The Disabled And The Aged

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Corie Henson, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was young, it is rare to see a person in wheelchair. But now it seems that persons with disabilities have the luxury of going out particularly in malls. Especially aged people, they are everywhere in any public place.

Last night when we were having dinner in the hotel's buffet, I saw a man looking forlorn and probably sick. He has a dextrose (intravenous tube) connected to his arm. He sat in the table to partake of the buffet dinner. Since my sister is a nurse and her husband is a doctor, their opinion was forthcoming with that sight. They said that maybe the guy is terminally ill and the buffet is his last wish.

When I went to the grilling area to order steak, I chanced upon an old woman with a walker (that square thing in lieu of a cane as an aid in walking). I am not discriminating her but what came to my mind was her condition. Could she still savor the food? Take note that my mother is a stroke victim and is already a vegetable.

That's food for thought to us. Enjoy life while you can.

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll bet she can, hopefully. Can you tell anything about the Typhoon. I'm trying to keep as much tabs on it as I can. I understand it's moving so slow it may take three days or so to cross your islands.. Thanks for any input you can give.

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

I believe people with disabilities are nowadays seen down the streets for a sole factor; they are alive!

In the past time, people used to believe that being too aged or suffering from a disability automatically put them in seclusion, and to live under the care of someone or simply as vegetables even if they were not in such condition. By the way, sorry to hear about your mom living this way @Corie Henson.

But back on topic, today people know that with the aid of a wheelchair, a walker, baton, or any other mechanical aid, it is still possible go out there and have a normal life to the extent of the possibilities and autonomy their conditions allow.

And it is also expected that we don't discriminate them, but applaud them for the courage required to try it out and being exposed not just to problems that their limitations may cause, but to social acceptation.

Yvonne Smith and Corie Henson like this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs, sorry for the much delayed reply. I just got back from our Hongkong vacation. The typhoon did a lot of damage in the province of Nueva Ecija and Isabela, the northern part of the country, with the floods. But the reported damage is not really that huge and casualty is minimal. Now we are having a good weather again.

@Carlota Clemens, we had lunch in a classy restaurant last Saturday (in Hongkong). Again, I saw several old people on wheelchair partaking of the food. That scene always reminds me of my mother. Good for those old people in the restaurant, at least they can eat good food. Yes, I also believe in what you said about courage in showing their condition to the public.

Carlota Clemens likes this.
  5. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

As the largest group of people born are starting to become more mature and some disabled more and more research has gone into servicing those people helping them to have a more productive life and to have as much mobility as they can have so that they can state independent as long as they can. Also it is big business and a big money maker. A person in a wheelchair or using a walker is still a productive person.

I am sorry that your mother's health has declined to the state she is in now. I agree life is short enjoy it now because we do not know what tomorrow will bring us.