Vitamin D A No Go For Arthritic Knees, Study Finds

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ruby Begonia, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Lara, worst case aside, it was kidney stones my doctor had mentioned last year, also blood clotting issues for people who need blood thinners, too much vitamen K. I had to Google it to refresh my memory.

Denise Evans likes this.
  2. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

The way I look at it, in my own weird way .... after being on this good earth all these years, and trying this, and doing that, and this is good and that is bad ..... I just know I/we have gotten to this point in life somehow. ;)

And since it's downhill from here, I will take care of urgent problems the best I can, but tend to let many things go by the wayside anymore. Tired of all the expert advice we get, which changes like the weather anyway!

I firmly believe in healthy eating and getting exercise everyday. ...and some vitamins, supplements for eyes, bones, memory.

But as for the sunscreen, I've never used it. .. have lived my whole life loving the sun, and getting dark tans.
    I've got oily Italian skin that tans easily ... I just don't burn. I wear a visor for my eyes, while in the yard working.
    Sunscreen would never stay on the skin in all this heat & humidity when doing anything.

3. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

There seems to always be a new fad, and many are good for some that are lacking in something, and need to get pumped up. I also think many of us will overdo it. Like, if one pill helped me this much, then 2 will help me twice as much. I don't have an addictive personality, or, let's say, eat a bunch of chips one day, and have to do it every day of the week. Same with sugar. I rarely have any sugar, only what comes naturally in fruits etc. I use stevia. But what I am saying, is that I am lucky I don't overdo anything it seems. I under-do things, and am still coaxing myself out of my chair:) I wish it would become easier to get up and go. Maybe it will.

I just don't want anyone to think that I am saying it's easy, it's work to eat right (as good as possible) and do some form of non-sedentary activity each day (I hate the word exercise, as well as "diet" lol). Some doctors seem to just know more than others, I used to think they were all, all-knowing, but recently, I was diagnosed with bronchitis after years of a once-a-year horrible cough that nothing would calm except codeine cough-syrup. This doc told me to use over-the-counter DM (dextromethorphan). I don't like using anything like that, but omg, it calmed the coughing. And I was able to sleep at night.

By the way, I had always been give anti-biotics before, which didn't do anything.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm very fair and never tan just burn, I hate sunscreen though and only wear it if lounging by a pool or some other situation like that.

Ruby Begonia and Denise Evans like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

lol, Ruby ...just got the memory loss and I'm still chuckling. :)

Ruby Begonia and Denise Evans like this.
  6. Denise Evans

Registered

I agree Bonnie, with all you said. Even if it's overcast, I've learned I can get enough Sun. As long as it's light out;) Whatever works for each individual, and I think that we have to learn more and more about our own bodies and how they work. I can't rely on a doctor all the time to tell me about my own body. That's why when I do go in, he asks me to "tell him" what's going on.

Ruby Begonia and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

I keep it as simple as I can too @Chrissy Page as some regimes there is no way I would even attempt them, let alone keep up with it;)

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Even sunscreen is controversial, and many reports are warning people that sunscreen can actually work in conjunction with the sun's rays to cause skin cancer.
    It seems to me that , at the very least , it could cause problems just because people think that they can safely spend more time out in the sun when wearing the sunscreen, and they do not feel the effects of getting a sunburn like they would otherwise.

I remember when I was a kid, it only took about one really painful sunburn (and a refresher course every now and then) to convince me that spending a long time in the hot summer sun was NOT a smart thing to do.
    Even back then, I was susceptible to heat; so I got up early and was back inside before the extreme heat of the day, and outside again in the evening.
    I have never worn sunscreen, and never had any problems, except for that occasional sunburn; but I am always pretty careful not to get too much sun first thing when it warms up, so I don't get sunburned.
    People in times past have never had any kind of a sunscreen, and there was very little skin cancer, or cancers of any kind for that matter.
    I think that too much sun is not good; but we still need to get enough of it to prevent a shortage of vitamin D, or depression, and the other side effects of the lack of sunshine.

http://www.naturalnews.com/032996_sunscreen_cancer_risk.html

9. Denise Evans

Registered

That is something to think about Yvonne, when did cancer, or a name for the disease come into play in history. I have to find out now, thanks for the post!!

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  10. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I also have to take D supplement due to not enough sun and its also caused by aging in some people. In Nov of 2013, before I knew I was deficient, I was exiting my little porch when somehow my left foot didn't pick up as I was taking my next step and I fell, breaking my wrist. The next year, after a procedure, a doctor told me that sometimes D deficiency can cause a fall just like what happened in my case.

Denise Evans and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

I know as I age, my body is deteriorating. I know I can't stop that, but I do believe we can replace some things we need, and at least slow things down. There's a lady that's 97 here, 2 doors down. She is amazing (and much of it has to be genetics) but I sware I wouldn't have guessed her over 70. I asked her if she had always exercised and she said yes. Her mind is sharp as well;) I am going to ask her more questions when I get the chance, lol!! I told her she is my new hero!

12. Bonnie Thomas

Registered

I tend to be lost on the notion that you should spend some time out in the sun, but be sure to use sunscreens with high SPF that keeps the sun off. I stay confused.

13. Denise Evans

Registered

LOL, metoo Bonnie. I don't use sunscreen, and I do get out quite a bit, even in Winter around here as it's moderate temps on the coast. I have a bunch of D3 but I forget to take it.

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is exactly my thought, too ! My answer is to spend time out in the sun; but NOT to be out there when it is directly overhead.
    If you go out when the sun is at an angle, and not coming down full-force, then you can still get the benefit of the sun's rays, and enjoy being outside, without worrying about sunburn or skin cancer.
    You still have to use common sense and not stay out too long; but since your skin starts to burn when you have been there too long, you are automatically being warned to get in out of the sun, providing you are paying attention to what your body is telling you.
    Since the heat bothers me, and I am apt to just pass out if I am in the heat of the day and outside; I already know that I have to be there before the sun is too strong.

15. Bonnie Thomas

Registered

Proud to say, I maintain about 3/4 acre of land by myself ... even cut tree limbs down when needed.
    When I know that I need to mow the lawn, I always get out there at daybreak on those days. Mid-day in the summer can be around 90-100 degrees and higher. It's about 20 degrees cooler first thing in the morning.
    I'm a morning person anyway, so it works for me. Energy gets zapped in the heat of the day ..:D

Ruby Begonia likes this.