Weather Or Drivers?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Since we all know, supposedly, that Senior drivers are safer drivers than the younger generations, I definitely wouldn't blame all driving problems on weather conditions. Whether it's snow or light-to-heavy rain, young drivers simply don't want to slow down. Since moving back to Colorado, and during the last snows we've had, I've read the online Tweet from the Colorado State Patrol telling (not asking) drivers to slow down.

Just like here, when dealing with snow/ice, So California and Florida young drivers don't want to slow down during the rainy season. The freeways are turned into junk yards of accidents. Auto body shops are sure kept in business, due to these drivers.

All I know is that I've read numerous times where local law enforcement and/or Highway Patrol have outright told folks to "please slow down" in bad weather conditions. Guess they have the stats that prove that young/young adult drivers refuse to slow down, no matter how bad driving conditions are.

What do you think?

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I think you spend far too much time focusing on the negative when it comes to other people, especially people that are unlike yourself. Which is pretty much everyone. :D

Frank Sanoica and Mary Robi like this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I happen to think you should slow down a little, even just driving at night on high speed roads. Maybe just 10 mph slower. All you can see are red and white lights. It's got to be more challenging to anyone.

I had to drive home last night after dark on 65 mph limit in heavy traffic. I kept up, because if you don't it causes folks to change lanes getting around you, but it didn't feel comfortable.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

And, why do you spend so much time focusing on WHY I wonder about some things. Fair question to a fair reply. :D

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

One thing to remember folks, I'm, as was Ken, was in the EMS field as a former EMT (me) and Paramedic (him). We've both seen what speed can do in bad weather conditions. That's why I always agree with the tweets from law enforcement telling folks to "SLOW DOWN" in rainy or snow/ice conditions. But, most definitely don't. Way too many fatalities involving bad weather and speedy/wild drivers.

Holly Saunders and Bess Barber like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Because you asked "what do you think?" :p

Holly Saunders and Mary Robi like this.
  7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Just how senior do you have to be to be a SAFE DRIVER? Are seniors that drink & drive Safe Drivers?

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Tragedy struck at my daughters workplace this week. One of her bosses...young woman of 28 ..her husband and three kids ..4-5 years- and six months old...all killed in Colorado on vacation. Was hit by a drunk and doped up 18 wheeler truck driver.
    Such a waste and heart breaker for all.:(

Frank Sanoica and Bess Barber like this.
  9. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I'm not sure age is a factor in indicating if a driver has good sense or not. Anywhere you go in any type of weather, there are always a handful of idiots speeding by as though it is a bright sunny day putting other people on the road in jeopardy. It shows a total lack of respect.

download - 2019-11-23T184710.013.jpeg

Holly Saunders and Lois Winters like this.
  10. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I've seen some very dangerous senior drivers on the roads and can't understand how they keep a license. Of course others keep away from them.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

There are Seniors out there that are dangerous drivers due to driving way too slow in good conditions and can really upset young drivers in a fast-paced area. Then again, there are those Seniors that are very, very smart and drive slowly when it comes to snow and ice conditions, while the young drivers just seem not to care and speed.

Law enforcement and local news don't tell folks to drive carefully and "slow down" for the heck of it.

12. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

OH Dear Lord!! I'm so sorry to hear that Gloria, may they all R.I.P....what a terrible tragedy!! :(

I hope the truck driver has been arrested and will face serious punishment

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  13. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Perhaps what they need to do before anyone passes a driving test...you do have driving tests in the USA don't you?.... is to take them to a morgue to view road crash victims, to show just what speed or drink driving can do to them or others...

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Did the news release actually state "doped up"? Wonder if this truck driver was even from Colorado or simply driving thru. Believe it or not, even though Colorado is a "legal recreationally marijuana" state, sure doesn't mean everyone in the state is driving around smoking a joint or hitting a Bong.

Then again, this thread is only about bad weather drivers.

15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I am merley reporting what police told.

Holly Saunders likes this.