The Madness Of Christmas Shopping

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Holly Saunders, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yesterday I went food shopping in the next larger town that has more supermarkets than nearby. It was only 10.30am when I got there, and the queue for my first choice supermarket car park was out at least a half mile with people waiting for spaces, so I about turned and drove to the next even larger supermarket, where all levels of the multi story car park was full and men with ''spaces here'' signs were standing idly by because there were no spaces at all. I drove on to the 3rd even larger high end supermarket car park which holds a couple of thousand spaces...same story, lots of people driving round and round trying to snag a space. I got one within minutes when I spotted someone pulling out, much to the chagrin of people who were waiting....

Got out, went to the front of the store, and NO trolleys ..none!! I had to wait for someone to come out with their shopping to get a trolley... My jaw dropped when I got in the store...it was like a football crowd... hundreds of people at the checkouts... . Good grief, it was horrible. The shelves looked like locusts had attacked and stripped the place and what was left were fresh foods that had a use by date of just tomorrow, so no chance of getting anything 'fresh' for Christmas day.

Got a few non fresh goods, and left, only to watch as middle class people were losing their tempers with each other over spaces...jeez!! Incredible!!

I managed to walk into the town centre to an independent butcher and fishmonger and get some meat and smoked trout....

I haven't been shopping at Christmas week for more than 5 years because I was always working Christmas week, and even before that we were usually in Spain at Christmas... so I wasn't aware that this happened, especially the week before the big day

Now I know people fight in the sales for White goods, and clothing...but never have I seen such a crowd in the supermarkets....for food....

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  2. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

You tell a great story, Holly! So descriptive felt I was there with you. Heck I wish I were there with you and London!

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It does seem that the crowds and the traffic over here are so much heavier this close to Christmas this year. It might be because for the past few years I have usually done most of my Christmas shopping online. Since my Honey isn't driving anymore I have had to drive him on some errands and the traffic has just been terrible. I usually go to the super market during the hours others are working, etc.. so I don't have a big problem in this area...but I do notice that the stores are not able to keep the shelves stocked as well as they used to.

I need some peanut butter chips to put in some cookies I'm going to bake and Albertson's did not have any when I went the other day...so I'm going to another store today to see if they have them...if not I will bake something else.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll be doing it with my daughter and it will be crowded especially since she can't even go until they get back from Maui very late Saturday night.

We will probably go out sometime Sunday. Depends also when I get there. Haven't decided on Saturday or Sunday yet.

Pros and cons to both days.

Anyway, since it's my daughter driving and looking for parking spots, I don't stress....just tagging along...no pressure on me. :)

5. Holly Saunders

Registered

awwww, despite the supermarket madness, I know you'd love it... :D

Bobby Cole and Lulu Moppet like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

This year, we done a lot of our Christmas shopping online, but did go out on Thanksgiving Day to one store. Lots of traffic, but then again, the population here is large as well.

Good thing for us, we have a Handicap Placard we use. My VA doctor signed the form for me to get one, due to my hip replacement (arthritis hits from to much walking) and foot/ankle pain I can get from to much walking.

Compared to years ago, when we spent almost all night on Thanksgiving and part of Black Friday AM shopping...…..don't do that anymore.

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, even my daughter the shopaholic doesn't do Black Friday like she used to...thank goodness for me. :)

8. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

We would go for a cuppa on the High Street, oi! Holly? I do indeed love Christmas in London!

9. Holly Saunders

Registered

Yes I know Cody, but my point was that this wasn't the Sales, this was grocery shopping!!

Von Jones likes this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Registered

Absolutely, no trip to the shops goes without a cuppa tea at the cafe on the high street...I had one yesterday... :D

Bobby Cole and Lulu Moppet like this.
  11. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

You wouldn't have fared any better at my place, @Holly Saunders. Pretty much the same. Knowing that, I did most of my shopping on Wednesday in the morning and it was fine. But my trolley was so full that I didn't buy enough mineral water and ... made the mistake of trying to buy one more crate this morning. It was as you described...

Thing is there'll be only three days after Christmas for people to refresh stores and buy everything needed for their New Year's celebrations. That will be the next nightmare. I'll probably have to go early in the morning. Looking forward to all things being back to normal. Our infrastructure is simply not geared to this.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  12. Holly Saunders

Registered

Unfortunately @Thomas Stearn we don't have the luxury of 3 days for the shelves to be filled over Christmas because although we have Boxing day on the 26th which is a national holiday all large supermarkets are open as are all department stores and malls , so actually they're all closed only on Christmas day.. no employees working then, so on Boxing day, all shelves will still be empty from Christmas eve!

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  13. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I was trying to say that they will not be filled over but after Christmas, i.e. starting on the 27th. In the morning of that day, shops will also still be empty. And that reduces the time left for shopping after Christmas to virtually two or two and a half days before everything is closed again. Don't want to think of it.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  14. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

No problems here this morning, as a matter of fact, I was thinking about how much waste the stores must have with some of the fresh items. I may change my tune when I go out for a couple of last minute items Monday morning.

@Holly Saunders clean out the refrigerator before your hubby gets home and explain to him how empty the shops were then maybe he will treat you to Christmas lunch at your local pub. ;)

Have a wonderful Christmas!

15. Holly Saunders

Registered

Oh he's going to do that anyway Bea, we do it every year at the pub with the roaring log fire.... :D