Umbrella When It's Raining, Shorts When It's Cold?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We have two umbrella's in both vehicles and two on a stand by our front door. If it's even sprinkles outside, we will grab/use an umbrella if we go outside. Funny, but very few people who live in our complex use umbrella's. We see them running by our apartment without one and it's pouring down. But, then again, we see the same young folks wearing shorts when the temp is 50 degrees!

If either wife and I didn't use an umbrella, we'd be wet and sick. And, walking around in shorts in 50 degree weather...…..sick as well.

Funny that to see so many young people walking to work on the streets of New York and they all have umbrella's or using a newspaper to cover their heads. Most likely wouldn't find anyone there wearing shorts in the middle of the winter...……..but, then again, the younger generation really try to act brave.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am not exactly the younger generation but I have shoveled snow in shorts, a tee-shirt, and flip-flops. If it's only a five-minute job, there's no point in dressing up like an Eskimo, or perhaps I should be sensitive to our neighbors to the northwest and call them Inuits. I go to the store dressed that way, sometimes in below zero weather, although I do sometimes consider the plight I'd be in if I were to break down or get stuck. Otherwise, I have a heater in the car and it takes less than a minute for me to get from the house to the car and from the car to the store, etc. As for umbrellas, I frequently find myself wishing I had an umbrella, mostly because I hate getting rain on my glasses, but although I frequently buy the things, I can never find an umbrella when I need one. New Yorkers are wusses.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I never use an umbrella. I don't walk in the rain and the short distance from my car to the store won't kill me.

My grandson in CA wears shorts all year.

There's also a big difference in winter weather between NY and CA or FL.

Mary Robi likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

New Yorkers are "wusses"......really LOL!!

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Some of my high school classmates, who still live in the area of our old high school, call people who people/Snowbirds who want to escape the winter and live in Florida "wusses". I asked them on Facebook, "how do you handle the winters there?" and they replied "just fine".

Well, I'm in shorts as I write this post, but if I go outside, my jeans are hanging up in the bedroom, yelling to me...…."don't go out without wearing me!" Shorts come off and jeans go on. Now, when we lived in Colorado, and move back, wearing the jeans in the fall and winter are a must. The shorts get stored during those months.

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Every child in the UK, particularly the North and West have an umbrella transplanted onto their shoulders soon after they're born...it rains so much here....;)

Fortunately not so much rain here in the south, but every single person in the UK owns more than one Umbrella ( Brolly is what we call them for short)

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  7. William DeFox

William DeFox Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

In my part of the U.S., umbrellas are uncommon, with most people seeming to prefer dashing through the rain or becoming sodden. I still carry one in my car for the real deluges. Off-seasonal wear of shorts is more common than it used to be, often combined with fashion mixed messages like sweatshirts...

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

On our street, no matter what the weather is there are some guys who refuse to dress in any way other than what is in vogue.
    If one can picture it, it was 27 degrees outside and there were young men walking down the road all bundled up from the waist up, and their pants covering only their thighs. Bare calves and only brightly colored underwear must have been the theme for the week for certainly, those gents were dressed to bring on the babes.

My goodness, was I being a bit facetious? Yup....

Holly Saunders likes this.
  9. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Say that to survivors of 9-11, huh Ken? Faced with terrorist activity 24/7 yet still go about the day, every day, with confidence. I know you're joking. (?)

Ken Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.