We Are Struggling Today

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My belongings are insured ...don't know for how much because my daughter takes care of all that but I do have a lock on my gate to the back and have ADT security that is connected to the police.

If they jump the fence, they can get in my side door to the garage (no alarm) but they can't get into the house as that door has an alarm.

I never use the side door and have it kind of rigged so that if it is opened..I'll hear it.

I do have lots of tools in my garage but I don't even know what because I never use any. My ex bought most of them.

If I lived by you, I'd let Bobby help himself to whatever to tide him over until he gets new ones or the stolen ones are found.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have lost several tools, probably to handymen we’ve hired, but piece by piece, not all at once. Without the easy ability to earn extra money, I hate to lose things that would otherwise last me the rest of my life.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I don’t lend my tools out UNLESS I know the person and am 100% sure I’ll get them back. Have never had a problem. I don’t own expensive tools and only have two major tools.....battery operated hand drill and screwdriver.
    We have no need for any big tools. My career was using a computer, not tools.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My ex bought a lot of tools, he liked woodworking as a hobby. He also was pretty handy at fixing things, that's why I have so many tools.

I'm different about lending things....if you want or need it, it's yours. I actually have thoughts of downsizing the easy way...letting people come in my home and whatever they want that I'm getting rid of they can just take.

I'm not the garage sale or eBay type of person.

Sheldon Scott and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Have definitely never heard of that.....letting people come and take what you don’t want.
    Guess you wouldn’t need the money.
    Anyway........

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm actually going to donate a lot to a garage sale....saw on my neighborhood app that a HS is doing a huge garage sale to raise money for something. They'll pick up the stuff, so that works great for me.

I don't really need anything in my life right now so the few extra bucks I would make isn't that important to me.

I have an alarm system to protect my life and a few processions that I would miss. My iPad, my iPhone, the jewelry my hubby bought me and a few treasured antiques Ive inherited.

You can have everything else!

It's not that I'm so wealthy that I don't need money but it's just not a priority for me. I'm comfortable and it doesn't take a lot for me to be happy....

I'm at a point where I don't need or want "things".

Guess I'm just happier with the simple things in life...a visit with family, etc.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Sheldon Scott likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Most high schools (at least used to ) have a workshop where kids can learn woodworking and other trades and woodcraft. I think that the school would be extremely happy to have any of the tools that they can use, and you would also be helping teenagers to learn a good trade, which I know you have a heart for doing, @Chrissy Cross .

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'll ask this person that's taking the items for donation for this event. I'm sure she knows what the local high schools need around here.

We have a lot of schools in this area.

Thanks for the suggestion...wouldn't have thought of that.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

When we needed help with some project or for moving, I have asked to the youth group at the church I attended in Idaho, and then we donated money to the group, and fed them pizza and pop; so they were always glad to help out, and it worked out great for us and for the youth group both.
    I think that anytime you can help out kids, or kids groups, it is a good thing, and when they are teenagers, they are usually a whole lot of help.
    This is something that you might want to do as you are getting ready to move, and need help loading the U-Haul truck, also.

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Makes sense. :)

I'm naturally a giving type person and I love helping others when I can and I don't expect monetary reward....getting
    Help with physical things in return is always welcomed and appreciated by me though and is worth more than what someone would pay me for something.

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Here’s the rub. My equipment was not only used to do the odd jobs around the house that I like to do, but to earn that extra money by renovating a few homes that were damaged by the ne’er-do-wells who destroyed them.
    It’s an oxymoron in that people who do not want to work steal another person’s capability to work and make money legally. At least the thieving druggies have their drugs to show for it, however temporary that might be.

A few trusted neighbors plus a few other people outside the neighborhood are keeping their ears and eyes open in order to find the culprits. I am sure they will be found but I am not sure of my own actions when I find out. At this point, calculating my options of action, calling the police again is down on my list by a considerable measure.
    It’s not a matter of vengeance or any such nonsense but rather an attempt to show a stand which might somehow unite the good neighbors we have and get rid of those who do not wish to live in peace.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I came across this, a line of products from Guardline, that seems to be more than reasonably priced. Is this something that might help? I know it says driveway alarms, but I'm thinking they could be used elsewhere as well.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

We have the little security camera working right now (thanks to some help from The Guruette -Robin) and Bobby is going to install that today. We are going to order another one and then have one in the shop and one that shows the driveway, and as we can afford to get them, we will probably add more cameras that show the back yard.
    The app is installed on our phones, and it is supposed to alert us if something moves and triggers the camera. We got the camera because, every so often kids (or someone) gets into the car, throws things around and steals the change, leaving the pennies. There is never very much change in there; but we thought if we had a camera that showed the driveway and car, we could at least tell who was doing it. We figured it was probably the kids who live behind us, and Bobby was going to have a word with their parents once we knew for sure who was responsible.
    Obviously, it was not the neighbor kids who stole all of Bobby’s tools, but it is possible that they were in the shop and told someone what was in there.
    We even found the house key and are going to start locking up the house when we are gone; so you know we are getting pretty serious about this whole thing.

14. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bobby Cole, I am sorry to hear about your shop invasion and loss of your tools. I will be praying that they will be found and returned to you, along with your joy and sense of security! God bless you both!