Uploading Photos

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Sifu Phil Bonifonte, Nov 21, 2015.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Regarding the "My picture uploads sideways" issues...I don't think there's a forum fix other than an Add-On for users to Rotate once the pic has been uploaded. But there may be a User work-around.

This seems to only be an issue with pics from some cell phones that then get uploaded in their original format. I was able to get my rotated cell phone pic to upload right side-up by renaming & saving it through a photo program before uploading it (thus somehow changing the phone camera's format.)

Here's a bunch of different stuff I looked at, just for grins.

This is the full-sized pic unmodified off of my phone, 3024 x 4032 (2.15mb)
    IMG_0070.JPG
    (This picture's thumbnail also displays sideways in the Uploaded Files section at the bottom.)

Here is that same pic I opened in a photo program and merely resaved under a new name.
    Same 3024 x 4032 dimensions, but for some reason saved as a smaller file size (1.17mb):​
    IMG_0070 barely smaller.jpg
    It uploaded fine without being rotated by the system.

Every time I run a cell phone pic through a picture/photo program (even if it's just to save under a different name or to save it over the original file), it uploads fine. I think this step changes the format.

I experienced the "rotated pic" issue for the very first time today when I uploaded this unmodified owl pic to a thread to show my iPhone12 Mini's camera quality. Before then, I never experienced a cell phone pic problem because I always reduce their file size first (meaning their original format always gets modified.) All of those owl pics I've posted were from my iPhone...they all displayed fine because they were all run through my photo software.

For comparison purposes, here is a native Canon pic 4000 x 3000 (4.06Mb)​
    IMG_0821.JPG
    As you can see, it's not pixel size or the file size that's causing the rotation. (Not to run too far afield, but some thumbnails on my new iPhone have displayed sideways, as have some cellphone pics I copied to my laptop. I have never had that problem with any other phone, and I can find no settings on the phone that might remediate it.)

Maybe this is all "lots of data but no information." But it seems that the only system-rotated pics are the unmodified ones from some cell phones (my unmodified iPhone12 pics have an issue, Yvonne Smith's iPhone11 pics upload fine, Silvia Benoit's phone pics have an issue, others seem to be OK.) I read that this is known to happen with some cell phone pics on many forums (I've personally seen it elsewhere.) I saw nothing as a fix besides a "Rotate Picture" add-on, which seems unnecessary for the volume of issues we [don't] have.

I don't know if the affected folks would want to run their pics through a picture program before uploading (even if it's just to rename them.) It's an easy fix for those who are so inclined...Open, then SaveAs is all it takes. Anyone who has mastered transferring phone files to their computers and then uploading to the forum should be OK with it. Those who log on here from a phone (and upload photos directly) may or may not find that using their phone's photo apps to modify the files fixes it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

All that I have to do in order to fix it is save the photo from the sideways one in the forum thread, pop it up in an editor, rotate it to the proper position, and reupload it. Anyone should be able to do that as long as they do it within the allowed edit time.

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

FYI, photos can be displayed full size (up to about 1,000-pixel width) or, if you're displaying several of them in one post, you can also display them as thumbnails. As thumbnails, the full photo can be displayed by clicking on it. Either one is okay with me.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

For some reason I'm not seeing Jake's attached photos. Does everyone else see them?

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Beth I see them. Maybe refresh, I don't know.

Jake Smith likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I did a refresh and tried a different browser, but I still can't see them. Hmmm.

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

There is one picture he put up that even he can't see. He tried to delete it but it would not move.

Did you see the dog pic? That one we can see.

Jake Smith likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Some of them, I can see, others I can't. When I click Edit, I can't even see that an image has been uploaded.

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Not sure which dog pic you mean, Marie. :D

10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Can you see this,it is one of the pic's.
    [​IMG]

Jake Smith likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

Can you people in the twilight zone see them yet?

Jake Smith likes this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

How many dogs are you seeing ?

Jake Smith likes this.
  13. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Now I can't see them. Only IMG and a little square box.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  14. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Why are the others saying IMG with a little green box? Do I have to load a photo in some special way? If you can pm me about these pictures and looks like that tomato photo is gone now. weird. Don't want to hijack the thread.

Back on the topic will have to reload hydroponic and container photo's when we figure out why they left.:confused:

15. Ken Anderson

@Jake Smith, I'm not sure where the other posts about your images not being visible are now - either they were in another thread, or maybe Yvonne moved them.

My early posts in this section, such as the OP, suggest hosting photos on another domain, but I no longer consider that to be a good idea. Image-hosting sites have a way of requiring payment after a while, after which the photos are no longer visible, and even the domain that I used to host some of my images in the early years of this forum is no longer accessible because I forgot to renew the domain. It's best just to upload them here.

The best way to upload a photo is simply to drag and drop it in the post box. Then you can choose either to display it as a thumbnail or as a full image. Depending on the situation, I use both from time to time. Often, if I am going to post several photos in one post, rather than making people scroll through them all, I will display them as a thumbnail. Then, anyone who is interested can click on the thumbnail to see the full image. I'll also do that if the image is incidental to the post. So as not to distract from the post, I'll sometimes simply use a thumbnail.

On your posts that just showed the IMG code, I couldn't see that a photo had even been uploaded. With administrative privileges, I could go into your post as if to edit it and sometimes fix some image problems but, in those cases, I couldn't even see that an image had been uploaded, nor could I view the IMG code in edit mode.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    Thomas Stillhere and Jake Smith like this.