Volunteering to Teach Deaf Kids in Thailand

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Kevin Matthew, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Kevin Matthew

Kevin Matthew Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this information, but I thought I'd share something exciting I'm going to be doing in 2016. It's officially been arranged... now I just have to save up and fundraise to make it happen...

During the summer of 2016 I will be going to Thailand to teach Deaf students. Deaf students in Thailand don't tend to get a lot of education - ok, it's almost non-existent... I've taught Deaf kids for about 25 years, and have been signing for about 35 years, and decided that I needed to do something to help out... So instead of teaching and earning a living (!), I'm now saving up to be able to volunteer and help Deaf kids there.

I've been to Europe, but have never been to Thailand, so it's a bit daunting - between not understanding the language, and needing to learn Thai Sign Language, I think I've got my work cut out for me! But not doing it just isn't an option...

2. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, you sound like a man with a mission. I hope your preparation goes well. At first I thought you only had a few months, but then realized you said 2016 and don't have to be ready by this summer. Whew!

3. Kevin Matthew

Kevin Matthew Veteran Member
    Registered

If I was going this summer, I'd be in a total panic around now. I tend to stress out about things right until I'm in the middle of them, and then I'm relatively calm. I guess it seems once I'm there, I'll just deal with things... No point getting stressed... Jet-lagged maybe, but why stress? :)

Allie Seay likes this.
  4. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

I think that is great, Kevin! I would love to do volunteer work here but anything that a Thai can do, I am not allowed to. And the last thing I want to do is break any law here and be deported (or worse)! Do you know yet where you will be teaching? If you will be in Pattaya,I can be your free guide but if it is in Bangkok, I'd just get both of lost!

5. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

Go for it @Kevin Matthew I think you will do great with teaching and influencing young lives to good. Sign language has been a great interest to me. My sister worked with the non-hearing/deft. I learned some, too.

6. Clark Smith

Clark Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

That's quite an honorable cause you have there. Let me tell you that I respect you for what you'll do. In this world full of anger the need for someone like you that helps the other needys are fundametal.

7. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I think this is a great opportunity to for you and I also find this to be a very noble calling that you have. As for raising money there are places online where you can ask for donations if you have a worthy cause. I would say that going to Thialand to teach deaf kids is a very worthy cause that individuals could rally around. Good luck to you and keep us posted, I want to know if you will be able to make your trip.

8. Susan Brown

Susan Brown Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow congratulations! That is awesome and will be such a great experience for you and the children. I wish you all the best!!