What Do Forums Need?

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Veteran Member
    Registered

Dear @Ken Anderson :D
    I properly asking this in the wrong spot ,but here go's ..why haven't we got any smilies other than the 12 little ones we have
    I'd love to see some funnies please to attach to posts in games/ other posts

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

@Kate Ellery - I love the smilies too, think they are important, as sometimes I'm not sure if someone is serious or
    joking with me :rolleyes: :)

Joe Riley and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Okay, I will try to add some smilies before long. Sometime this week, I need to upgrade the software that runs the forum, which means upgrading the theme as well. If past practice continues, this won't be anything you'll notice on your end, although there may be a few differences. Once I have done that, I'll look into adding some more smilies.

Meanwhile, what this forum needs is more people talking. We have had plenty of people online but not a whole lot of discussion going on. No, no, this is not a complaint -- just an encouragement.

4. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes Ken agree folks get off the conversation or PM thread and chat to each other.

5. Avigail David

Avigail David Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thank you. We are grateful for the conveniences here. It's still semi-rural suburbs. But I still miss the hilly views from my windows in the country. But I can still go back to the old house after some renovations are done.

6. Ken Anderson

Registered

Por favor, if you're going to share one funny photo or meme, rather than starting a thread for just that one photo, add it to one of the threads we already have for funny pictures, memes, signs, etc. Gracias.

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thinking this over, I have to agree the main group which carescto read and respond to my own drivel, is pretty limited in number. I scare folks off, perhaps. OTOH, often I try to get involved in discussions originated by others, but my abilities in areas not technical in nature are limited.
    Frank

Denise Happyfeet likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Registered

You do fine, Frank.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Denise Happyfeet

Denise Happyfeet Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

None of us know all about, or even a little about some topics. I just skip the ones I don't get, or sometimes, since it's safe on this forum, I ask questions because I like learning new stuff;)

Yvonne Smith and Patsy Faye like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Registered

If you ever find yourself trying to think of a topic to add, please feel free to start a thread in the Movies & Entertainment forum for any television show, movie, or actor that you might be thinking about. It doesn't have to be new movie, either. If you're watching an old movie or television series, tell us why you like it, or why you hate it, if that's the case. Feel free, also, to review any restaurant you've eaten in in the Restaurant Reviews sub-forum. Include a link if they have a web site, or give their address. This may include local restaurants, chains, or whatever.

Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Registered

Question: What do forums need?
    Answer: Posts. Forums need posts.

It's not unusual for a forum to slow down during the summer, which is sort of like the yearly equivalent of weekends, since they slow down on weekends too, and for the same reasons -- people tend to have other things to do. Even in the warm states, where the cold doesn't necessarily keep people indoors in the winter, there are more things to do in the summer. Grandchildren are out of school, people visit, etc. So I'm not worried that things have slowed down here.

Not a lot, anyhow. Still, it's nice to see more activity going on. In any forum, those who start new topics are in the minority. Most people reply to what others are saying. That's probably why a lot of forum administrators encourage people to start new threads - one new thread is usually good for at least a few new posts, particularly when the opening post is substantive. An opening post is more valuable than a link to a news story or video, although those can be conversation starters as well. Even so, adding your own content to the opening post adds a lot to it.

My opinion is that a new thread is great when it's a new topic but, if the topic has already been discussed, I'd rather see it added to the existing thread. I can easily merge similar threads though, so don't feel obligated to do an exhaustive search before introducing a topic.

So if you really want to see the forum more active, you can help by being more active yourself. New topics don't have to be particularly deep or earth shattering. In this forum, a story from your childhood is perfect. It doesn't even have to be true, since we have a place for tall tales and fabrications. Tell us about the jobs you're had, the places you've visited, the things you've done, etc. What would you still like to do?

As I suggested in my last post, review the last movie or television show you watched. This isn't a movie review site, so it isn't necessary to review the latest things out in the theater. Whatever you're watching is fine. If it's worth your time to watch it, it's worth our time to read about it. Do you like it or not? Why? Does it bring up memories? What have you learned about it, or about any of the actors who are in it?

Whatever is on your mind, please feel free to share it with us. When people see new stuff, they are more likely to stick around to read it, or reply to it. When they see your new topics, they might be inclined to add their own.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  12. Ken Anderson

Registered

When someone says something that you like or enjoy, rather than simply clicking the "like" button, take a moment to tell them why you liked it. Most people would appreciate the feedback, and it's good for the forum, as long as the comments don't consist of one or two-word posts.