Thinking Things Would Slow Down, After Retirement

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Jake Smith, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It's rainy and cloudy, so guess I can wait until tomorrow to crank the boat. Always something to do, will have to pick your poison; "so to speak". Leo and Foxy are howling like wolves again. They are happy dogs now after being with us for two years. It's so nice that they no longer try to chew everything up. Didn't change our tail lights, in months. That they used to love to chew up. :D

I will be glad if I can plant some of the plants in this raised bed soon. Too much watering, for me, to keep them happy. Have to wash and clean the porch, soon, it does stay cleaner longer now that Leo, Foxy, and Molly are in their pens. Chickens are happy, and free-ranging all day. The well is still doing great after the new automatic one-way shut-off valve. I'm getting ready for my sixty-eight birthday, Tuesday, and I am glad that this year, so far no one has passed away, which ruins it for everyone, last year our grandchild took his life, right before it, and one of my older brother's passed, and I was so depressed and thought, what a sad day it is. I do not want to sound selfish about celebrating, or living another year, because I would gladly give that up for them to have lived a longer life.

I've started to rant; too much here. :rolleyes:

I hope all of you have a "wonderful day", going to get busy. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Just got back from walk, Molly is still going but slower and not as far. Foxy and Leo love the trail walk.
    We need to write a schedule for work. That way we can keep up with all the things to do with priorities first.
    Jake didn't think Molly would make the walk, she was walking in circles, soon as I let her out the did fine and followed us around the trail, even did some Kung Fu in her Kung Fu cedar tree. She is like some of us, she isn't what she used to be, but she ain't ready for the glue factory yet either. Soon as she is ready to die, I'm sure she will, unless she shows pain, then we may do something or just be there for her.
    I took care of my mother screaming in pain till her last breath, life isn't easy neither is dying. I did ask God to please take her and why. Jake helped them put her in body bag and he was very sad. I wouldn't trade that time I had with her although not easy.

Jake Smith likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

All joking aside Jake saves us more money than he ever spends and he kids about the tractor, he doesn't really want another payment. But he did almost buy a used one last year for $3,500 but it was sold.

Jake Smith and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

I lost a perfect vine excavating day, but tomorrow will be another one before it gets too warm to start. First, I have to get my bug suit ready. Spray pyrethrin on pants and shoe covering.
    I took some pictures of vines a few minutes ago.

Cameras not that good but the tre is covered in vines, the black ones which are the worse to cut, they have real bad thorns or needles on them, hard to see but there are hundreds of them in this picture alone, rhey are killing this tree, as you can see the rotten limb to the right.

[​IMG]

It will take me atleast 15 minutes just to cut off from bottom, then I'll got as high as I can reach to top of vines. Using loppers to do the job. Killing these have saved me, if I don't get a tick disease again, already had Lymm 21 years ago. Powerful antibiotics took care of it.
    [​IMG]

Hard to see them but there are hundreds just in this picture.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  5. Jake Smith

Registered

As for me so far, on my birthday, I painted the bar we built years ago, turning it into a white bar.:D

IMG_20240319_160207318_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20240319_160201818_HDR (1).jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

There are few things more satisfying than rescuing a good tree from vines. The culprits here are kudzu, honeysuckle and English ivy. Show us the after pics, Marie.

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Pk Nancy I'll take some pictures of some of them later. I think we have all of the ones you have too, except maybe Honeysuckle. Some of ours are very large stalks with huge thorns.
    Below is one of the large ones but some are even bigger, Jake gets those with pole saw,

[​IMG]

8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I forgot about wild grapevines --- muscadines, they call them.

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Yes we do have those, but they don't produce like they did in Georgia. We used to eat wild grapes and plums berry's as kids.

Jake Smith likes this.
  10. Jake Smith

Registered

Here's one, Nancy.

IMG_20240319_180650908_HDR.jpg

11. Jake Smith

Registered

@Nancy Hart , the bottom and top close up, same tree.

IMG_20240319_182236527_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20240319_182245536_BURST000_COVER.jpg

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

I had to find some lemons here to make lemonade or lose my mind and health, so I started saving trees a couple decades ago.
    We came here to have an organic nursery I named Tuti Fruiti Nursery and Sassy Ass Acres guard donkey ranch, life had different plans for us. So my donkey 'Rosie and I started pulling vines while Jake was at work. Still doing it only without my donkey.

Jake Smith and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

I
    I got a good couple hour in on these today, amazing how different this small area looks, Jake helped with his new toy, a mower trimmer, it works good, I used my trusted lopper's to cut below and above. Jakes pole saw took care of the dead or low limbs.
    These black vines are the worst here, they will wrap around bottom of pants and tear up some leg.
    We have another pile to take to the field.

Molly is eating chicken and loves sweet potatoes baked, sliced and fried in butter.

14. Jake Smith

Registered

For the last few mornings; when I got up, I found these trash cans had been rummaged through and trash thrown all over the ground. When I picked them up today, I noticed that the two peanut butter jars were over by the tree, licked, and clean, and I thought it was raccoons. I reviewed the camera footage and at 4 am on it, sure enough, it is. :(

IMG_20240319_180650908_HDR.jpg

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Jake Smith

Registered

It was rainy, here, and it rained most of the night, we must have lost power; because the electric clock was blinking this morning. Old Molly has been eating more the last three days. :confused: Happy she is, just surprised is all. I still haven't cranked the boat yet, but I will soon.

We took the truck to town yesterday, the first time since I changed the oil pan gasket, it has no leaks and it's doing fine. Leo and Foxy went with us and enjoyed getting away for a while. I put the small plant's containers in a tub container, with a little water so they won't keep drying out; until mid-April when I can transplant them outside. :)

Marie Mallery likes this.