Waiting For My Wife's Slow Progress

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My first shotgun was a Remington sportsman 48. It was a 20ga. semi auto. I was 12 when I got it. Must have run thousands of shells through it over the years. One of my grandsons has it now and it still works good as ever.
    I've owned hundreds of guns over the years. Had many "wish I'd kept" guns. Always had a love affair with pistols. Had more of them than anything. I sure do miss my shooting days.:(

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I love duck eggs. They are so tasty, but I rather watch the antics of ducks than eat them.

When I was 13, right after my father married me off to a to city man almost 40 years my senior, I remember he, (husband), brought home a goose for me to cook for a weekend get together. I tried to tell him that the animal had been a pet, and was way too old for cooking.

Of course he said I was too young to know anything about it, so he put the goose on the BBQ pit to slow cook for several hours. I made lots the fixing to go with his BBQed duck thank goodness.

We all sat down to eat, and like the macho fool he was, he decided to show me how to carve a goose. He never got even one piece to put on a plate. But, we had plenty of sides to eat.

After everyone left, my ex tried to boil that goose for soup or whatever, but to no avail. I finally threw the darn thing outside for the dogs. It became the tug of war toy for several days, but when I finally got tired of seeing it around the yard, I threw it away, and it was still in one piece.

So much for his wisdom of age.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

If it wasn't your father that had the Indian Heritage, Ina....he should have been jailed and I hate to say that about your father but marrying off a 13 yr old to a 53 yr old is very sick. The 53 yr old should have been jailed also.

I do respect other cultures and that is their business but not in the US. If I have the story wrong....sorry.

Just makes me angry.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

My dad ate "blood sausage" and "head cheese" quite a bit, and both were things that I didn't even want to try. By its name, I knew I didn't want to eat blood sausage, but I did try head cheese once and it was truly disgusting.

As for shooting, the first time I shot a shotgun, it was a 12-gauge because that's all we had, and my shoulder was sore for a long time. I think it was quite a long time before I could bring myself to try a shotgun again, but I was probably around twelve then. We regularly carried a .22 in the woods, but the 12-ga. shotgun was too much for me.

Ike Willis likes this.
  5. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Well-Known Member
    Registered

Does any hunting enthusiast remember this????? Back in the 50's there was a government program that allowed school students to hunt with their folks. This was (Putting Food On The Table). You had to show the principal your hunting license and give him a permission slip from your folks. You could get off school a good week. Me and my one cousin attended Waterville school, and only girls with hunting licenses. We had our black/red plaid jackets with a place to put our license on the back.

Another thing I remember was a small grocery store in town, that had a butcher shop in the back. They also rented out refrigerated lockers. You rented whatever size you wanted. Dad would get a good size because he would buy half a side of beef and have it cut the way he wanted. Also for a price the butcher would clean and dress whatever bird, or animal you shot in the hunt, and put in your locker. My gosh the things a person remembers.

Ike Willis and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Marilyn Pahl

Registered

I didn't eat any of that blood stuff either. My late husband only ate it when his friends would bring it over. Sure wasn't going to cook it either.

Ina I. Wonder and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Forgot about head cheese....disgusting as a child but didn't mind it as an adult. First time I ever shot anything was when I met my husband and he took me target shooting. He was impressed with my abilities and asked me to marry him. :)
    I was also a pretty good shot. ;)

@Marilyn Pahl, cooking blood sausage was tricky....it was encased in a very thin skin and my husband liked it browned well but it also took awhile to cook through and the trick was to get it perfect before it exploded and didn't look like a sausage anymore. :)

Marilyn Pahl and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  8. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Chrissy Page, you got it right. My father was a German "self ordained" Hard Shell Baptist preacher. He "got' religion when I was five. He used to be a hard drinking fighting drunk before that. He thought I was God's punishment for his past behavior. A female instead of the son he felt he deserved. I was his only child. And I was worth $500.00 in 1965. (A lot of money to them back then.), My mother got to take a vacation to AZ with it.

When I left my first husband, I tried to get a restraining order against him. If he wasn't beating me up when he found me, he had some of his buddies 'ole ladies' beat the you know what out of me. The judge actually laughed like he hadn't had a good laugh in a long time. So much for child protection laws in Texas in the 60's.

And people wonder why I think Native American beliefs are better for me.

My father was a very prejudice man. He swore the devil drink was why he married my Native American mother. Between my father and mother I grew up ashamed of my mother's people. My grandmother is the one that taught me to see Native Americans for who they really were.

9. Marilyn Pahl

Registered

One cuz....Her husband brought home a duck during duck season. He went all out with the duck blind, and quackie noise maker. Anyway cuz was going to clean the duck and put it in boiling water. No one told her she had to dry puck it because the feathers are waterproof. We laughed to ourselves didn't want to hurt her feelings.:oops:

Ike Willis and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Jeez, well at least you made it despite him @Ina I. Wonder.

At 13 I was still so naive about boys and sex. I had barely quit playing with my dolls at that point. I was starting to like boys but had no idea what it all involved beyond a kiss, lol.

Ike Willis likes this.
  11. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

My grandmother told me I could eat life, or it could eat me. Took me awhile to understand that one. At least life doesn't have calories, and at times it can be very fulfilling.

12. Marilyn Pahl

Registered

When my brother died and we were 4yrs. old of spinal meningitis there was a lot of blame and guilt for mom and dad. This was 1945 and the doctors didn't have the things to work with like now. My brother was treated for a cold by both folks and doctor. Folks separated I lived with mom and grandma in Waterville. Dad and uncle went to Hot Springs and started the bath house business. He would always come back to Waterville in the fall and hunting season.And we all took the train to Hot Springs on summer vacation to see dad and uncle. Sometimes alone with my cousins to see their dad. Mom worked as head bookkeeper for a large hardware wholesales in Northwest Ohio, but would never cash her checks stick em in a drawer. The company got after her about it. She just worked to forget...Dad loved his family and didn't know how to deal with grief. Both grandma's said, it was best they separated. It was magic to see mom happy on the trips to Ark. Hot Springs had so many auction houses. Grand articles from the mansions in the South to look at.:)

13. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I remember a butcher shop that had lockers for rent like you described. We didn't get any time off for hunting though. However, I was "sick" quite a few really nice days for hunting. When my parents saw the absences on my report card, that ended.:D

Marilyn Pahl likes this.
  14. Marilyn Pahl

Registered

I can imagine it's tricky to work with. I'd wreck it for sure. Dad and Mom being French loved escaroles with hot melted butter and garlic.Oysters in the half shell. Couldn't look at them. :)

15. Marilyn Pahl

Registered

Hunting was first priority over football, fishing, all the holidays, even January thaw. The town coffee shop would be jammed. Many farmers would let us hunt on their property if they knew you real well. Last time I hunted with dad was 1973 most of his friends had passed. So we went to hunt on a State Game Reserve. I guess that's what it was called. It was like armpit to armpit. Dad said, it was to dangerous to hunt like that and we stayed about an hour. Then went to Bartells he had free water and food for the dogs. a waterhole for hunters and located in the cornfields. When we open the door all our friends were in there. Eating and drinking and complaining, then went home. That was the last of found memories.:)

Ike Willis likes this.