Using Chatgpt

Discussion in 'How Do I?' started by John Houlihan, Dec 30, 2023.

1. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

ChatGPT was released in November 2022. I decided to ignore it until they got the bugs out of it. Last week I decided it was time to check it out. I am glad I did because I already am using it in all kinds of ways. It’s an incredible tool. In my opinion, it will change the way we work, play, learn, and so on.

Here are a few of things I am using ChatGPT for:

1. Writing short stories
    2. Writing poems
    3. Having philosophical chats with it
    4. Creating debates on various issues
    5. Listing pros and cons on different choices
    6. Asking for advice

That is only a small sample of what it can do. If it sounds interesting, I suggest you give it a try and see if it can be useful and-or fun to use. You can get a free account, which is called ChatGPT-3.5. If it turns out to be really useful in business or other areas, there is also a paid account ($20 per month) with additional capabilities (called ChatGPT-4). Here is how to open an account:

1. Log into chat.openai.com.
    2. Click on Sign up.
    3. Create your account and so on.

If anyone starts using ChatGPT, we can exchange tips on how to use it, our experiences in new areas, some of the plugins that enhance the basic ChatGPT, and so on.

2. John Houlihan

Registered

Example 1: How to tell ChatGPT to write a short story, followed by a poem based on the story.

ChatGPT shows an input box where you can submit your request (called a prompt). Here is the prompt that I typed:

Prompt:
    Please create a short story of about 100 words. The story is about a 15th century magician in some far off land who has created a device
    to draw water out of a town’s dried-out well. Use a writing style that is clear, brief, and simple.

When I clicked ENTER, ChatGPT immediately printed the following story:

Response:
    In a distant realm, during the 15th century, there lived a magician named Eldrin. His town, once flourishing, was now plagued by drought,
    their well a barren pit. Eldrin, moved by the plight of his people, delved into ancient texts and obscure arts. Under moonlit nights,
    he forged a curious device, adorned with runes and intricate gears. This mechanism, when lowered into the dry well, hummed with
    a mystical energy. To the townsfolk's amazement, water began to rise, clear and pure. Eldrin's creation not only quenched their thirst
    but also renewed their hope, a testament to the magic that binds and sustains.

Next, I typed this prompt:

Prompt:
    Change the story to a poem:

Response:
    In a realm distant, in times old,
    Lived magician Eldrin, brave and bold.
    His town, once lush, now faced drought's sting,
    Their well, a barren, empty thing.

Eldrin, heart heavy with his people's plight,
    Sought ancient texts in the moon's soft light.
    With arts obscure and knowledge vast,
    He crafted a device, to hold and last.

Adorned with runes, with gears intertwined,
    A curious mechanism of unique design.
    Lowered into the well, so dry and deep,
    It hummed with energy, roused from sleep.

To the townsfolk's wonder, water arose,
    Clear and pure, as if by magic it chose.
    From the depths it sprang, life anew,
    Eldrin's creation, a dream come true.

No longer thirsty, hope reborn,
    A well revived, no longer forlorn.
    Eldrin's deed, a testament clear,
    To magic's bond, ever near and dear.

3. John Houlihan

Registered

Example 2: How to use ChatGPT to create a debate between a capitalist and a communist.

My Prompt:

Create a debate between a capitalist and a communist about why their system makes the world a better place.

ChatGPT Response:

Certainly! Here's an imaginative debate between a capitalist and a communist, each arguing why their respective economic system makes the world a better place. They use various debating techniques to strengthen their positions.

Capitalist: "Capitalism promotes freedom and innovation. It allows individuals to pursue their dreams, rewards hard work and creativity, and has driven remarkable technological and economic growth."

Communist: "Communism, on the other hand, seeks equality and the eradication of poverty. It's about creating a society where resources are distributed fairly, and everyone has access to basic needs like education, healthcare, and housing."

Capitalist (using appeal to historical success): "Look at the advancements in capitalist societies—higher standards of living, technological innovation, and greater personal freedoms. Capitalism harnesses individual ambition for societal progress."

Communist (using moral appeal): "But at what cost? This progress often comes with exploitation, inequality, and environmental degradation. Communism aims for a sustainable society where people and the planet are valued over profit."

Capitalist (using practical examples): "Capitalist economies are more dynamic and adaptable. They foster competition, which leads to better products and services, and ultimately benefits the consumer."

Communist (using appeal to equality): "Competition in capitalism often leads to monopolies and a concentration of wealth in the hands of a few. Communism advocates for a society where wealth and power are not concentrated but shared among all."

Capitalist (using argument of efficiency): "But communism often leads to bureaucratic inefficiency and stagnation. Without the incentive of personal gain, there is less motivation to innovate or excel."

Communist (using appeal to basic rights): "We believe that basic rights shouldn't be subject to market forces. Essentials like healthcare, education, and housing should be guaranteed to all, not just those who can afford them."

Capitalist (using appeal to individual liberty): "Capitalism values individual choice. People should have the freedom to choose their path in life, start their own businesses, and reap the rewards of their efforts."

Communist (using appeal to social welfare): "True freedom is not just about individual choice but also about social security. Under communism, people are freed from the anxieties of unemployment, medical bankruptcy, and homelessness."

In this debate, the capitalist emphasizes freedom, innovation, and efficiency as strengths of the capitalist system, while the communist focuses on equality, fairness, and social welfare as the foundations of communism, highlighting the contrasting perspectives on what constitutes a better world.

4. John Houlihan

Registered

Example 3: How to use ChatGPT to create a learning dialog between Aristotle and Alexander the Great. Here is my prompt and the response:

Me
    Create an imaginary dialog between Aristotle and Alexander the Great on the virtue of humility.

ChatGPT
    Certainly! Let's create an Aristotle-Alexander Imaginary Dialogue on the concept of humility.

Setting: A quiet evening, with both Aristotle and Alexander seated under a starlit sky in the palace courtyard.

Aristotle: Alexander, as you stand on the threshold of becoming a ruler of great power, let us discuss a virtue essential for true leadership: humility. What are your thoughts on this?
    Alexander: Humility, teacher? I have always thought that a king must exude confidence and strength. Does not humility suggest weakness or a lack of confidence?

Aristotle: On the contrary, Alexander. Humility is not about self-deprecation or weakness. It is the understanding and acceptance of one's own limitations and the recognition of the value and strengths of others. It is a sign of true wisdom and strength.
    Alexander: So, you suggest that a king should acknowledge that he does not know everything and that he can learn from others?

Aristotle: Precisely. Humility allows a ruler to remain open to advice and new ideas, to learn from his mistakes, and to continuously grow. It prevents the arrogance that can often lead to the downfall of the powerful.
    Alexander: I see. So, humility can be a tool for better decision-making and leadership?

Aristotle: Indeed. A humble ruler listens, reflects, and respects others, regardless of their status. This not only makes him wiser but also endears him to his people. It creates an environment where truth and progress are valued over pride and stubbornness.

Alexander: This is a challenging perspective. I must learn to balance the confidence of a ruler with the humility of a learner and listener.
    Aristotle: Remember, Alexander, the greatest leaders are those who recognize their own limitations and are not ashamed to seek wisdom from others. They lead not just with their might, but with their humility and wisdom.

Alexander: Your teachings give me much to ponder, Aristotle. I will strive to be a ruler who is not only respected for his power but also admired for his humility and willingness to learn.
    Aristotle: That will be the mark of a truly great ruler, Alexander. One who is remembered not only for his conquests but for his wisdom and humility.

This dialog aims to explore the concept of humility in the context of leadership, emphasizing how humility can enhance a ruler's ability to learn, grow, and connect with his people, making decisions that are wise and respected.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. John Nopales

John Nopales Well-Known Member
    Registered

No sense of humor.

Me:
    Who was purple and conquered the world?

ChatGPT
    There isn't a specific historical figure or entity that is universally associated with being "purple" and conquering the world. Historical conquerors are often identified by their names, actions, or the empires they led rather than the color purple.

If you have a specific historical or fictional reference in mind, providing more details could help in identifying the figure or context you are referring to. Otherwise, the concept of a purple conqueror doesn't have a clear historical or widely known basis.

Me:
    Alexander the grape.

ChatGPT
    It seems like you're making a playful and creative reference by combining "Alexander the Great" with "grape" to create "Alexander the Grape." Alexander the Great was a historical conqueror who established one of the largest empires in ancient history. The reference to "grape" is likely a wordplay, as it sounds similar to "great" and adds a humorous twist to the historical figure's name.

It's important to note that this is a fictional or playful concept and not an actual historical reference. Alexander the Great did not have any association with grapes in historical records.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

^^That's why I don't go on blind dates^^​

I bet it doesn't like Monty Python, either.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. John Houlihan

Registered

You
    Please write 10 one-liner jokes in the style of Groucho Marx

ChatGPT
    Certainly! Here are 10 one-liner jokes in the style of Groucho Marx:
    1. "I never forget a face, but in your case, I'll be glad to make an exception."
    2. "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."
    3. "I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it."
    4. "Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife."
    5. "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?"
    6. "I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member."
    7. "I find television very educational. Every time someone turns it on, I go in the other room and read a book."
    8. "I intend to live forever, or die trying."
    9. "Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough."
    10. "I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book."

8. John Houlihan

Registered

ChatGPT has a new add-on called Dalle, which can draw original images of anything. What follows is an example of what can be done to create a pictograph, which is a story that combines words and images to teach a moral.

The Church Bell

A young girl is kidnapped by gypsies at the age of five. The last thing she remembers about her hometown is the sound of its church bell. She grows up with the gypsies. When she reaches adulthood, her heart is set on finding her hometown. So, she searches for many years throughout Europe listening to the sound of different church bells. Many times, over the years she hears sounds that are close but are not the true sound. After many disappointments, she is disheartened and ready to end the search.

But then, it happens. She hears a church bell ringing in the far-off distance. The sound is very faint at first but as she gets closer, it sounds more promising. Finally, the sound of the bell is clear enough to remove all doubt. It is the sound of her hometown’s church bell. She is home.

What we hear from the outside world is like the sound of a church bell. The sound of the church bell is a metaphor for the truth. If we listen carefully, we can hear the “The Ring of Truth”. When you wonder if something is true or not, ask yourself, “Does it ring true?’

The image below is an original drawing from Dalle. It is not some existing image copied from the Internet. I asked Dalle to draw several images before I chose the one below. If you decide to start using ChatGPT, I recommend getting the Dalle add-on. It’s an amazing tool for converting text to images.

The Truth.png

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
    Marie Mallery likes this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

One of the questions I asked : how can you help in daily living
    I can assist you with various aspects of day-to-day living. Here are some ways I can be helpful:
    1. **Information Retrieval:** I can provide information on a wide range of topics, helping you answer questions, learn new things, or stay informed.
    2. **Language Translation:** If you need assistance with translating text from one language to another, I can help with that.
    3. **Writing Assistance:** Whether you need help drafting an email, creating content, or improving your writing, I can offer suggestions and guidance.
    4. **Task Automation:** I can assist with setting reminders, managing to-do lists, and providing organization tips.
    5. **Educational Support:** If you're studying or learning something new, I can offer explanations, examples, and additional information to aid your understanding.
    6. **Entertainment Recommendations:** Whether it's books, movies, music, or other forms of entertainment, I can provide recommendations based on your preferences.
    7. **Problem Solving:** If you're facing a problem or decision, I can offer insights, suggestions, and different perspectives to help you make informed choices.
    8. **Health and Wellness Tips:** While I'm not a substitute for professional medical advice, I can provide general health tips, fitness advice, and information on healthy living.
    Remember, while I can provide useful information and assistance, there are limits to my capabilities. Always consult with professionals when needed, especially in areas like medical, legal, or financial advice. If you have specific questions or tasks in mind, feel free to let me know, and I'll do my best to help!

Marie Mallery and John Houlihan like this.
  10. John Houlihan

Registered

The Dalle add-on to ChatGPT-4 is a text to art converter. Type in a description of what you want and Dalle produces an image of it. If it is not exactly what you want, you can keep revising it until you are reasonably satisfied. I will post some examples of Dalle art to give you an idea of what Dalle can do. Here is an image of someone following the Tao path:

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 3.01.52 PM.png

11. Celia Jenkins

Celia Jenkins Well-Known Member
    Registered

What an intriguing idea. It's amazing what modern technology can do.

Marie Mallery and John Houlihan like this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I pick the pretty sun lit path for my tao.:rolleyes:

John Nopales and John Houlihan like this.
  13. John Houlihan

Registered

Here is an example of using ChatGPT and Dalle to create some advice on how to live to a healthy old age. Google has many links to the life of Li Ching Yuen who lived to 256 years of age in good health.

Live to an Old Age.png

Marie Mallery and John Nopales like this.
  14. John Houlihan

Registered

Here is an interesting image that I created with Dalle. I would like to know what interpretation or meaning you can give it. What might it be a symbol for?

Attached Files:

15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Path to heaven? Eternity?...

John Houlihan likes this.