The Philippines Won A Silver Medal In Rio Olympics

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Corie Henson, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This might be no big deal for you but for us this is something to crow about. We have no gold medal yet and that silver medal won by Hidilyn Diaz, the female weightlifter is only the 3rd silver ever since. And Diaz is the first Filipino female athlete to win an Olympic medal, also she is the first Olympic medal winner from the Mindanao region (the region of our current president).

With her win, the government is giving her 5 million pesos (more than $100k) as incentives and a house and lot as well. Weightlifting is not a popular sport here but I guess it will be now.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson How wonderful for your country and it's National Pride, Corie! I am beaming with happiness for you. I know full-well how much this sort of prestigious achievement can affect the feeling of importance among the world's countries, for a given one's peoples. And in weightlifting, of all things, an effort requiring possibly more dedication, and acceptance of pain, than any other category. Rejoice! Frank

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, what a big thing it is to get all those goodies from the Govt. as well as a silver medal at the Olympics! Proud you should be too. It's fun when a person from your country wins a medal at the Olympics.

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Congratulations!
    [​IMG]