Uk Debating Forcing Women To Wear High Heels At Work

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Babs Hunt, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha!!! I am on my feet at work up to 11 hours a day. I have a double herniated lumbar disc, and RA in many of my joints including my feet. I can wear high heels Car to Bar..but never in a month of Sundays could I wear high heels to work.

I read this story a couple of months ago...and there's no way this will ever become a legal workplace requirement here in the UK...it's all just a ridiculous nonsense . In fact The trade Union Congress took this to the house of commons some years ago and it was deemed unrealistic and unhealthy to expect a woman to wear high heels if she's spending most of her worktime on her feet, because it causes OA in the feet, ankles, and lower back...

Patsy Faye and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  3. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Different strokes for different folks! @Gary Ridenour :p Lots of women really like high heel shoes, but I don't think any woman likes being told what she has to do!:eek:

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Gary Ridenour likes this.
  6. Gary Ridenour

Registered

I wore a pair to the draft board physical. they didn't buy it. peeked up my skirt to. preverts

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Ina I. Wonder and Gary Ridenour like this.
  8. Gary Ridenour

Registered

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I loved MASH and Klinger made me laugh so often! :D

Gary Ridenour and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  10. Gary Ridenour

Registered

so do I. its now back on the air here locally. haven't seen it in years. When it signed off, on Feb. 28, 1983, it set a record for the most-watched show in TV history. The series finale was seen by 105.97 million viewers, a record that stood until the 2010 Super Bowl telecast.

[​IMG]

11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, it comes on over here too. And when I can remember it is on I watch it. :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that it would be stupid for employers to do so, but I think they should have the right to require pretty much whatever dress code they want. I can't help but think that the marketplace would remedy the problem, as they will have trouble finding people willing to do that.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

After my wife fell, wearing normal high heels, going to an interview in 2015, we took all of her high heels to the Goodwill. All she has now is pumps and tennis shoes. Luckily, she able to wear black tennis shoes to work. Other than on Friday, which is casual/jean day, she wears business attire to work. Nothing fancy, but is nice looking.

I think companies have a right, and should, have a dress code. To many employees would come to work looking kind of "trashy" if not for a dress code. Years ago, when I would go to interviews, I was shocked (and in some cases, totally shocked) at how some potential employees would come dressed for an interview.

14. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never needed to file for unemployment, so I'm not sure just how unemployment works nowadays. But say 25 years ago, I remember that if a person wanted to ride on unemployment for awhile, they would go to the three monthly (?) required job applications dressed as disorderly as possible. That way they knew their application would go the bottom of the pile. o_O :confused:

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That was how it was in Washington back then, too, @Ina I. Wonder . The company I worked for was hiring a new person to train as an assistant manager, and we had people who came in to fill out an application, and they wore old cut-offs and sandals. At least it was a good way for us to tell who was actually interested in the job and who was just getting in their quota of job apps for the week.
    My boss usually hired the person who called back the most times about the job because he believed that person was the one who really wanted it the most. He would have us mark on their resume each time they called, and then after a week or so, he looked to see who was still calling and that was who he hired.
    That was actually how I got the job there, too; the other lady who worked there and answered the phone told me to keep calling back every day and ask if they had hired anyone yet, and that is what I did. I might have been the least qualified; but I did actually want the job really bad, and was happy to get it.

Ina I. Wonder and Bobby Cole like this.