The Truth About Dhea

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Joy Martin, Aug 25, 2022.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

https://health.howstuffworks.com/human-body/systems/endocrine/dhea.htm

I had never heard of DHEA prior to when an Integrative MD tested me and found I was LOW....and so I started with 25mg at that point. That was over
    20 yrs ago and I get tested now and then and I'm fine. I got a little too high at one point so I backed down on dosing for a while. Now at 84 I'm taking 25mg capsules a couple times a week. For many years I took it daily..

It's reported our DHEA levels start their decline between 20-30 yrs of age.

Again, find a doctor who works with DHEA and get tested...but one can take it to the bank that with age the levels are declined...

DHEA Restoration Therapy by Life Extension

DHEA Restoration Therapy - Life Extension
    This multifunctional hormone and its metabolite dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEA-S) provide critical hormonal benefits in both men and women.
    [​IMG] www.lifeextension.com

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is something that crosses my radar screen every once in a while, and then when I read that--being a hormone--it may cause an increased risk of hormone-sensitive cancers, including prostate cancer, I pass on it. The same goes for taking testosterone supplements.

There seems to be a better chance of benefit to those who are DHEA-deficient than to those who think "more is better" when it comes to anti-aging meds.

So how do they define "low level" in someone over 40? When I got my testosterone tested, I found that the range for "Normal" was so broad as to be meaningless...or so I recall.

Ken Anderson and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Joy Martin

Registered

There are levels appropriate for age groups. I just had labs done in May 2022 and had DHEA tested, I had not tested for some time, and the lab range for my AGE is 35 to 430
    and mine came in at 292 and these days I'm taking 25mg a couple times a week. Levels for age is major. I've been fine taking DHEA for well over 20 yrs. My 95 yr old neighbor takes 25mg just about daily, she's been taking it for 15 yrs or so, got on it after I told her about it.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Joy Martin

Registered

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Joy Martin

Registered

I just called my 95 yr neighbor, living with 2 messed hip replacement BUT she sounds so strong in her voice and mind. And she's been taking Grape Seed Ex and DHEA for at least 15 yrs.. She deals with an HMO doc due to costs etc and they don't do any
    alternative medicine supports....she's sick of him but is stuck....

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Joy Martin

Registered

Hearing Dr. Darrow today and he's the PRP./Stem Cells MD for joint issues...He is hearing from men a lot who deal with Osteoporosis and I'm thinking of the DHEA for this i issue but in his medical clinic he gives or recommends Testosterone for men who had Osteoporosis. Plus with aging, all hormones decline.

Look at this guys and has your docs gone to the Testosterone issue with you?

I believe for me, the DHEA is my saving grace, and could be for the guys too but I'm putting this out there for FYI.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  7. Joy Martin

Registered

Heard my favorite MD and when he has callers about Osteoporosis for one issue, he goes right to decline of Hormones. Our hormones generally start to decline at 20-30 yrs and some are getting helped by testosterone, estrogen and the other hormones, but DHEA is the presursor to hormones and has helped me so much since I started on the lower dose about 20 yrs ago....I get checked every other year or so, but I don't anymore.

Other DHEA Benefits: anti aging, libido, skin, depression issues, osteoporosis and more if you want to look them up.

Just a reminder: We can feel better and DHEA is a good place to start and so little money, not a pharma drug.

8. Joy Martin

Registered

On the ranges and you know everyone is unique and may need more or less of what they are getting from lab numbers. We are not numbers.. I feel so much better seeing other than the real main stream pharma drug pusher md.s.... Even a naturopath is not a huge gun hoe drug pusher.

They would be up on DHEA supports....

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So when you say you started "on the low end," exactly how much were you taking?

I've dried out of supplements in anticipation of a vitamin/mineral blood workup and and gonna be rebuilding my regime from scratch. It kinds sucks because I keep a year's worth on hand. I wonder if I can find a charity to take what I may no longer need.

10. Joy Martin

Registered

When I started back when I was in my 60's, doc put me on 25mg daily and I never went higher than 25mg daily for years....now after all the years, I take 25mg probably every 3rd day or so. My neighbor friend who is 60 and takes grape seed ex for a few yrs now, started on DHEA at 10mg daily, on his own and no doc labs.....I don't think he's gone higher than 10mg and is from what he says has a good libido and has young girlfriends.....no wife.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Joy Martin

Registered

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Joy Martin

Registered

Well, I wonder if any here have researched and done anything with DHEA?

Since I slacked off taking it deaily 25mg I'm beginning to think my levels have dropped...so I now have the bottle on my table here so I am reminded to take a capsule about every day.

Just talking to my 96 yr old neighbor friend and she has Never missed a day in all the years of taking it....she and I believe at least 10 yrs or so.... She has a strong upbeat voice.

Oh, I had a setback as I fell backwards in my bathroom last week...911 came and helped me up. Got a new heavier rubber back rug now for bathroom. My neighbor came over to help figure some stuff out and got me the rug. Not Good.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Joy Martin

Registered

Just got a note from my good friend who helps me, he's 60, he's a user of DHEA and just got a new bottle...

Those who don't know of it are MISSING a lot.

https://www.pharmacist.com/Publications/Pharmacy-Today/Article/dhea-the-fountain-of-youth

DHEA The Fountain of Youth....can you even imagine how many would be so much healther and vital if they knew of it.

OMG, I'm not taking any DHEA now and looking for my bottle and can't find...so I need to order a new supply, could be why I'm feeling so crappppppy..

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024