Translator

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Walter Smith, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Walter Smith

Walter Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I recall one of the first jobs I ever had was working with a translator that used to tell me stories about the WWI. This men was over 80 at the time and I got to learn a lot from him, not only in the translating area, but also from life. One of the most important lessons he taught me was, when we want something we must go for it!

Anyone ever worked as a translator?

Richard Paradon and Ruth Belena like this.
  2. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi Walter! I never worked in that field but I am sure that your boss must have had a lot of good tales to tell you! I have found that a lot of young people love to hear the stories we seniors! LOL, either that or it will put them to sleep!

3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Richard I think it is important that the stories we have and the stories our parents have be shared and passed on to the younger generation. They may not want to hear them right this minute but at sometime hopefully they will ask questions about who is that person in that photo, what did they do or how was it back then.

I have never worked as a translator, when I was in school my French teacher strongly suggested I continue with the language and become a translator. I did not have the support from my family to follow that suggestion, I wish I had been able to take advantage of the knowledge that my teacher had at the time.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  4. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree Pat! My main link to my family is my grand daughter and she has a collection of my emails (or perhaps she has deleted them), of a lot of family history. I followed my family back to the time of William the Conqueror and have a lot of tales from those days to present.