Usps Stamp Out Hunger Canned Food Collection Is Today, May 14th

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, May 14, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) is holding its annual Stamp Out Hunger food drive this weekend.

May 14, mail carriers will be collecting food donations all across the country, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

Over the last 24 years, the USPS has collected more than a billion pounds of food.

The economy is tight, and many people are struggling. Although we hear of scofflaws who game the system and drive shiny new SUVs while collecting food stamps and other benefits, those scammers are not the majority.

Many who need help don't even qualify, and sometimes people just need a few cans of food to stretch their budget. This time of year, the food banks and pantries tend to have low stocks, or can even run out of food. People are particularly generous around Thanksgiving and Christmas, but by now, those extra supplies have run out, and the shelves of the food pantries need to be replenished.

If you enjoy helping people and making a difference this is a nice way you can do so without expending a lot of time, energy, and money. All you have to do is put a bag of canned food at your mailbox early in the morning (right now would be great!), and the postal carrier will pick it up and take it back to the post office, where volunteers will sort it out.

2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We did that once but our mailbox is 1/8 of a mile from our house and there is no place to set a bag except on the ground. I once tried to take food to the food pantry but they don't list an address, only a P.O. box. They really don't want people bringing food, they prefer cash. I'm the suspicious sort.
    I now confine my donations to local individual situations where someone has a real need,

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I wonder if perhaps the food pantry is connected to a shelter, and that's why they don't list an actual street address? Food pantries vary by area, some being quite good, and some much less so. I have a friend who was in need and where he lived, the pantry provided an amazing abundance, but after he moved, the pantry in the new county provided moldy and expired food. It's pretty much hit and miss in some places, with the community playing a huge part in it. Where I am, the food pantries are run by the churches, and the members are the ones who contribute. I've put some food out in the past, I believe they used to give large paper bags for that purpose, but this time, I didn't have anything to contribute.