Thinking Things Would Slow Down, After Retirement

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Jake Smith, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Got a lot done last couple days, had visitors so now I have to finish up dishes and go to bed,

Jake Smith likes this.
  2. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Up again at 3 am, 5: 30 am now, it keeps weighing heavy on my mind about Molly.:(

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Jake, does Molly appear to be suffering? If she seems to be in pain then maybe it's time to consider the inevitable. As hard as it is to let them go, we don't want them to suffer. I feel for you because losing a pet is a terrible thing.

4. Jake Smith

Registered

For the last two years, she has; after the stroke, but she appears to want to live. Every time I think she's dying, she springs back eating, drinking, and walking the trails with us, like again today. She doesn't have her old coordination but gets around pretty well considering her age and lack of weight.

It's like you said; no one wants their pet to suffer, I can deal with the loss, though being sad about it; she's just dragged this to where it's taking a toll on me. If I suspected she was having pain, I would have already put her.

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

We have far too many things going on at once , and that makes for far too many mistakes which really cost us seniors.
    Sometimes I wonder how I got so damn dumb, then realize I'm just old.
    Not much sleep this past several weeks.
    We have about 50 plants to transplant into containers now. Too early to put them out. So when I do put them out, they will be outside container plants, no way am I going to deal with prepping soil.
    Far as the old dog is concerned, she doesn't seem to be in pain, just clumsy, I took her on my walk this morning and she did fine, she loves the trail. She walks slower so I have to double back and forth, but that's ok. She loves a certain Cedar tree, she does what we call Kung Fu { walks in slow motion} under it since she was a puppy and still does. She did her Kung Fu today.

Jake Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  6. Jake Smith

Registered

"Good morning everyone", it's such a beautiful day today, everything is starting to green up around here, gorgeous, Put a photo of the red bird to say since I started to feed them at the bird waterer, I'm, no longer having to catch and release them, out of the chicken pen anymore. :D I'm happy about that.

Molly is still doing fine and enjoying her food, water, and walks spending time with us. :D I'm happy about that too.

IMG_20240128_175717621_HDR (1).jpg

It's to me, always the best time of the year, when spring is beginning or fall has just started. I've been in the greenhouse most of the morning transplanting all the critical plants out of small containers, never slows down. I keep thinking, you dummy; done too many again. :confused: They look beautiful now.

I hope all are having a great day. :)

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Other than things I have to do, except for my walk, I've taken the last couple days off.
    I'll just visit with the 3 dogs and enjoy the nice weather.

Jake Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Jake Smith

Registered

Good morning everyone, another beautiful day. Much to do.:D

Molly's eating better and her bowels are doing better too. Let her walk with me down to the mailbox after she ate all her food, and then she got to visit for a while on the front porch.

IMG_20240315_100555444_HDR.jpg

She loves that, and like always has to drink all the water in the bowl.

Hope "everyone" has a great day.:)

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

I did nothing today but visit the site and cook lunch and dinner. I did workout so I could eat the brown rice.

Jake Smith likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

I may get busy today, started off with walk around trail with Molly, Foxy an Leo, Foxy and Leo are 80% better but still not there. Still in training. Went without leash and only ran into woods once but came back when called.
    I put baby oil on my legs to see if it stops ticks and chiggars, I think I saw one ,it said, thanks fro the snack.:rolleyes:
    Molly just looks at them .She walks a few 1000 ft. then rides on golf cart with Jake while I walk.
    Today is house cleaning day, grocery shopping later.
    Molly is doing good eating, walking and pushing Leo, Foxy away from water oan.

Jake Smith and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

I did cut more vines off fence while on my walk, millions to go. Jake and dogs got impatient nut I just ignored them all.:p

Jake Smith likes this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Finally went to grocery store, now I have lots of strawberries, blueberries to wash and put in freezer, [ they really help with my BP and diabetes], Wash them, then dip in vinegar, rinse well cut up and freeze.
    We only go to grocery about once a month, so lots of work.
    Molly really ate well yesterday, she ate dog food with hamburger then she really went for 3 beef hot dogs. She keeps amazing us. She is walking around her pen now waiting for breakfast.

Jake Smith likes this.
  13. Jake Smith

Registered

"Still not slowing down", got to crank the boat for a while and let it run, binimi tops on now. Want to transplant some of the smaller container plants into raised beds, so I won't have to keep going to bigger containers, There's so many of them. :confused:

The only thing is fixing to get cold again this week, it will do that here, until mid-April, and will have to cover the raised bed to protect them, can do it, but figured instead, try and make it a few more weeks, then do it. The plants in the greenhouse have to be watered more, especially. Just another thing to stay on top of.:rolleyes:

I do hope y'all, are having a "wonderful day". :)

14. Marie Mallery

Registered

I'm hurting from my shoulders to my ankles, :eek:,all the washing, rinsing and cutting of tops while standing over the sink is not easy. I still have to cut up all the strawberry's and put them in containers for freezer. Vine clearing is nothing compared to this.
    I'll be glad to get back in the woods even if means toxic bug spray. Jake had to cut down a tree so I'll be the one cleaning it up and dragging to a pile so he can take it to the field. That is the kind of work I like, not painful.

Jake Smith likes this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

This is my kind of work, of course this picture was taken 4 years ago, but I'm still at it, I want to die with my boots on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]