The Big "fluff" Over Starbucks Holiday Cup.

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Yvonne Smith, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is (to me) about as silly as it gets ! There is just a huge discussion on Facebook, on the radio, and probably on the television as well, and it is all about a little styrofoam coffee cup .
    From what I have read, the Starbucks company has decided that their holiday coffee cup design will just be a plain red cup, with no snowflakes, or any other kind of "Christmas-y" design on it.
    You would think it was the end of the world, or at least of Christianity, the way that people are reacting to this.

Even Donald Trump had to jump on the bandwagon to assert that when he is president, "we will all be saying 'Merry Christmas' again".
    That is not going to fly because there are many, many people who do not celebrate Christmas in any case; and the ones who want to say that to each other, already can do that, regardless of what is on the Starbucks' cup.

So, it seems to me that if someone is upset, they can just not buy any coffee from Starbuck's. There are plenty of other places that sell coffee, and now most of them will probably for sure have a cup with snowflakes or another generic (but winter-looking) cup that relates to the festive Christmas season.

Terry Page likes this.
  2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I think the world is taking to many drugs and it is effecting them. It is getting to a time were you can not buy a black bag because it might be raises. They are trying to be so politically correct that you can not say anything if a person can twist it into something else. When I was a child people would say merry Christmas even if they were of a different religion and nothing was thought about it. Now you can lose your job or live if someone fells you offended them.

3. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm quite happy to bypass Starbucks on the grounds of their aggressive tax avoidance policies. The day they start paying a bit of Corporation Tax here in Britain, the day I might buy a cup of their coffee.

Brittany Houser and Terry Page like this.
  4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

People who get so upset over such trifling things need a mental evaluation, IMO.

5. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

For some reason, corporate America long ago decided to stop being entrepreneurs, and start being politicians. That being said, I have to wonder at what point did we start identifying Christmas with snowflakes, elves and pine trees? Or for that matter, do we NEED a pretty Starbucks cup in order to keep the Spirit of Christmas? Who cares what they put on their cups? Their coffee sux! They need to spend more time learning to brew a decent cup of coffee!

6. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh for crying out loud, as my father use to say. I think people are just way too sensitive these days. I have seen this cut and I find nothing wrong with it. So, it's only red, yeah and the big deal here? Come on we have famine, ISIS threats,senseless crime, ebola, flu season, and yet people are carrying on about a red cup. Please, I think at times we have way too much Social Media.

Brittany Houser likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The uproar about Christians being upset about the Starbucks cups has been largely promoted by atheists manufacturing reasons to ridicule Christians. Oh, you'll find a few nutjobs in any group of people, but I have yet to speak to even one Christian who could care less about the design that Starbucks uses on its cups. Christians have plenty of other reasons to have quit buying from Starbucks anyhow.

[​IMG]