Today's Project

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Frank Sanoica, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My Mustang has finally gotten my "goat"! Bought over a year ago, driven little, uses too much fuel, exhaust stinks, runs like a top. My previous experiences with the famed 5.0L High Output Mustang engine have been very positive, and I know what to expect. Just lack that incessant "drive" I once had to prevail with "the best" results. So, I've dabbled with the obvious (and least costly) during that year, new oxygen sensors, several Engine Control sensors, and so forth, knowing all along that 164,000 miles on it's original Catalytic Converters is pushing the limits. Some authorities recommend replacement routinely after 100,000.

So, yesterday I spent fighting gravely rusted bolts and nuts, and in the evening, finally had everything ready to drop down out of place. Lowered the jack a bit, the damned pipe and converters remained hanging there! Gave up for the day, pain severe in my shoulders. Never before realized how many extreme body movements were used while lying under a car; it used to be child's play for me.

Yesterday, hot in the shop, near 80 degrees, I wore minimal clothing, accepting the fallings of rust, dirt, etc. which would later be showered off. This morning, I asked my wife to locate my heavy coveralls; not found. She produced a "Tyvek" (paper, basically) coverall, thin looking like a spacesuit, her sister had bought at a garage sale. Felling like a fool, glad neighbors cannot see, I wore them while "animalling" that heavy "H-Pipe" down and out. Ford saw fit to make lifetime exhaust components back then (1994), of Stainless Steel. The thing is clean and rust-free:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Years ago, when I first delved into such nonsense, there were no "Cats". Exhaust pipes, components like mufflers, were thin steel, and rusted away frequently. Occasionally, an entire pipe and it's muffler would fall off a vehicle, or be seen hanging down underneath, well before the vehicle's age required major repair. 100,000 trouble-free miles was unheard-of. This 24 year old Mustang still has all the original factory components: the mufflers are marked "Ford", with identifying numbers. The reason for cat replacement is that they tend to become restricted with age, slowing down the exhaust gas flow, belaboring the engine, and consuming more fuel than necessary.

Frank

Shirley Martin and Thomas Stearn like this.
  2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Shouldn't you rather call it This week's project? :D I did the same job years ago but was lucky to use a pit. Can really be hard work. Seeing what you expose yourself to on a daily basis makes me vail my high-top lower than my ribs.
    Keep us posted on you you're getting on.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Thomas Stearn
    Only those who've "been there" can fully understand. Or appreciate the personal effort, whose efficacy has dwindled appreciatively in most recent years, especially for me. What is most troubling for me is how yesterday's "play", has become today's drudgery replete with new aches and pains!
    Frank

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  4. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Needless to say, it should have been "on how you're".....:rolleyes:

Frank Sanoica likes this.