA card instead.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I'd like to pretend that I'm more responsible than I am, but sometimes I don't even check to see that I have a spare tire. Since I rarely get flats anymore, I usually do have a spare tire. Although I'm perfectly capable and equipped to change a tire, I can handle that with a cell phone and my AAA card. In the winter, even on shorter trips, I try to remember to place a wool blanket in the car; I have one in plastic for just that purpose. It's a thick, 100% wool blanket, so I think I could survive almost any Maine winter night in a car. Although I will have either my Garmin or my iPhone for GPS, I carry a Maine Atlas for trips within the state when traveling alone because I like to turn off onto roads I haven't been on before. When my wife's along, she doesn't let me get off the Interstate unless it's absolutely necessary. I should carry a small shovel, which I have, and a flashlight, but I usually forget to take it. One might think I could just leave them in the car, but my wife often unloads the trunk; I'm not sure why; maybe she puts bodies in the trunk when she's off by herself, I don't know.

Last edited: May 13, 2024
  6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

A couple of beach towels, a folding chair, old sneakers, a tarp, a gallon of water and a roll of paper towels, plus the usual jumper cable, spare tire, jack.

7. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oh yeah. I normally have at least one of those thin rolled up fleece blankets that sell very cheaply in the back of the car. I'm starting to think a small plastic tarp makes sense as well.

8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We carry a lot of stuff in the car in the winter here, as breaking down in winter here could mean death at -40 F./C. In the summer we carry much less. There are flares and the usual spare tire in the car. In the truck I carry about the same year-round, but we don't take it on long drive. I do have basic tools and fluids, and an emergency sleeping bag plus tarps and ratchet straps and rope.

Mary Stetler and Ken Anderson like this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I never empty my trunk. There is always something in there that could come in handy.:rolleyes:

10. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A Trunk Monkey:

John Brunner and Mary Stetler like this.