What Crazy Things Can You Remember Once Believing?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It makes sense that we will leave behind some of our past flawed thinking as we learn new things as we grow up. To start with, I can remember thinking that water went down a different tube than food. After all, they came out of different places, and I suppose I picked up on people excusing a coughing fit by saying that something went down the wrong tube. Trying to pee out a potato could be a problem. So, I can recall worrying about making sure that my food and drinks remained separate, and wondering how things got sorted out when it came to soups and stews. After all, we eat ice cream and we drink root beer, so what do you do with a root beer float? What crazy things can you remember once believing?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hmmm. Well, I used to believe that a fat guy in a red velvet suit actually came down the chimney and left me a Betsy-Wetsy doll and some cap pistols. Also that a large rabbit left candy for me in my wicker Easter basket. :D I guess those are pretty crazy but I bought the whole thing. :D

3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I went to parochial school so I was taught the catechism, but later started thinking for myself.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

That, for the 21 years after my divorce to first wife, I'd meet "Mrs. Right" in a nightclub. I've been told that it can happen, but for me, it was a definite "no way!". I tried, boy did I try.

Marie Mallery and Von Jones like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Swallowing a watermelon seed would keep me up late with worry.

Then there's the idea that is you look cross-eyed and someone slaps you on the back, you'll be stuck like that forever.

Marie Mallery and Von Jones like this.
  6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Remember the old "roller towel" apparatuses in restrooms with the cloth towel coming out of the housing and rolling back in the back?

There were two rollers, one with the clean towel and one that was supposed to roll up the used towel (except that it frequently wouldn't roll up the used portion and you'd have 30 feet of roller towel laying on the floor.

Well, anyway, as a kid, I thought it was one short loop of towel that somehow got miraculously washed and dried in the housing. Honestly, I did!

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Did we have the same mother?? I'll bet you were terrified of accidentally swallowing your gum, too. :D

8. Ken Anderson

My mom used that one on me, telling me that gum never left the intestines. I didn't buy that though, because I swallowed most of my gum.

Von Jones likes this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I was gonna mention that, but a quick web search says that it CAN be an issue if you swallow too much of it. Sadly, it looses its flavor on the bedpost overnight ;)

Von Jones likes this.
  10. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Remember "Your ears are so dirty, a sweet potato vine is going to grow out of them"?

Or there was always, "You'd better pull that lower lip back in, Miss Pouty, or a cold wind's gonna blow and it'll freeze that way forever!"

11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm thinking. I use to believe there was a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. What a lovely thing to believe in. :)

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

When I was a little girl, my whole infatuation in life was to grow up and marry Roy Rogers, because he owned Trigger, and I loved Trigger. I also enjoyed listening to Roy sing, and he was a cowboy Hero, so what was there not to love about the man ?
    Anyway, my mother told me. (Over and over) that Roy Rogers was already married to Dale Evans, so I could not marry him when I grew up. I was sure that when I grew up, he would marry me anyway, and it took me a while to realize that I was wrong.
    Then, I fixated on having a horse of my very own….

13. Ken Anderson

My Uncle Art went into the hospital, and I can remember hearing that he was hospitalized because he had "water on the knee." I wondered how someone could avoid getting water on their knees, and why he would have to be hospitalized because his knees got wet. He never came home from the hospital, so he died because his knees were wet.

I pondered that for the longest time, trying to figure out what that was all about. Perhaps it's a personality trait that began young because I don't generally ask questions; instead, I try to figure things out for myself. This was exacerbated by the fact that no one felt the need to explain anything to me, so I was working on things I overheard. That was a tough one, though, and I wondered why it was that no one seemed particularly concerned about baths, swimming, or rain. Should I worry about these things?

I never did get a concrete answer for that one, but I did learn, much later, that he had died of cancer, so I assume that one of the symptoms was excess fluid around his knee joints, and when he was first admitted, that might have been all that was known about his problem.

14. Jenna Parnellson

Jenna Parnellson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well, I grew up thinking my parents were probably right. Or at least, that they knew what they were talking about. Oops.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My brother convinced me that there was a troll or "boogieman" living under my bed who came out at night. For years at bedtime I would turn off the light then make a running leap to get on the bed, then cover my head to be "safe".

I have to admit, I still feel a little cringey when standing next to my bed at night. :D :confused: