Was Pontius Pilate Murdered Or Did He Commit Suicide?

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Lon Tanner, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

This has been a subject of debate.

2. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's an interesting question. Pilate's time as fifth procurator of Judea and servant as the peacekeeper between this Jewish region and Rome has many lessons in it.

It's clear from a careful reading of the trial of Jesus that there were TWO trials going on at once. Pilate had already offended the Jewish leaders several times before, and they had complained to Caesar, so he had to be very careful to conduct this trial correctly, because he was concerned about his own political position. So when Jesus came before him, there was pressure from both Jewish leaders and Rome - Pilate wanted to free an innocent man, but he was forced to save his position of keeping peace in this region.

Pilate tried numerous ways to free Jesus - he sent him to Herod, who also found no fault in him, so he sent him back to Pilate. Even Pilate's wife told him that she had a dream and that he should have no part in this illegal trial. But he didn't listen, and continued to mock and jeer Jesus. The crowd of Jews told him that he was no friend of Caesar's if he let this man (Jesus) go free. He felt that he had no choice but to turn Jesus over for execution.

Long story short, I think the guilt of what he had done made it difficult to carry on his life after this. I don't know of all that happened, but he was recalled to Rome for another political mistake, and was banished from the land. Some accounts say he committed suicide of his own accord, while some others assert that after he committed suicide, and then his body was thrown into the Tiber River. I don't think anyone can say for sure.

Lon Tanner likes this.
  3. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Actually, his death was recently reclassified as a Covid-19 death.