The Way I See It Is Child Abuse

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Silvia Benoit, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Few weeks ago I was at a local store and I overhead a mother saying to her 3-4 y/o daughter the following "You are ugly...You are ugly...." The child, who was was crying violently, told (countless times) to her mother "No, mommy, I am not." The teacher in me
    made me say to the mother: "Stop abusing your kid or I call the police." The woman, rudely, told me to mind my business. Upon leaving the store I flagged a police car. Both officers went in and spoke to the mother. Days later the store owner told me the mother was issued a summons.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Silvia Benoit

If you were identified in any way while the incident took place, would it be prudent to now be cautious of unknown callers, heard footsteps behind you, future retaliation?

Frank

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I totally understand how you felt, BUT, I have to fully agree with Frank. This "day and age", I wouldn't have got involved. Just too dangerous. What the mother said definitely annoyed you, but if you get a call to testify in court, that may not be too pleasing.

Right now, Americans are not in the mood to be threatened.

4. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Putting any family at risk of government involvement like that is just plain wrong.

5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

@Silvia Benoit
    I agree with you to step up and do what you did. Most people have no idea the damage of words can be specially to children. As a person who studies NLP I understand just how powerful language is.

Terry Coywin and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The one singular most abominable factor that stops us from making a good decision is the fear of a negative outcome.

I wasn’t there so I do not know every detail but if @Silvia Benoit felt so convicted and convinced that the child was being wronged and stood up in an attempt to right that wrong without thinking of any repercussions, my hat is off to her.
    No matter what the future might bring, standing up for another human who is being wronged is an overwhelming statement of one’s integrity and good character.

7. Jeff Elohim

Registered

The system is worse (known for a century).

"'Predators go where the prey is': Lawsuits describe abuse ...
    [​IMG]https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/article/Predators-go-where-the-prey-is-Lawsuits-15790964.php
    The Times Union reviewed dozens of lawsuits from former New York foster care children who say they were abused while in the system, often at the hands of foster parents or staffers at group homes ...
    "
    "Child welfare advocates and experts said the rates of abuse in the foster care system are likely significantly higher than among the general population of children, and existing academic studies seem to back that up. "

8. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Thank you. You could say that "my loco parentis" as a teacher.....and remembering the jokes my parents used to vest on me....made me react as I did.
    I will never forget the hysteric crying and the pain on the child's face...which was almost blue.

9. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Well, some acquaintances told me I shouldn't have done what I did. I believe in preventing.

Martin Alonzo and Frank Sanoica like this.
  10. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Probably the mother knew me since we were in a local store....but the child was my concern.

Martin Alonzo and Frank Sanoica like this.
  11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Silvia Benoit

I have heard two things said many times regarding children:

Folks having the most children are least likely to properly raise them,

And such kids grow up to be JUST LIKE their parents.

Frank

Bobby Cole and Martin Alonzo like this.
  12. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Oddly this verifies what I posted - the government has "more" children than anyone else, and harms many of them - far greater percentage than families do.

But, families with 6 to 18 children often do very well, but it is not a sure thing, and they still do better than government and
    nazi snitches in Germany did.

Remember, government has no conscience, only money to motivate it, like a gigantic corporation selling drugs for kids.... profit is the motive for the system, and the system has harmed millions in the last century.... maybe billions worldwide ...

13. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

You did the right thing. If you hadn't you would be sitting home thinking you should have.

Terry Coywin and Trevalius Guyus like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I understand the "preventing", but an angry parent can be a dangerous one to the child as well as to yourself. Just remember, there are those members here that did warn you. Definitely hope nothing happens, but who really knows?

On top of that, a person really doesn't know who is "carrying" and who isn't. Way to many folks "carry" today.

But, bottom line is.........it was your choice to say something or not.

Now, I'm just wondering how many folks here, that have told you that what you done was correct, would take the chance and themselves do it? Hearing about someone else doing it is one thing, but themselves doing it can be much different.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Cody, if you didn’t live with so much fear, you might to be one of the many folks who put their whole lives on the line to do what is right.
    Caring is what we are SUPPOSED to do and turning our backs is out of the question regarding our own integrity and certainly, not in the realm of Christianity which you so often tout as being your stance.
    Weakness is not in any way preached anywhere in the Bible as being a good attribute.
    Being an adult human being and standing up for what is right, is.

As far as your question about what would I do? Let’s just say that there are a whole lot of people who never wish to harm another in front of me again as God, my wife and the people on the street I live on can all attest.

Now the question is, what would you do if someone were to try to abuse someone in front of you? Turn your head and walk away? How about if it were your wife?

Terry Coywin and Ed Wilson like this.