The Good Morning Thread

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Diane Lane, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

In the same town?

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Got that a lot in the army, "it would behoove you...to secure your valuables"! And at work, when the supervisor held a "Behooval meeting"!

3. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Good morning it's still dark here at 9:00 am I woke up to Lisa's alarm at 7:00 am, she has gone to have vaccinations for our trip to India in the New Year. I am making a liver casserole in the slow cooker for later, will to go to bed early because it's a 5am start tomorrow to catch the bus to Finland to get Lisa's European visa stamped.

Have a great Wednesday...
    [​IMG]

oie_floaties.gif

4. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been using a root vegetable here for a while now in my casseroles as a healthier substitute for potatoes, Lisa couldn't translate it to an English word so I finally looked it up

Daikon (Raphanus sativus var. longipinnatus), also known as white radish, oriental radish, Chinese radish or Japanese radish, is another variety of winter radish . It is a large, carrot-shaped root and usually has a white skin, but some varieties may also be black, green or pink. Its flesh is white and mild tasting. It may be eaten raw, marinated, pickled or cooked.

This is the one I have just used, it has a delicate taste and works well as a potato substitute..

daikon.jpg

5. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Only if you lived in London for a while :p
    Didn't like St. Marys - the nuns spoilt it for me, they were too stern :(

7. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Terry Page
    What a busy bee you are - good luck ol chap ! upload_2016-12-14_9-56-16.jpeg

8. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Good Morning All

Couldn't sleep anymore, so up not really being productive.
    Plenty of time to get something done when the Sun comes up.
    Listening to 'Grand Canyon Suite' by Ferde Grofe and 'Appalachian Spring' by Aaron Copland.

Enjoy Your Day...

9. Ike Willis

Registered

Mornin'. And a frosty one it is. We have a balmy, Iowa 10 degrees with a gentle breeze making it feel a slightly chilly -3. If all goes well, we might hit 20 degrees later.
    So, got bored with the normal TV fare last night and sprung for a pay-per-view movie. Thank God it was a cheapie. It turned out to be one of the left's Christmas time gun control movies.
    When I was still a grade schooler, every so often they showed us movies. Usually some boring educational film about some place we never heard of nor cared about, like "South Suckistan" or something. Sometimes, they arranged to bus us to one of my town's three movie theaters for a feature film like "The Robe". The nuns were on guard, to make sure no one sneaked out and run amok around the down town.
    Now, I don't mean to sound anti-religious or anything, but I hate watching Bible movies. Too much talk, not enough action. And then, after you've had the Bible stories told and re-told to you the whole school year, every school year, who wants to sit through a couple hour movie of the same stories?
    I have a cousin who eats and sleeps those kind of movies. He'll start telling me about the latest version of "The ten commandments" he saw. I say, "I know, Bob. I read the book".
    Well, I gotta run my liberal trap line. If you leave them in the traps too long without responding, they chew their leg off and run off thinking they won.
    fiercepeople09.jpg

10. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Ike Willis - well I had to laugh at your story - reminded me of Sam Malone in Cheers, the best modern
    American sitcom set in a Boston bar. Anyway, Sam wants to impress Diane who is very learn-ed and reads
    a lot of books. He says - oh so do I - she says, have you read War and Peace ?
    Oh yea, says Sam loved it, all that war and peace. So Diane says they will discuss the book when she returns from her break.
    Poor fella stays up all night and all day he's reading and digesting
    Then - a customer says - you should have watched the movie Sam ............
    Sam shouts - THERES A MOVIE !! ? :eek: :(
    (That's the gist of it) :p

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

[​IMG] Everyone - its like a spring day here ! :) x

12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I went to Our Lady of Mercy in Chicago for the second grade and when we moved back to Pittsburgh I went to Resurrection for 3 years. We called it Rezzy. :). Hated it too....the nuns were MEAN!

Good morning everyone!

Ike Willis and Patsy Faye like this.
  13. Ike Willis

Registered

=
    I remember that one. "cheers" was one of my favorites too. I even have a cap with "cheers" on it. It's in Czech though. "Na zdravi".
    download (2).jpeg

14. Patsy Faye

Registered

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Those are great substitutes, @Terry Page , and I have been using the daikon (korean) radish, too ! I think I have posted about them a couple of times. We have a small Asian grocery near here, and last summer I got one of those big radishes and made vinegar pickles with it. Then I tried my hand at making kimchi, and used some of a daikon radish in that.
    This fall/winter, after reading @Frank Sanoica writing about using a regular radish in a stew instead of using a potato, I tried dicing one up and put it in soup. It tasted almost like a cream of potato soup once it was done, and was delicious.
    That emboldened me to try just cooking one and eating it like you would a potato, with some butter on top. This worked fine, too, except that the skin has a little bitterness that seems to come out when the radish is boiled instead of microwaved.
    Anyway, they have so many vitamins and minerals, and they are not an inflammatory food like a potato is; so I am also using these instead of a regular potato now.
    Please tell us in one of the food or diet sections more about how you and Lisa are cooking and eating your daikons.

Ina I. Wonder and Denise Evans like this.