This Is How I Know I've Had My Face In A Monitor For Too Long

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by John Brunner, Nov 2, 2020.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We've all been on the internet and clicked a link to a page that has been deleted from a website.

We get this:
    [​IMG]

So I took a pic with my phone late yesterday afternoon and was in the process of transferring it to my computer to upload here. I plugged in the cable, picked up my phone, and the time was:

4:04

My first thought was "Crap!!! What's wrong with my phone????"

I should go weed my garden or something.

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Peugeot 404 Pick-up - 1969
    [​IMG]

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Atlanta area code.jpg

Joe Riley likes this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Origin of "404: file not found”

ONE of the most irritating things on the internet has to be the ‘404 Not Found’ error message.

The message is a HTTP standard response code generated when a user attempts to follow a broken or dead link.

This explanation might be pretty straight forward, but could there be more to the story?

As legend has it, the origin of the error message has a very interesting story dating all the way back to the 1980s when a group of scientists at CERN (Switzerland) started working on what would become the World Wide Web.

In order to achieve this goal, the scientists worked to create a database infrastructure that offered open access to data in various formats.

The World Wide Web’s central database was located in the office on the fourth floor of a building — room 404 to be exact.

Inside the office, two or three people were tasked with manually locating requested files and transferring them over the network to the person who made the request.

But not all requests could be fulfilled, because of problems such as people entering the wrong file name.

When these problems became more common, the people that made the faulty request were met with a standard message: “Room 404: file not found”.

The technology would eventually allow the manual processes to become automated, but the error message adopted to be the HTTP standard response code would keep the room number.