The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Sheldon Scott, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I watched the movie last night. Not nearly as good as the book. I don't believe anyone who hadn't read the book would have a clue as to what it was all about.

2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I loved all three books in the series and saw the three movies in the original Swedish versions which were pretty good, I haven't seen the English remakes. Which version did you watch @Sheldon Scott

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't done any of it but heard the swedish version was much better.

4. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

My GS said the same thing.

5. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

My daughter in law recommended the books to me but I thought they'd be too gruesome. I did see part of the first movie and didn't care much for it. The author died of a heart attack and I don't think he was all that old.

Ruby Begonia and Terry Page like this.
  6. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes the author Stieg Larsson sadly died at 50 before his novels were published.
    I really enjoyed the novels when they were published in 2008/9 and the three subsequent movies in the original Swedish versions, but I have changed since and feel now I would find them too violent.

Soon after Larsson's death, the manuscripts of three completed, but unpublished, novels – written as a series – were discovered. He had written them for his own pleasure after returning home from his job in the evening, and had made no attempt to get them published until shortly before his death. The first was published in Sweden in 2005 as Swedish:Män som hatar kvinnor – literally – Men who hate women. It was titled for the English-language market as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and published in the United Kingdom in February 2008. It was awarded the Glass Key award as the best Nordic crime novel in 2005. His second novel, Flickan som lekte med elden (The Girl Who Played with Fire), received the Best Swedish Crime Novel Award in 2006, and was published in the United Kingdom in January 2009. The third novel in the Millennium series, Luftslottet som sprängdes ("The Air Castle That was Blown Up"), published in English as The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest, was published in the United Kingdom in October 2009, and the United States in May 2010.

7. Robert Clayton

Robert Clayton Veteran Member
    Registered

Thаt's а tоughiе. Finсhеr's vеrsiоn is nоt а rеmаkе, but а sеpаrаtе аdаptаtiоn оf thе bооk. Thеy'rе еасh quitе gооd in thеir оwn wаy, аnd еасh is bеttеr thаn thе оthеr in sоmе wаys. I sаw thе Аmеriсаn vеrsiоn first аnd dоn't rеgrеt it, FWIW. If yоu'rе intеrеstеd in thе prосеss оf mаking mоviеs sее bоth. It's аn intеrеsting соmpаrisоn.

Right nоw I саn't mаkе а hugе саsе fоr еithеr оrdеr, thоugh I suppоsе sееing thе Swеdish оnе first wоuld аt lеаst bе сhrоnоlоgiсаl. Yоu'd knоw whаt Finсhеr knеw whеn hе stаrtеd his. Thеn wаtсh his аgаin with thе соmmеntаry оn, аssuming yоu hаvе it оn disс. Hе mеntiоns thе impасt оf thе еаrliеr film, аnd еvеn thе саmеоs frоm it.