Tips & Gratuities

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When we travel out of state, we like to bring a fair amount of cash with us in the event of a problem with our credit/debit cards. Sometimes, when we use a debit card out of state, including PayPal, they will flag it as possible fraud and place a temporary block on our card until we clear it. Given that we've had such a thing happen, this can be a good thing, but it's not so good when we're trying to get gas or pay for food in a restaurant after ordering,

On the way back, I start spending that cash rather than using cards, mostly because I take part in WheresGeorge.

At the restaurant in the hotel where we're staying, we noticed that they automatically added a 20% gratuity to the bill. Having not noticed this when had lunch there on our way south, we left a tip above that amount, and, of course, no one pointed out that the tip had been added to the bill.

This morning, we had breakfast there. All they had was a serve-yourself hot breakfast consisting of scrambled eggs and bacon, such as you might expect to get for free at most hotels, but they charged $15 apiece for it and added a 20% gratuity although no service was involved beyond setting up the buffet-style breakfast.

Noticing the added gratuity for the first time, and that they had calculated the 20% on the total bill, including the tax, we asked for change on two $20s. We were told that they didn't carry any change, so they wanted a card. Of course, we had cards but since we were angry by then, and there were no signs about not accepting cash, we insisted on paying cash. They ended up knocking off the coin part of it but came up with the change somewhere.

By the way, we weren't the only ones paying cash. We were just the only ones expecting change because everyone else was tipping over and above the gratuity that had been added to the bill. They were expecting a tip over and above the one that was automatically added.

I wouldn't ordinarily make a scene but it's not like we're going to be back here anytime soon. I can understand why some people hate old people.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm almost always a generous tipper unless there's a compelling reason not to be. A cheap diner breakfast at least gets a few bucks, even it that's 30%. On the other hand, I resent being compelled to give a "gratuity." That is not a tip...it's a Payroll Subsidy.

Regarding getting older: I have embraced it. When people do things like that, they don't care how I feel about it, so I am happy to reciprocate. Otherwise, I carry around resentment that truly belongs to others. I don't do that anymore...it would be selfish to not share.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I usually tip the same, unless the service was exceptional, regardless of the cost of the bill, figuring that the person who waits on me in a mom-and-pop restaurant should get the same as the one who waits on me in a more expensive place. When eating alone, sometimes my tip is larger than the bill.

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

As expensive as dining out has become, there is only a small handful of restaurants we patronize now. We tend to avoid any where we have to tip. We usually tip 20% on those rare occasions we do but it’s getting hard to accept what that 20% has become.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We tip well I think. Waitress and waiters work hard for the money and deserve a tad extra.
    I dated a guy once and was appalled at a tip he left, to a known person to me, who gave very good service. She was far from a novice at her job. Was in a nightclub, and she had waited on our table for hours. He left 25 cents. I wanted to slap him right then and there. How rude. I am not sure what happened after that, except the relationship ended not long after. His leaving the tip was clue as to how he really was. If you cant tip decent- then don't go.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We tip, but then again, we aren't rich, so we limit the tip to how we think the service was.

7. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We last dined out at an inn run by a husband and wife. He's the chief cook, dish washer and maintenance man and she waits tables, tends the bar and does the housecleaning. With so little help running a small inn and (3 evenings a week) restaurant, you'd think they are stretched pretty thin and they are; however, they serve a world class dinner. Given that (1) we don't dine out that often, (2) these two made it through covid and a crap economy and (3) serve drinks, appetizers, salads and entrees that are as good you'll get; I tip generously to show appreciation and encourage them to stay in business.

Otherwise, I don't generally tip in chains or other places unless the food and service is exceptional.

Edit Note: I was reminded that I usually put change from a paid bill in the tip jar.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm an over-tipper and proud of it! :)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

There's only one time when I didn't tip a waiter (well, actually I left a penny). He was surly, inattentive and argued with me loudly about whether I had had a Coke or not (I hadn't ordered a Coke and there was only a half-filled glass of water in front of my plate).

I'll tip 15% for so-so service, 20% for decent service and more for good service.

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Ditto. Every one of our kids waited tables while in college and the stories they told were eye-opening. Here's a "tip".... you really don't want to piss your waitstaff off before you get your food. :D:D:D

11. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I can see it's the principle of it, not so much the money, nobody likes to be decieved.
    Having been a waitress and depending on those tips at times, I always tip well. But would not like to be tricked into it.