Thinking Things Would Slow Down, After Retirement

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Jake Smith, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Twenty-six years ago when we first looked at this place, I hugged one of the big old trees, and Marie always made fun of me for that one. "So today", I got one of her doing it.

DSCN2055.JPG

If she does it again; I show her this one. :D

2. Jake Smith

Registered

A few photos of what's left of sunflowers, missing four tops on the right side of the photo.

DSCN2062.JPG

Few of last years.

DSCN1971.JPG

Have some tomatoes on plants now.

DSCN2076.JPG

Irish potatoes.

DSCN2064.JPG

Cabbage.

DSCN2066.JPG

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Jake Smith

Registered

Side view of the raised bed.

DSCN2065.JPG

Bell peppers are in both beds spread out with tomatoes.

DSCN2071.JPG

Hugel culture bed.

DSCN2070.JPG

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You and Marie have such a beautiful home and land, @Jake Smith ! I really enjoy the pictures of Marie and you and the dogs out wandering around in the woods. It looks like you must have a lot of land to be able to do that ?

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne not as much as it looks, only around 10 acres. But nobody has lived on this property since 1957, so the trees were left alone. Others moving in cut down almost all their trees. We still have some vacant lots here though, but they are selling more since pandemic.

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thank you Yvonne.

Jake Smith and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Jake Smith

Registered

Thank you, Yvonne, for the compliment and the reply. It's plenty of land for us to get lost at times. Being raised in the country myself, of course, I love it; reminds me of the home where I grew up, as a child, in S.C., I'm so glad you enjoy the photos too; it gives me a reason to put them up. :)

Also, I wanted to ask you; do you ever wake up in the middle of the night, and be unable to stay in bed? If so what do you do, to get back to sleep?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
    Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  8. Jake Smith

Registered

It's a beautiful day today, I finally got some sleep, the last two nights. I'm glad about that; I was starting to think I would be up forever. Watered plants, let chickens out, fed dogs, Molly is still keeping on, keeping on.

Marie was up at 5 o'clock upstairs still working, straightening things out, this morning, when I woke, at 7 am. The plants all are thriving, and it makes me happy. Foxy has kept the squirrels at bay, and sunflowers are doing fine.

There's always "much" to do here; guess it's that way for everyone. :)

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I usually do not have any trouble sleeping through the night, @Jake Smith ; but Bobby sometimes wakes up between 2-4 AM and he just gets up and makes coffee and stays up and then naps during the day when he feels sleepy.
    Sometimes, the dogs want out in the middle of the night, and then I let them out, sit and read until they are ready to come back inside, and then I usually go back to bed and fall right asleep again.
    We both take melatonin at night because it helps with serotonin production, anti-aging, and restful sleep, and that works really well for me.

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Yvonne ,it is spring cleaning and rearranging time, putting up winter fall clothes, taking out spring and summer, and not much sleep, this has been a bad week for sleep, if I can't go back to sleep, I just get up and get busy, it helps anxiety.
    We did go to mall yesterday; it was pleasant trip. I haven't been in a mall in years. Got two shirts and a needed pair of walking shoes.
    Only did some vines on the fence, not in the woods last 2 days.
    Hope you and Bobby having a good day.

11. Jake Smith

Registered

It's the steering gear gone bad, the reason it loses the fluid. The cost was $247.99, be here Friday. Always something. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Just a little FYI, Marie: When we have trouble sleeping, we have CBD Sleep Gummies. We only use 1/2 of a Gummy, but that does help us sleep. If this "sleeplessness" takes place during the week, when she has to work the next day, she will sometimes take a 1/2 tablet of Tylenol Arthritis 8 Hour.
    At least this is what we use.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  13. Jake Smith

Registered

Stormy, here today, I will have to work inside mainly; it looks like. Steering gear will come tomorrow, have to change it out if it's not too rainy then. Should have most everything fixed on the truck after that. I'm sure there will be something else breaking again.

Plants are still kicking, so I will have some vegetables soon. To me, there is nothing quite as tasty, as a salad made from "your", garden. I've never had a tomato from a grocery store yet, that tasted anything like one I picked from my garden. Hope "everyone", is doing well and having a wonderful day. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh , Thank for the suggestion. I just got back to the forum. Taking time off for catch up on things at home.

Jake Smith likes this.
  15. Jake Smith

Registered

Good morning everyone, I've had a busy morning so far, I put fertilizer, aka "chicken manure", around all the fruit trees. The way they flowered, I think that they will need it. They're green and healthy-looking this year. I hope you're having a wonderful day. :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024