Visits From Dead Relatives Real Or Imagination

Discussion in 'Conspiracies & Paranormal' started by Sandy Wood, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

Lots of people have visits from beyond but usually these visits include the words alien or UFO's. But how many people can lay claim to hearing the voices or smelling something that draws them back to memories of someone they loved who has passed on.

For me I heard my father calling my name a week after he had died. He lived in Pennsylvania, and I lived in Florida. It was a bit scary and yet a comfort in thinking he is wanting to talk to me. That was back in 1992, and I never hear his voice again.

Last year my mother died. A few days after she passed I heard her calling my name so loud to made me sit up and take notice. I had cared for her for several years and kept her home until the day she went away forever. So it was sad but again a comfort on a lonely heart.

Then just about three weeks ago I was sitting here typing on my computer and suddenly the room was filled with the wonderful smell of half and half pipe tobacco the brand my dad smoked. The smell lingered for several minutes and I said "Hello dad, I have missed you. Did mom ask you to check up on me? I am doing alright."
    Then a little while later the odor disappeared. That was amazing. I was impressed. I hope they both visit me again. Life after death, yes!

So have you ever had this happen to you? Did you believe it or think it was your imagination at work? Please share your experiences I would love to hear your stories.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No, I can't say that I have, although neither can I say that it doesn't happen.

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

In our country, there are so many superstition when someone dies. Like in the funeral wake, the family of the dead should not accompany the guests to the doorway for another death would occur. But with the coming back of the dead, I don't remember a superstition about it. However, there are lots of stories circulating about a dead visiting his family. That was during my school days. But now, I don't hear such stories anymore except those experiences of the children.

4. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

No, I've never had this happen to me. I *have* (I assume like everyone) had very vivid dreams and even daydreams probably, where I heard my name being called and so on, but I never wondered if it was real in those cases.

I've done some psychology courses and I know that the mind is a very powerful thing... much more complex than any of us can comprehend.

That was on a personal level because you mentioned relatives. On the other hand (there's always another hand, isn't there?) I've had some things happen at Gettysburg over the past 20 years, and on a number of occasions, that simply can't be explained... and I still don't talk about them, so... well, who am I to say? :confused:

Yvonne Smith and Sandy Wood like this.
  5. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

No, never.

6. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi Sandy. Welcome to Senior's Only. I wish I had something to share with you but I've never heard nor smelled anything in the air from any loved one who has passed on. No signs at all. Your post was very interesting though. Good job setting up a thread when you're so new :)

Ken Anderson and Sandy Wood like this.
  7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Sandy Wood. I'm happy to say that I have and it was a wonderful experience. As you I cared for my mother after she came to live with us and her health started failing. It was very difficult for me and I broke down in tears while listening to a jazz CD in my vehicle in front of my house. My mom loved jazz too. I was sitting at my computer which overlooks my backyard. I had just hung a wind chime on a trellis I had put together right outside the window. I had taken note of the taps against the window that it had begun to rain which turned to a soft and steady downpour and continued until it was dark. Then it happened. I heard a strange noise outside the window which was to close for comfort and my heart jumped. I heard it again louder and longer and my wind chime sounded off this time. I slowly pulled back the curtain and unlatched the window and opened it. It was still raining and I scanned the backyard but didn't see anyone or anything out of the ordinary until I looked at the wind chime on the trellis. It had been moved from where I had positioned it. Yeah, I know everyone is thinking that the wind had moved it but there was no wind and it was held in place by a wooden clothes pin so that would happen. The noise I had heard was the wooden pin rubbing against the metal rod of the trellis.

Early the next morning I got my ladder and checked it. I thought it was going to just slide back in place but it didn't. I had to remove the clothes pin and then slide it back in place but I didn't do that. Goosebumps rose up on both of my arms as I thought, 'It was Mom. She moved the wind chime to get my attention." See my mother knew how much I loved wind chimes. I gifted her and so many others with wind chimes. I found the one I had given her still wrapped because she had lived in apartments and had no place to hang it.

I also would like to say that this all happened after I was awaken by her calling my name shortly after she died.

8. Sandy Wood

Registered

Mari North, You mentioned vivid dreams and I know there is another section for such a topic, but I would like to say that some or most people dream dreams with loved ones who have died visiting them or even talking to them through a dream. It may be a way of communication or as you say it may be all wishful thinking coming out in a dream. I guess we won't really know that answer until it is our turn to go.

I have a few experience that are unexplainable and borderline miracles that have happened through the years. I always felt most of these were a gift from God.
    But strange things happen and often we don't see them for what they are and the moment just passes us by.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have also had dreams that were about people who had already died, like my mom and dad, and even of some other family relatives. Other than those dreams, I have never had an experience like you had, @Sandy Wood .
    I was an only child, and very close to both of my parents; and I think that having some kind of a message from one of them would be happy thing for me; but I have never sensed their presence in any way.

In another thread, @Ken Anderson has mentioned a cat of his that had died, but seemed to be pushing its toys down the stairs, and this would be an experience that would be very similar. In his experience, he didn't hear the cat; but the toys made noise when they bounced down the stairs, and kept doing that, even though he was taking them back up the stairs again.

My ex-husband did have that kind of an experience with my dad, but I can't quite remember if it happened before or after my dad passed away.
    In any case, it was one of those unexplainable things.
    He had been doing drugs again, and was in his house , and about to shoot up . He was alone in the house, and then he felt someone (that he thought was my dad) touch him on the shoulder, and said to him "Please don't do that, Son". He said that the touch and the sound of the voice was so real to him that he looked all over the house trying to find out who had spoken to him.
    I remember that this was after my mom had died, and my dad died before a month had passed, and this happened to him right at that time; so I can't quite remember if my dad had already passed away by then or not.

Von Jones and Ken Anderson like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yes, there was that. The post can be found here.

11. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

When my 5 year old granddaughter Lelaina died in a drowning accident some 13 years ago, I rented a house with my daughter Caroline (Lelaina's mother) and supported her in the terrible grief.
    We both experienced a presence of Lelaina several times, and one night especially I felt my bedclothes were lifted by her. Looking back I feel it was all down to creations of the mind caused by extreme grief. Caroline was desperate to have some form of contact, and I did take her to a couple of clairvoyants, but nothing concrete came out of the sessions.
    I believe the mind is capable of producing a wide range of experiences to calm us in times of stress and tragedy, it's all about survival really.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Sandy Wood

Registered

Yesterday I was talking with my aunt who lives in another town. She told me that the people living in my grandparents home in my town have been seeing a small white dog sitting on their stairway. The image comes and goes but is always in the same place. Of course if they walk toward it disappears. I don't know if it is true or not but I remember my grandmother telling us she had seen her husband (grandpa) standing at the top of the stairs the day after he was buried.

I have been reading a book called Life After Life, by Raymond A. Moody, Jr. M.D. It has some experiences that people have shared after almost dying or dying and making a come back. It could be as Terry Page has said, but one way or the other it is a interesting topic.

Linda Binning likes this.
  13. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

My experiences have happened when I am not thinking of the person - just happens
    I take it all in me stride :)

14. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

well, when I was married to my first husband, his mother died during the course of our marriage. Shortly after that we would experience a number of electrical disturbances in the house. The radio would turn on for no reason, the lights would unexpectedly dim, and all sorts of things like this. I had just had a baby which she was dying to see, and she passed before he was born. I do think it was most likely her presence doing those things, because she was a very strong willed person, I think if anyone was capable of coming back, she would. I was honestly surprised she didn't hold off dying, until after the baby was born, so I think she saw him,..and let us know she was there.

Patsy Faye and Von Jones like this.
  15. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

When we moved here (new build of apartments) as I turned the corridor I saw a guy enter the doorway to a flat
    He was smartly dressed and I presumed he was an Estate Agent, then I realised as I neared there was absolutely no sound of him
    entering that flat, the door didn't close behind him either, which makes a noise as its on a ratchet chain mechanism that stops the door slamming
    As I got to it I stopped and listened - absolute silence
    A week later, Fabs saw him too on a floor below ...........