The Great Winter Storm Of 2016.....

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Well, they have been warning us about this storm for days now. It has finally arrived, in all of its devastating fury .
    I am sure that no bread or milk remains in any of the local stores by now, because we here in Alabama all know the importance of stocking up on necessary food supplies ahead of these huge winter snowstorms.
    @Bobby Cole and I went to Kroger's yesterday, and got the last three loaves of Dave's Killer Bread, and a half-gallon of cream for my coffee; so we are well-prepared to endure the storm here.

It has been coming down pretty steady all day, and most of the car is now covered in snow, and no signs of letting up yet.
    We probably have at least a half-inch of snow right now, and who knows how bad it will be in a few hours. Our police are already announcing that some roads have been closed, and if we get over an inch of this stuff, probably life will just come to a stop here in northern Alabama.
    How are the rest of you all doing , that live in the Eastern United States ?

Here is a picture of our car buried in snow from the last time we had one of these dreadful snowstorms. You can see just how bad the snow gets out here !

image.jpeg

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It's pretty!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

The storm has finally hit the Mid-Atlantic area, we have been picking up supplies for the last 3 days. It has been predicted to have that the most snow dropped will be over night. I hope this is the only one we get this year.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Feel free to come and get all you want of it, @Chrissy Page ! I am sure that @Ruby Begonia and @Mari North will be glad to share also, and they probably will get their snow in feet and not inches like we get it here.
    Actually, there are quite a few of us who will be in the path of this storm; which is why I started the thread. I think you will get to see lots of pictures of snow in the next few days, Chrissy.
    I am just glad that Bobby and I do not live in northern Idaho any more, and we do not have to have the driveway plowed, or shovel our way out to the barn and feed livestock.
    We were saying that the fitness center will probably be almost empty today, since people here stay home when there is an inch of snow.

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I am looking forward to all your snowy pictures! All they talked about for here for a week was all the rain we were supposed to get today, I was dreading my drive and it pretty much fizzled out which was great for me. :)

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  6. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh yes, @Chrissy Page ... @Yvonne Smith is so right... take it out of here by the dump truck full... I'll pay for your gas! :D

I hope everyone in the path of this monster is safe. If it shifts a little bit north, I could see up to 2 feet... but so far it hasn't shifted, so probably just like 6 to 10 inches for me. There's been a state of emergency declared, but that's pretty customary when something big is expected. In any case, I'm keeping my bod safe and warm this weekend... no need to venture outside at all. :)

Funny thing about that "milk, bread, and toilet paper"... I got to wondering today how many of the people buying it up because it's "tradition" actually even drink milk? With children, sure... but I find it amusing that I suppose some people buy milk when a storm is coming just because they're "supposed to" and don't even buy it at other times. Hmmmm....

7. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

It looks like Connecticut may very well dodge the bullet with only a few inches. IF it continues eastward harder than it goes northward.

Everyone, stay safe, keep off the roads and have fun!

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thankfully gas is cheaper now because it would take a lot of gas from California, Mari! It would also take me a few days, so what are your plans for saving me some?

I wouldn't but milk either. Lots of water though and I have enough toilet paper to last me awhile as it is. Guess I would buy something that doesn't need refrigeration or gas to cook it if power were to go out. Maybe cans of tuna, smoked oysters, beans and maybe some protein bars for breakfast.

Mari North and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Snow.....pretty? Maybe on a Christmas or post card or even in a movie (sometimes) but pretty in real life? Well maybe if I think of it like small rambunctious kids, as in, it's all great if it's on someone's else's lawn far far away. But in general, the only time I like snow is when it is gone but even then I still have the memory of something that ultimately associates itself to another nasty 4 letter curse word very much akin to the s_ _ w word. COLD. (Uh...did I break a rule with that nasty word..... c_ _ d? ).

The ground thus far is still warm enough not to hold the almost white stuff for very long but now not only is it heading for nightfall the temps are dropping down to freezing so by morning the roads will be slicker than the Vaseline on the bedroom door knob (to keep the kids out) and therefore while safe on the inside is testy on the outside.

But, the long and short of it is: If God wants it here, I guess He can put it here and I will just have to buck up and try to think of something good about it. Okay @ Chrissy Page....you win. It's pretty.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

@Bobby Cole , it's not only pretty but it's BEAUTIFUl while it is still fresh and pristine and not having to drive in it or shovel it adds to its beauty. :)

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, I suppose it's all how we look at things. Hearing that somebody tipped over an outhouse is pretty funny to most folks........unless you're the one in it at the time it was tipped over.

Chrissy Cross and Ruby Begonia like this.
  12. Ruby Begonia

Registered

from WFSB Weather: A Blizzard Warning is in effect for New York City and all of Long Island. This is all too close to Connecticut. A shift in the storm track to the north by just 20-50 miles would mean a bigger impact storm for Connecticut. A shift to the south of just 20-50 miles would lessen the impact on the state.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

image.jpg I just looked at my brothers weather in New Haven and it looks like they're getting a few inches tomorrow.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  14. Ruby Begonia

Registered

@Chrissy Page , thanks for sharing that. Yes, New Haven is more south on the shore of Long Island sound and always gets more than we do upstate, closer to Hartford.

Rats, I just looked at my city, the same, 5-8 inches.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  15. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

A state of emergency was declared yesterday for my area, the schools closed until Monday. My concern is the wind, we could lose power and it is too cold to be without heat. The fireplace does not really put out that much heat.

Mari North likes this.