The Raccoons

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Von Jones, Mar 24, 2022.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Coyote keg party in the block.

Don Alaska and Von Jones like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I hope the benefit continues @Von Jones. Thanks for the high five!

John Brunner and Von Jones like this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

On raccoon watch it's 9:52 p.m. EST. Today is the eleventh day since the first application of the coyote pee which will now be referred to as CP :rolleyes:.

There is a severe storm alert for this area and I heard thunder and see lightning and also hear raccoons squawking nearby. I have wanted to replenish the CP but the weather reports have had rain predicted for the last three days, but no rain until tonight. The motion detector lights near the alley just came on twice and I don't see anything. I want to think it's the wind blowing a tree limb that's triggering it to come on.

10:22 p.m. It's calm now - no rain, thunder, wind or lightning. My watch continues.

4. John Brunner

[​IMG]

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Meanwhile, somewhere in Ohio...

upload_2024-5-7_23-1-50.gif

6. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We have had a few more raccoons hanging around here lately, and they aren't shy. I see them early in the morning when I step outside. I also see them on my camera footage when I review it in the morning. They are feasting on all the cicadas that have started to arrive, and the cicadas are all over the place!! We also have FIVE baby fox that have dug under one of our outdoor buildings that have taken up residence there with their momma. They are cute as can be, BUT I don’t want them here. They sleep during the day and they are up playing-chasing each other all night as I have seen on my camera.

7. John Brunner

I had a friend in Chantilly with the same problem. It's kind of fascinating, because you don't think of fox being adaptable to suburbia like raccoons & possums are.

A Next Door member posted a pic of a fox walking in front of their house carrying a cat in its mouth (I'll not post it here.) General consensus is that the cat was likely road kill, as the two would be evenly matched in a fight.

Krystal Shay and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We have foxes but no raccoons, thanks heaven. Moose are the biggest threat followed by bears.

9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Raccoon watch update. 25th day since first application of CP with no new application due to rainy weather. The temperatures have been where the raccoons would have been very active in the backyard. I have not seen or heard of any since my last update in early May. I did check on the bottles along the fence and they still have the CP scent and didn't need any more added.

10. John Brunner

So exactly how did you apply the CP? Did you open bottles from the seller and just leave them there with the tops off?

11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

John B. I ordered one bottle of the CP. The bottles I'm referring to are empty Pepsi bottles that I drilled in holes and poured in some of the CP just below those holes so the scent travels through them. I did screw the tops back on to keep the rain and other debri from getting inside. My neighbor wondered what the 'wild' smell was and where it was coming from so I told her. She's from Georgia.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

That was a smart way to set them up. I wonder if the raccoons might pack up and leave the area entirely. I can't imagine that they feel safe.

Regarding your Georgia neighbor...did she say anything about the situation with the raccoons? Have they been bothering her? She's probably got experience...and she's likely a good shot ;)

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm beginning to believe that they did leave the area that night or the week of the first application. That's all I ever wanted was for them to go somewhere else.

She didn't have any problems with raccoons. Her house is on a corner at the intersection where traffic is busy; no trees in her yard; keeps her waste bin in her garage and it's well lit from the street lights. She didn't know until I started complaining about them. The one thing she did complain about was the people that lived directly behind her and they always overloaded their waste bin with open food containers and dirty diapers which I mentioned in another thread somewhere. It was awful and the raccoons would drag it out. She feeds the birds and squirrels, John B. What does that tell you? :rolleyes:

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  14. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I was just sitting on my front porch chillin' with a cup of tea and then I heard something and looked over to my right and there was a raccoon was climbing down the tree in front of the porch nextdoor. So tomorrow morning rain or shine I'll be applying some CP over there.

15. John Brunner

They've been established for quite a while, haven't they?

Von Jones likes this.